Home Forums Movies Best Original Song 2015 (Vote now in Predictions Center)

Best Original Song 2015 (Vote now in Predictions Center)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 155 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Kyle Bailey
Manuel Colon
24Emmy
  • Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

So, Sam Smith won the Golden Globe. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Taking out something in my last predictions for “Simple Song #3.” Should have done that awhile ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Is there a reason “One Kind Of Love” isn’t in the predictions center? Was it deemed ineligible? I want to predict it….

ReplyCopy URL
    Chevi
    Participant
    Topics:

Is there a reason “One Kind Of Love” isn’t in the predictions center? Was it deemed ineligible? I want to predict it….

It’s not eligible for the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone have any stats on Golden Globe winners who missed an Oscar nomination for song? I REALLY want to ignore that Spectre win…

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Participant
    Topics:

The Wiki page for the GG category notes what was nominated/won the Oscar. Their track record the past 20 years has been horrible. Only one or two of their nominees will make it, if that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga could really win this thing now. The fact that See You Again lost does makes it chances a little bit slight, but still it’s the GG and we should not pay much attention.

And her win can actually increase her chances, just because of personal promotion. It could happen. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gagamon
    Participant
    Topics:

I can Til it happens to you , written on the walls, and see you again being nominated , all,  but for now, know who will win is quite difficult to predict

ReplyCopy URL
    pablozedd
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”HunterLogan”]

Does anyone have any stats on Golden Globe winners who missed an Oscar nomination for song? I REALLY want to ignore that Spectre win…

Good news for you. There’s quite a few . .  and many are recent!

1964 “Circus Town” from Circus Town

1965 “Forget Domani” from The Yellow Rolls Royce

1966 “Strangers in the Night” from A Man Could Get Killed

1967 “If I Would Ever Leave You” from Camelot

1979 “The Rose from The Rose” (Can you believe it?)

2004 “Old Habits Die Hard” from Alfie (music and lyrics by Mick Jagger & David A Stewart!!!)

2005 “A Love That Will Never Grow Old” from Brokeback Mountain

2006 “Song of the Heart” from Happy Feet (music and lyrics by Prince!!!)

2007 “Guaranteed” from Into the Wild (music and lyrics by Eddie Vedder!!!)

2008 “The Wrestler” from The Wrestler (music and lyrics by Bruce Springsteen!!!)

2010 “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” from Burlesque

2011 “Masterpiece” from W.E.

[/quote]

Masterpiece wasn’t in the Oscar run tho. It was inelegible.
    And there were only two songs in the category that year. Weird.

Wow, there are a lot of big artits in this list. Prince, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna and even Diane Warren. Not that it means something.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”HunterLogan”]

Good news for you. There’s quite a few . .  and many are recent!

1964 “Circus Town” from Circus Town

1965 “Forget Domani” from The Yellow Rolls Royce

1966 “Strangers in the Night” from A Man Could Get Killed

1967 “If I Would Ever Leave You” from Camelot

1979 “The Rose from The Rose” (Can you believe it?)

2004 “Old Habits Die Hard” from Alfie (music and lyrics by Mick Jagger & David A Stewart!!!)

2005 “A Love That Will Never Grow Old” from Brokeback Mountain

2006 “Song of the Heart” from Happy Feet (music and lyrics by Prince!!!)

2007 “Guaranteed” from Into the Wild (music and lyrics by Eddie Vedder!!!)

2008 “The Wrestler” from The Wrestler (music and lyrics by Bruce Springsteen!!!)

2010 “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” from Burlesque

2011 “Masterpiece” from W.E.

[/quote]

Good work, thanks a lot! I feel confident in predicting its snub now!

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

The Rose was also not eligible. Bette said she wrote the song before the movie. 

I wouldn’t sleep on that Anomalisa song. I could see that coming in. Just don’t buy Fifty Shades or Furious 7 getting Oscar noms. 

ReplyCopy URL
    pablozedd
    Participant
    Topics:

Love Me Like You Do shouldn’t be elegible too then. Most of these pop songs are written and handed to lots of pop singers before one decides to take it. Same for Earned it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Radiomon
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga makes Oscars voters tear up during TIHTY performance

Lady Gaga will probably be honored

The pop star, who impressed many with a performance of The Sound of Music at last year’s Oscars ceremony, is intent on returning to the Dolby Theater next month to perform her ballad Till It Happens to You, which appears in the campus rape documentary The Hunting Ground.

Gaga, together with the song’s co-writer Diane Warren and film-makers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering, have been campaigning in recent weeks on behalf of the song, and the effort has struck a chord with Academy voters. The Guardian spotted a number of members visibly tearing during a recent performance of the song in Beverly Hills. 

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/13/oscar-nominee-predictions-academy-awards-2016

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

My Contenders (after listening):

* “I Run” from Chi-raq (Performed by Jennifer Hudson)
    *  “Fighting Stronger” from Creed (Performed by Meek Mill, Jhene Aiko, Ludwig Goransson)
    * “Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)” from Fifty Shades of Grey (Performed by The Weeknd)
    * “Love Me Like You Do” from Fifty Shades of Grey (Performed by Ellie Goulding)
    * “Hands of Love” from Freeheld (Performed by Miley Cyrus)
    * “See You Again” from Furious 7 (Performed by Wiz Khalifa & Charlie Puth)
    * “As Real As You & Me” from Home (Performed by Rihanna)
    * “Til It Happens To You” from The Hunting Ground (Performed by Lady Gaga)
    * “Flashlight” from Pitch Perfect 2 (Performed by Jessie J or Hailee Steinfeld)
    * “Writing’s On the Wall” from Spectre (Performed by Sam Smith)
    * “Mean Ol’ Moon” from Ted 2 (Performed by Norah Jones or Amanda Seyfried)
    * “Simple Song #3” from Youth (Performed by David Yang & Sumi Jo)

Final Prediction: 

1) “See You Again”
    2) “Love Me Like You Do”
    3) “Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)”
    4) “Til It Happens To You”
    5) “Simple Song #3”

I’m not sure why most people are choosing not to predict The Weeknd’s “Earned It” from Fifty Shades of Grey, but I have a strong feeling that both of that film’s chart-topping songs (the other being “Love Me Like You Do”) will be nominated. Both were hits, both turned their film’s soundtrack into a bestseller and both played a big role in creating the mood for the film. I don’t see why not… unless voters want to spread the wealth amongst films?

“See You Again” will be nominated, if not win. One of the top songs of the year, fits into the movie perfectly and serves as an amazing tribute to Paul Walker. 

I don’t think voters will be able to resist nominating “Til It Happens To You” given that its a collaboration between Academy Award nominee Diane Warren and superstar Lady Gaga and created to raise awareness for campus rape. Heavy stuff… But sure to be nominated.

The last spot is up for grabs… I’m going with “Simple Song #3” because it has a Globe nomination behind it, its part of a critically-acclaimed film and because its different in that its an opera/classical song as oppose to the pop-type songs that are typically nominated in this category.

WARNING:

If voters watched Chi-Raq (and thats a BIG “if” ) watch out for that film to score a nomination, given that the movie is a musical by Spike Lee featuring Academy Award nominees Samuel L Jackson, Angela Bassett and winner Jennifer Hudson… who’s “I Run” is a standout.

I’m choosing not to predict “Writing’s on the Wall” because a lot of people/fans were critical of the 007 song and didn’t care for it. I know it just won the Globe… but a lot of Globe winners end up being snubbed without a nomination and I can easily see this happening to Sam Smith… who is no Adele. I think its important to note that Adele’s Bond song hit the Top 10 on the charts where as Sam’s Bond theme failed to sell or get any airplay. Plus 007 themes have a tough time in this category anyway.

The only other contenders that have a shot (but limited) are “Flashlight” from Pitch Perfect 2 and “Hands of Love” from Freeheld. “Flashlight” is used throughout almost the entire movie up until the end when one of the main characters finishes writing it and performs it at a show. This was a well-seen film, so the song could make it in… It just hasn’t been recognized elsewhere as far as I know, so why now? “Hands of Love” is about equal love from legendary singer/songwriter Linda Perry, so the Academy may want to honor her and her message… But… the movie BOMBED big-time. She has been campaigning hard though and just held a huge event for voters to raise awareness for the song, so… we’ll see if that worked.

Overall, I think this category is the most exciting it has been in a really long time! 🙂  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.