Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

Best Supporting Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 499 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Dana S.
DrewN92
  • Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

If Grant wins the Globe or SAG, I suspect he takes the Oscar. BAFTA seems a given and the coupling of that with another major prize would likely seal the deal. For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

That’s what I am thinking. But I am nervous the HFPA will want to reward Ali since they didn’t for Moonlight, and then BFCA will follow suit because they want to predict the Oscars, and then that could seal the deal for him. Hoping Grant takes BAFTA so I guess it could come down to SAG..

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Now that I have seen Mary, Queen of Scots (an aside: mixed, some of it is great and some of it isn’t – she’s a first-time director) I hope that Jack Lowden gets a BAFTA nomination for his terrific performance as Henry, Lord Darnley. I hope I get to see this actor in more roles in the future, he’s terrific.

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

I see this being a 3 way race between Chalamet, Ali, Grant.

Golden Globes might want to make up for that horrible Aaron Taylor Johnson win and just give it to Ali as a make up. He is also a co lead in a Best Picture contender which only works in his favor.

Grant can win BAFTA. SAG is up in the air. Oscar is anyone’s guess!

Profile picture
    nicholas22
    Topics:

I don’t know what to think about Chalamet’s chances to win because he has been nominated everywhere so he’s beat those expectations but a win still feels a bit far fetched. He does feel like a dark horse if he can win a precursor though because I personally just cannot imagine Grant winning with his good but not great performance imo. Ali also does not seem likely to win again so soon but I’ll decide that for myself when I see him this week.

Profile picture
    Thomas Eagan
    Topics:

I don’t know what to think about Chalamet’s chances to win because he has been nominated everywhere so he’s beat those expectations but a win still feels a bit far fetched. He does feel like a dark horse if he can win a precursor though because I personally just cannot imagine Grant winning with his good but not great performance imo. Ali also does not seem likely to win again so soon but I’ll decide that for myself when I see him this week.

Your right it does come down to those three maybe four with Elliot. Gotta exclude Elliot though because of so little screentime. Ali, Grant and Chalamet are all worthy. After seeing all three I honestly have to say Ali wins here. He was outstanding. Unless voters go to the older need to reward the vet Grant or Chalamet should have won last year. If not I believe Ali was so good they gotta give him his second statue.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Thomas Eagan.
    Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

After winning LAFCA and the Indiewire Critics Poll, Steven Yeun is still not an option in the predictions center for the National Society of Film Critics.

Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/timothee-chalamet-palm-springs-award-beautiful-boy-1203093233/

Timothee Chalamet will receive the Palm Springs International Film Festival’s spotlight award for an actor for his role in “Beautiful Boy.”

Past recipients of the spotlight award include Bryan Cranston, Andrew Garfield, Sam Rockwell, and J.K. Simmons. All honorees received Academy Award nominations in the year they were recognized, with Rockwell and Simmons winning best supporting actor Oscars.

Profile picture
    Dana S.
    Topics:

Mahershala Ali is front runner now and if he wins he will make history as  first Muslim actor to win 2 Oscars.
    Though I’m personally rooting for Grant.

Profile picture
    Golddenny
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Mahershala Ali is front runner now and if he wins he will make history as first Muslim actor to win 2 Oscars. Though I’m personally rooting for Grant.

</p>

We shouldn’t care about his religion but he would be the second black actor in history (after Denzel) to win 2 oscars. And it shouldn’t happens, I mean, who is Mahershala Ali ? Where he was 5 years ago ? Better, much more accomplished actors like Don Cheadle have 0 oscar (same for acting giant like James Earl Jones) but this guy will have 2 ? No way ! And it’s not like his first oscar win was absolutely undeniable…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Golddenny.
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Mahersala Ali would be a very deserving Oscar winner for his PERFORMANCE in Green Book. I would also be really happy for Richard E Grant or Timothee Chalamet, both of whom would also be really deserving. Any of those three would delight me.

Profile picture
    Dana S.
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> We shouldn’t care about his religion but he would be the second black actor in history (after Denzel) to win 2 oscars.

Well, considering Trump’s US right now Muslim black American actor winning 2 Oscars would surely make history.

And it shouldn’t happens

I don’t get why it shouldn’t happen, when Ali did great job in his movie.

Better, much more accomplished actors like Don Cheadle have 0 oscar (same for acting giant like James Earl Jones) but this guy will have 2 ? No way ! And it’s not like his first oscar win was absolutely undeniable…

Richard E.Grant is a very accomplished actor, btw, and he has 0 Oscars right now, in fact it will be his first Oscar nomination. So I’m rooting for him. But I won’t mind if Ali wins.

Profile picture
    Golddenny
    Topics:

A deserving oscar winner for his LEADING performance in Green Book* And a very undeserving two times oscars winner.

Profile picture
    Golddenny
    Topics:

I don’t get why it shouldn’t happen, when Ali did great job in his movie

It shouldn’t happens because, he’s in the wrong category, because he already won an oscar 2 years ago and in my opinion it was not deserved (wasn’t even the best supporting actor in his own movie) and because when you look at the oscar history, nobody should be a 2 times oscars winner with such a limited career and accomplishement. Glenn Close is probably getting her 7th nomination this year and still fighting for her first oscar.

I agree about Richard E.Grant, that’s another reason as for why Ali should not win.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Golddenny.
    Profile picture
    AWDubay
    Topics:

here are the top nine in my Opinion

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

Profile picture
    NameTBD
    Topics:

No comments on the latest controversy that cropped up earlier this week, where it came out that Shirley’s family is very unhappy with the movie, and Ali actually called them and apologized?

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/mahershala-ali-green-book-dr-don-shirley-family-apology.html

After the Shirley family made their displeasure with the film known on NPR, Edwin and Maurice heard from Ali. “I got a call from Mahershala Ali, a very, very respectful phone call, from him personally. He called me and my Uncle Maurice in which he apologized profusely if there had been any offense,” Edwin told Shadow and Act. “What he said was, ‘If I have offended you, I am so, so terribly sorry. I did the best I could with the material I had. I was not aware that there were close relatives with whom I could have consulted to add some nuance to the character.’”

If even he’s apologizing for the way the film depicts his character–who was a compelling person with a interesting life who deserved more than to be a prop in a “white guy makes a black friend” narrative–that has to have some effect on his chances of winning, doesn’t it?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.