Home Forums Movies Best Picture winners – 2010s as the worst decade?

Best Picture winners – 2010s as the worst decade?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Marco B.
LaChienne
BenitoDelicias
  • Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

I was curiously looking back at past winners from Best Picture category, and I realized that in this decade there were some very fine movies (12 Years A Slave,I’d argue), but no great ones. Is our decade the worst, in terms of picking up Best Picture winners?
    I would tend to say so, but in any case there is still some time to repair the damage.

Mircea Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

I kinda agree. And think how much better it would have been if some of the runner-ups had won (and this is true for every Oscar decade, for me). Tree of Life, Boyhood, Beasts of (…) and all the others.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

While isn’t at the moment, I can see in another ten years that The Artist will be seen as a classic that deserved to win. It was a very ambitious film, and ambitious films usually go down as classics, even though at the time they were general flops (2001 anyone?).

But I agree, about half of the winners didn’t really deserve to win (even though I adore them); The King’s Speech, Argo and Birdman, as opposed to Spotlight and 12 Years a Slave which were the best films, while not most people’s favorite films of their years.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m also in agreement. Out of every year since 2010, I’ve been happy with maybe three at the very maximum. Spotlight, 12 Years A Slave were probably the only two BP winners I was 100% satisfied with, other than maybe The Artist (I had to warm up to that movie after watching it a couple of times).

I didn’t think either Birdman or Argo deserved it. They’ll simply be known as the movies that rode the critically acclaim wave. Hopefully the final 2010 years can attempt to redeem the decade as a whole, but who knows.

Here’s to hoping the 2020’s are a better decade for film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Only time will tell. We’re in the moment and who knows what happens. As of right now I think this decade doesn’t turn out in any different way than any other – some very deserving BP winners and some not so much. It’s always a matter of opinion. For me the first 3 shouldn’t have won but the most recent 3 were great winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, but will some of the past winners from this decade be considered classics? I doubt that, maybe as someone said The Artist is the one with more chances in this sense (although I personally think that it’s a very bad movie).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Martin Scorsese is coming for that 2018 Best Picture Oscar so I think we’re good.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

So far the only one I’ve genuinely liked was Argo (shoot me/eat my ass/etc) but I do not consider it on the same level as the love I have for BP winners of other decades. HATED Spotlight, King’s Speech was perfectly okay, The Artist was a little less than okay, 12 Years a Slave was good but not my favorite of the year. Have not seen Moonlight or Birdman despite both being the only BP nominee I didn’t see that year. Overall marked by better nominees that didn’t win so I’m obviously not blaming it on a trend of films going downhill or whatever nor am I knocking the academy (which I do enough). Just a discrepancy of opinion.

I’m honestly not sure of the staying power of most of the winners. But I don’t think that’s the fault of the 2010s. 1/3rd of the films that managed to survive the Best Picture elim game only did so IMO because no one remembered or cared about them enough to vote them down, in contrast to newer, fresher notoriety.

So overall I think worst decade is a little harsh. Surely there are other earlier decades full of forgettable winners. Maybe Okayest Decade, and still a few years to turn the tides around. Obviously it’s not excusable for the best films of the year to be good-but-great, but still.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

well for me I haven’t agreed with a BP winner since Chicago. I’m getting tired of Academy picking something to “send a message” or be political when really nobody in the public will remember or give a shit about the BP. The worst this decade was Spotlight, Birdman, and The Artist. The only tolerable one this decade for me has been Argo.

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

well for me I haven’t agreed with a BP winner since Chicago. I’m getting tired of Academy picking something to “send a message” or be political when really nobody in the public will remember or give a shit about the BP. The worst this decade was Spotlight, Birdman, and The Artist. The only tolerable one this decade for me has been Argo.

For some reason when I’m on my laptop GD occasionally doesn’t recognize when I hit “y.” So I have to copy and paste the letter. But I did it just now, so I can say “I love you”

ReplyCopy URL
    CitizenBlake
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think there’s been a problem with the quality of the movies of this decade, it’s just that the actually good films rarely are considered in this day and age.

I really only agree with Moonlight (pretty good film), 12 Years a Slave (another pretty good film) and Spotlight as deserving BP winners. In other years, its been complete trash. Look at fuckin Birdman. Did it deserve to win? Fuck nah. In fact, that was atrocious year for BP nominees.

Last decade was way better as we all know, but if this is the future for BP winners, Oscar Bait, then it doesn’t look all that good in the future.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

30s through 60s were all worse. 80s was a terrible time for film as well. There’s so no, it’s far from the worst decade, but most of goldderby seems to hate every movie so I’m not surprised this thread was made.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco11
    Participant
    Topics:

Read it with more attention. It’s not whether this is the worst decade in terms of film quality, but in terms of Best Picture winners quality. There were great winners in every decade you mentioned.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I completely disagree, for me the 1980s are probably the worst, not because movies like Out of Africa, Gandhi, and Chariots of Fire were terrible (The Last Emperor is actually one of my all-time favorite movies) but because there were SO MANY better and more groundbreaking choices, like Blade Runner, The Breakfast Club, Brazil, Die Hard, Back To The Future, and how do you ever forgive Driving Miss Daisy winning Best Picture while Do The Right Thing isn’t even nominated?! I still have yet to see Platoon but I have heard nothing but amazing things.

On the other hand, I think The Artist won only because it was an abnormally weak year for movies and everyone was feeling really nostalgic. As for The King’s Speech… yeah, I dunno. Better than True Grit, The Fighter, Inception, Winter’s Bone, or even The Social Network? REALLY??!!! However, Argo, 12 Years A Slave, and Birdman were all amazing movies completely deserving of Best Picture, with the latter 2 for sure going on to become beloved classics of world cinema. Spotlight was just okay to me, but it is easy to see why a lot of people fell in love with it for it’s important subject matter. My friend Katherine said it best, “Spotlight was amazing, but The Big Short was more amazing and it should have won.” Indeed, I am convinced history will remember it that way as well. I hated Moonlight when I first saw it, but after speaking with several people who LOVED the film, I have decided it is worth a re-watch. Regardless of my personal opinion, it will probably become a future classic.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    robotics
    Participant
    Topics:

Meh, every few years you’re gonna have a bad run. But there’s always some highlights.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.