Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actor 1994

Best Supporting Actor 1994

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
arodfan
Dan Jo

I consider this line up one of the best of the category ever. We have four win-worthy performances and one good performance that shouldn’t be here.

My personal ranking is:

1. Martin Landau in Ed Wood – What can I say? It’s just perfect. Actors playing actors can be difficult, but he nailed it.
    2. Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction – The King of monologues. I’m glad he, at least, won the BAFTA.
    3. Gary Sinise in Forrest Gump
    4. Chazz Palminteri in Bullets Over Broadway – I like Palminteri and Sinise’s performances equally, but I ranked Sinise higher because it seemed like a more difficult role to play. Any of these 4 men would be worthy of a win, seriously.
    5. Paul Scofield in Quiz Show – He’s really good, don’t get me wrong, but c’mon, GG and SAG nominee John Turturro should have been here. If Turturro was nominated instead I would say all five were win worthy, which is something that never happens.

What do you think of this year? Share your ranking of these performances.

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Pulp Fiction yet so I can’t say anything about Jackson. Overall, a good lineup. Yes, even Turturro was a good nominee too but alas, he didn’t make it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Great lineup. Landau absolutely deserved the win. He was incredible. A spot on Bela Lugosi filled with to the brim with exceptional comedy and drama. Best part of an already excellent film.

ReplyCopy URL

Haven’t seen Pulp Fiction yet so I can’t say anything about Jackson. Overall, a good lineup. Yes, even Turturro was a good nominee too but alas, he didn’t make it.

Pulp Fiction is best out of these five films!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

My personal ranking would have to be:

1. Jackson

2. Landau

3. Sinise

4. Palminteri

5. Scofield

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trial of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Golden Globes (TV): Ted Lasso (Best Comedy Series), Jason Sudekis (Best Actor in a Comedy Series), Hannah Waddingham (Best Supporting Actress), The Boys (Best Drama Series), Anthony Starr (Best Actor in a Drama Series)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SDoesNotKnow504
    Topics:

It’s such an amazing line up and yes, Turturro should have been in there in the place of Scofield. But Martin Landau was PERFECTION. It’s amazing the Oscars awarded that performance considering he was in the least “prestige” pic (according to Oscar and their nominations).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

It’s such an amazing line up and yes, Turturro should have been in there in the place of Scofield. But Martin Landau was PERFECTION. It’s amazing the Oscars awarded that performance considering he was in the least “prestige” pic (according to Oscar and their nominations).

I think Landau was also helped by having an overdue factor. He was expected to win in 1988 for Tucker but lost to Kevin Kline in a huge shocking win. (I don’t think Landau was particularly deserving.) Then he had Crimes and Misdemeanors the next year so he was due by 1994 enough to beat people from more popular films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I think Landau was also helped by having an overdue factor. He was expected to win in 1988 for Tucker but lost to Kevin Kline in a huge shocking win. (I don’t think Landau was particularly deserving.) Then he had Crimes in Misdemeanors the next year so he was due by 1994 enough to beat people from more popular films.

He had sentimentality on his side AND he gave a superb performance. That’s truly a winning combo. As for 1988, I think River Phoenix should’ve beaten both.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Someonelikeme
    Topics:

Jackson would’ve been and still is my personal pick. But Landau’s overdue narrative was very real..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

He had sentimentality on his side AND he gave a superb performance. That’s truly a winning combo. As for 1988, I think River Phoenix should’ve beaten both.

I love Running on Empty. Phoenix is great. The scene with Christine Lahti and her father is heartbreaking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I love Running on Empty. Phoenix is great. The scene with Christine Lahti and her father is heartbreaking.

I know, right? One of that decade’s most underrated films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

Samuel L Jackson probably should’ve won this and would win today, but Landau had an overdue narrative and an amazing performance. Too bad Jackson had to compete this year, maybe they could’ve taken the Usual Suspect wins the following year (and Spacey still wins in 99, even more so now without his first win).

And Jackson should’ve won in 2012 for Django too. Sam Jackson with two Oscars for these two performances makes sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I do think Landau’s win truly was a combo of strong performance mixed with an overdue narrative which I could also connect that to Maureen Stapleton’s win and, arguably, Geraldine Page’s win.

There’s no denying how good Jackson and Sinise were. Palminteri was also a good selection.

I concur that Scofield was good but he certainly didn’t compare to that of John Turturro.

To bring up Landau’s other nominations, he was wonderful in both TUCKER and CRIMES & MISDEMEANORS…particularly the latter in which should’ve been an Oscar winning performance but he had Day-Lewis ahead of him in Lead and the powerful work of Washington in Supporting (where he was placed despite being a Lead…we all know how much that happens).

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

One of the best supporting actor lineups the Oscars ever had. They’re routinely stale and full of career achievement victories historically, but here at least, the overdue veteran gave the best performance. Martin Landau earned every inch of this Oscar win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

1. Samuel L. Jackson, Pulp Fiction
    2. Gary Sinise, Forrest Gump
    3. Martin Landau, Ed Wood

The top three are interchangeable for me. I think all of these performances are award-worthy. Landau had the advantage of being a previous nominee with three recent nominations, being a respected veteran actor, and having an overdue narrative. Jackson is my favorite performance from Pulp Fiction, and I think he would have won in another year; he rightfully won the BAFTA. Sinise is probably the performance I remember the most, partly because I, unlike many, still have a fond affection for Forrest Gump and his Lieutenant Dan is so memorable.

4. Chazz Palminteri, Bullets over Broadway
    5. Paul Scofield, Quiz Show

Honorable Mention
    John Turturro, Quiz Show – I would have replaced Scofield with Turturro. I’m curious how he missed after being nominated for the Globes, SAG, and generally being the more memorable performance.

Other Notes
    River Phoenix was robbed for Running on Empty. He delivered an immense performance that was likely overlooked because of his age and the film’s poor showing at the Academy Awards. Lahiti should have also been nominated for Best Actress or won best supporting actress, depending on where you think she belongs.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.