Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

Best Supporting Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 499 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Dana_S_
DrewN92
  • Profile picture
    GraemeONeil
    Topics:

I’m not giving up hope that Michael B. Jordan is gonna be nominated.

And one of the strangest things of this award season is how Russell Crowe got no buzz for “Boy Erased”. When I saw that film at TIFF, I was blown away by his work. Its easily his best since “A Beautiful Mind” and might even be better than that…but no traction at all.

Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

Grant for the win. He’s got the narrative, the reviews and the role to propel him to the Oscar stage. He truly supported Melissa McCarthy and displayed great depth and nuance. I haven’t seen Green Book so this is no assessment of Ali’s performance but can he really win again so soon? I doubt it.

Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

Grant for the win. He’s got the narrative, the reviews and the role to propel him to the Oscar stage. He truly supported Melissa McCarthy and displayed great depth and nuance. I haven’t seen Green Book so this is no assessment of Ali’s performance but can he really win again so soon? I doubt it.

I’m in complete agreement. I really hope Grant wins.

I saw Green Book and while Ali was excellent, I think it was a co-lead role and I was much more impressed with Viggo’s performance. I saw CYEFM ages ago, Green Book recently, and Grant’s performance is the one that has stuck with me.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I’m not giving up hope that Michael B. Jordan is gonna be nominated

I can see him somehow taking Chalamet’s spot at the Oscars, especially with the Black Panther buzz and the critical failure towards Beautiful Boy. If AMPAS somehow wanted Black Panther to receive an acting nom then he’s the best shot. It just makes sense to me to nominate a role that was well received from a Best Picture contender instead of a lone nominee in a badly criticized film, but we’ll see.

Profile picture
    Thomas Eagan
    Topics:

I can see him somehow taking Chalamet’s spot at the Oscars, especially with the Black Panther buzz and the critical failure towards Beautiful Boy. If AMPAS somehow wanted Black Panther to receive an acting nom then he’s the best shot. It just makes sense to me to nominate a role that was well received from a Best Picture contender instead of a lone nominee in a badly criticized film, but we’ll see.

Going to be hard to bump Chalamet. He was outstanding. As much as I liked Driver’s performance I think he is the 5th nominee and would be bumped. Plus Chalamet has already been nominated for the other three main awards including Globes and SAG.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Going to be hard to bump Chalamet. He was outstanding. As much as I liked Driver’s performance I think he is the 5th nominee and would be bumped. Plus Chalamet has already been nominated for the other three main awards including Globes and SAG.

Every once and a while there’s a contender who hits most pre cursors and doesn’t hear their name Oscar morning. I don’t see Driver being the one pushed out because of the buzz BKK is getting, especially with the prediced BP nom. I mainly predict Chalamet being knocked down because he’ll be a lone nominee for a badly received film. Makes sense for Jordan to get in from there, especially with the Black Panther push but idk….

Profile picture
    Honey
    Topics:

Every once and a while there’s a contender who hits most pre cursors and doesn’t hear their name Oscar morning. I don’t see Driver being the one pushed out because of the buzz BKK is getting, especially with the prediced BP nom. I mainly predict Chalamet being knocked down because he’ll be a lone nominee for a badly received film. Makes sense for Jordan to get in from there, especially with the Black Panther push but idk….

except 8 of the last 10 years there’s a lone supporting actor nominee lol. And we have Vice + bohemian rhapsody with worse reviews getting nominations

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

The two guys who were bumped in this category recently after hitting the Globes, SAG and Critics’ Choice are past nominee Michael Shannon for 99 Homes and category-fraudulent Daniel Brühl for Rush.  They were bumped for first-time nominee Tom Hardy in The Revenant and a comedic performance by Jonah Hill in The Wolf of Wall Street.  99 Homes and Rush ended up without any Oscar nominations; The Revenant and The Wolf of Wall Street were both up for Best Picture, Director and Actor.  Timothée Chalamet can be nominated, but if anyone is vulnerable to be bumped by a coattail nomination, it is him.  Visibility is the issue here.  Beautiful Boy is a low-priority screener for voters because Chalamet is the only reason to see it (and he does not have winner buzz) and nobody saw the film when it was in theatres either.  BlacKkKlansman and Vice will be far more likely to have been seen.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

The two guys who were bumped in this category recently after hitting the Globes, SAG and Critics’ Choice are past nominee Michael Shannon for 99 Homes and category-fraudulent Daniel Brühl for Rush. They were bumped for first-time nominee Tom Hardy in The Revenant and a comedic performance by Jonah Hill in The Wolf of Wall Street. 99 Homes and Rush ended up without any Oscar nominations; The Revenant and The Wolf of Wall Street were both up for Best Picture, Director and Actor. Timothée Chalamet can be nominated, but if anyone is vulnerable to be bumped by a coattail nomination, it is him. Visibility is the issue here. Beautiful Boy is a low-priority screener for voters because Chalamet is the only reason to see it (and he does not have winner buzz) and nobody saw the film when it was in theatres either. BlacKkKlansman and Vice will be far more likely to have been seen.

Couldn’t have said it better lol

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

except 8 of the last 10 years there’s a lone supporting actor nominee lol. And we have Vice + bohemian rhapsody with worse reviews getting nominations

Yes but Vice and BR have Best Picture buzz, and Best Actor. (With Vice possibly receiving a Best Suporting Actress nom as well) Not to mention both those films you’ve mentioned received Globes and SAG nominations. Meanwhile as the user Riley stated eariler, Chalamet isn’t having winner buzz and he’d be the sole purpose for people to see the screener, and the box office didn’t meet it’s budget meaning not a lot has even seen it either. Black Panther however is a Best Picture contender and will most likely receive a fair amount of nominations meaning their screener will be viewed by voters a lot more. I’m not saying Chalamet is NOT going to be nominated (it is still a possibility) but if anyone’s vulnerable, it’s him. I’m just waiting for the BAFTAS to officially predict.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Vincent Yeoh
    Topics:

The two guys who were bumped in this category recently after hitting the Globes, SAG and Critics’ Choice are past nominee Michael Shannon for 99 Homes and category-fraudulent Daniel Brühl for Rush. They were bumped for first-time nominee Tom Hardy in The Revenant and a comedic performance by Jonah Hill in The Wolf of Wall Street. 99 Homes and Rush ended up without any Oscar nominations; The Revenant and The Wolf of Wall Street were both up for Best Picture, Director and Actor. Timothée Chalamet can be nominated, but if anyone is vulnerable to be bumped by a coattail nomination, it is him. Visibility is the issue here. Beautiful Boy is a low-priority screener for voters because Chalamet is the only reason to see it (and he does not have winner buzz) and nobody saw the film when it was in theatres either. BlacKkKlansman and Vice will be far more likely to have been seen.

Agree with the analysis. What I don’t understand is why BB didn’t perform better at the b.o. I couldn’t wait to see it, and I thought it was well-made and enjoyable. It is based on bestselling books and also quite well-publicized on movie sites like imdb. What could have caused its lackluster b.o.?

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Agree with the analysis. What I don’t understand is why BB didn’t perform better at the b.o. I couldn’t wait to see it, and I thought it was well-made and enjoyable. It is based on bestselling books and also quite well-publicized on movie sites like imdb. What could have caused its lackluster b.o.?

I think it flopped because it didn’t look special. It looks like any other drug addict drama.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Probably due to the fact that it was barely played in enough theatres. I literally drove 40 minutes to see it because no other theatre was showing it, then a week after I watched it there were no more showtimes.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

For me the problems with Beautiful Boy were a lack of energetic direction, and Steve Carell gave imo a poor performance, lacking in energy and charisma. However, Timothee Chalamet was superb and was the sole reason to see the movie. It was interesting to contrast this film with the far superior drug addict movie Ben Is Back. BIB has incredible narrative drive, never lets go for a single moment, and delves into addiction honestly and fully. Both films have performed poorly at the box office but Ben is Back is the better film and deserves to be seen – it truly is outstanding.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actor 2019 Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.