Home Forums Movies Best Original Song 2015 (Vote now in Predictions Center)

Best Original Song 2015 (Vote now in Predictions Center)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 151 through 155 (of 155 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Kyle Bailey
Manuel Colon
24Emmy
  • JOSE
    Participant
    Topics:

I see the producers quite happy. They got Lady Gaga, The Weeknd and Sam Smith. If we were in the 90s… I will say Celine Dion will sing Simple Song 3… and Manta Ray… well, it is a weird choice, but i do like it…

I like “Writing on the Wall” but Spectre was such a horrible movie… and I love Diane Warren, and it is high time she get this oscar… so i want her to win, even tough it means Lady Gaga is an oscar-winner… 

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

This category should be abolished. No rhyme or reason to noms. And nominating that god awful bond song. Ugh.

ReplyCopy URL
    pablozedd
    Participant
    Topics:

Diane is basically Oscar’s Susan Lucci aside with DiCaprio. I really hope their ‘streak’ is over this time.

ReplyCopy URL
    RBBrittain
    Participant
    Topics:

This category should be abolished. No rhyme or reason to noms. And nominating that god awful bond song. Ugh.

I strongly disagree, and I didn’t get all of them right. Listening to them back-to-back just now, the one thing they all have in common is a strong classical vibe — from the purely classical “Simple Song #3” (which I resisted to the bitter end) to even “Earned It” (which I predicted would be the 50 Shades song), which reflects the classical element of old-school soul (IMO the main reason Isaac Hayes won way back in 1971). That may not jibe with modern sensibilities, but that is CLEARLY the direction in which the Music Branch has been trying to steer this category for years. (It almost certainly was part of the motivation behind such controversial moves as the three-writer limit — now raised to four, as with “Earned It” — and the infamous “bake-off” scoring system quickly abandoned after the two-nominee debacle 4 years ago.)

That said, the Oscar itself is voted on by the full membership, which doesn’t have the same motivations as the Music Branch. That, IMO, means the race is between “Earned It” and “Til It Happens To You”; “Writing’s On The Wall” is hurt by the inevitable comparison to “Skyfall” (and Adele), “Simple Song #3” is too classical for AMPAS’ rank and file, and “Manta Ray” is too esoteric. “Earned It” was the biggest hit, and The Weeknd clearly has heavy exposure from his Grammy noms. However, those members who don’t know Diane Warren is the Oscars’ Susan Lucci either (a) are old enough to have heard of Lady Gaga thru her work with Tony Bennett, (b) are young enough to appreciate Gaga’s day job, or (c) are themselves women who’ve survived sexual assault — if not in college, then on the proverbial casting couch. In a year when the overriding theme seems to be remedying long-overdue omissions (though partially thwarted by the Directing Branch thru its snub of Ridley Scott), it seems that, like Leo, this is FINALLY Warren’s year — even if you are appalled by the thought of Gaga as an Oscar winner. (Nothing new; I clearly heard that in Barbra Streisand’s voice when she read Eminem’s name from the envelope 13 years ago.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Gagamon
    Participant
    Topics:

any final prediction?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 151 through 155 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.