Home Forums Movies Best Picture 2000

Best Picture 2000

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
teri
Problemchild
Jackson Powell
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

O please Graeme. Gladiator’s second half fizzled like flat beer. Plus, there are halos around those tiger pits. The craft in Scott’s films are usually his selling point. Not here. As part of the ‘crowd’, it didnt please me.

And I stand by what I say about Chocolat. That film is so unfairly trashed around here.  I wouldnt give it the win, but it’s worthy of the nomination. Better than Gladiator that’s for sure (lol).

And ‘flashback sequence” ? What does that even mean? I take it you’re not a consumer of the old, classic, chop-saki films straight out of Chinatown?

I thought Traffic was stellar when I saw it in the theatre, but with each viewing, it has lost a lot of the appeal for me. But it’s so Oscary, I’m a tad surprised it lost to that costume drama.

Such is the enormity of perspective.

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Kramer vs. Kramer but Ridley Scott should have definitely won for Alien.  If Ang Lee had won for Tiger, his Pi Oscar would have gone to Spielberg, or maybe O’Russell would have cashed in his IOU everyone claims is in his possession.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should have won. IMO the artistic merit combined with the scale and scope put it over the edge when compared to Gladiator & Traffic (both great movies in their own right). Those four wins were a consolation prize I guess. Lastly, i will NEVER understand the American academys bias against Asian actors. The three main cast members were win worthy at best and nomination worthy at the least.

Dunno MFB. Because their eyes are slanted and their skin is apparently yellow? Lol. Kidding, kidding.

Btw have you watched The Last Emperor yet? My hunch is that the lack of acting nominations just might really piss you off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

Which actors get bumped to make room for Tiger warriors?

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

[quote=”MalickFanboy”]Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should have won. IMO the artistic merit combined with the scale and scope put it over the edge when compared to Gladiator & Traffic (both great movies in their own right). Those four wins were a consolation prize I guess. Lastly, i will NEVER understand the American academys bias against Asian actors. The three main cast members were win worthy at best and nomination worthy at the least.

Dunno MFB. Because their eyes are slanted and their skin is apparently yellow? Lol. Kidding, kidding.

Btw have you watched The Last Emperor yet? My hunch is that the lack of acting nominations just might really piss you off.

[/quote]
    How depressing, it feels like it is going to take decades to balance out the scale.
    It probably will ‘piss me off’ and, although I haven’t seen it I can say it is high on my list of classics to watch. I bet I’ll have the same opinion as I do with Crouching (that the cast in the film act circles around the actual nominaees). 

In Lead Actor we could remove Geoffrey Rush or Ed Harris for Chow Yun Fat
    In Lead Actress we could remove Juilette Binonche or Laura Linney for Michelle Yeoh (who could have won as there is a great narrative there that possibly could’ve pushed her past Julia)
    In Supporting Actress would could remove Kate Hudson for Ziyi Zhang

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia Roberts was not loosing the Oscar that year! Especially to an actress that was mostly part of an ensemble. I think that’s what ultimately killed Ellen Burstyn’s chances. She gave an overall better performance than Roberts, but Roberts was front and center of her film; plus she was Hollywood’s golden girl. But Burstyn would have won a bookend to her Alice Oscar, if I was a voter.

I wouldn’t bump Kate Hudson out. I actually thought she was gonna win this year (I haven’t seen Pollock or Billy Elliott though).

As for Best Actor, like I mentioned above, I haven’t seen Pollock but I hated Quills. Rush gave a great performance but the movie was soo hard to get through; I wouldn’t mind them passing him over lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”babypook”]

[quote=”MalickFanboy”]Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should have won. IMO the artistic merit combined with the scale and scope put it over the edge when compared to Gladiator & Traffic (both great movies in their own right). Those four wins were a consolation prize I guess. Lastly, i will NEVER understand the American academys bias against Asian actors. The three main cast members were win worthy at best and nomination worthy at the least.

[/quote]
    How depressing, it feels like it is going to take decades to balance out the scale.
    It probably will ‘piss me off’ and, although I haven’t seen it I can say it is high on my list of classics to watch. I bet I’ll have the same opinion as I do with Crouching (that the cast in the film act circles around the actual nominaees). 

In Lead Actor we could remove Geoffrey Rush or Ed Harris for Chow Yun Fat
    In Lead Actress we could remove Juilette Binonche or Laura Linney for Michelle Yeoh (who could have won as there is a great narrative there that possibly could’ve pushed her past Julia)
    In Supporting Actress would could remove Kate Hudson for Ziyi Zhang[/quote]

1. Hmmmm. That’s tenable for both.

2. That would have been ok with me, but no way anyone beats Julia that year. Just, no.

3. I thought there was a chance that Kate could join her mom that year as a Mother-Daughter Oscar winning duo. Of all of your suggestions this is the one I’d agree with the most, but I would have nixed Frances McDormand instead.. Ziyi is just sublime, but Marcia Gay Harden is a revelation in Pollock. She deserved that win mightily.

As for the “decades” part, that’s a blink of an eye MFB. Lol. A freakin’ blink.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.