Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

Best Supporting Actress 2019 Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
47 mins ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
M: The Original
marchingwizard
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue the Best Supporting Actress discussion in Part 2.

FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Whelp, I’m certainly ready for literally almost anyone else to come shake up this race. In its current state, it’s thoroughly boring.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher
    Participant
    Topics:

Whelp, I’m certainly ready for literally almost anyone else to come shake up this race. In its current state, it’s thoroughly boring.

Meryl is the one.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I watched Mary Queen of Scots last night. The movie is better than I thought it would be. Idk why no one is talking about it. Maybe because it’s good, not Amazing? It’s a solid film though and both actresses are great.

Margot Robbie is excellent and definitely a supporting character in the film. I think it’s actually quite strange why she doesn’t have more buzz. In such a slow year for supporting performances, you would think she’d get in. She might end up being a surprise contender… we’ll see if she shows up at the Globes first… then SAG, and go from there.

ReplyCopy URL
    AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

reggie

ReplyCopy URL
    marchingwizard
    Participant
    Topics:

I watched Mary Queen of Scots last night. The movie is better than I thought it would be. Idk why no one is talking about it. Maybe because it’s good, not Amazing? It’s a solid film though and both actresses are great. Margot Robbie is excellent and definitely a supporting character in the film. I think it’s actually quite strange why she doesn’t have more buzz. In such a slow year for supporting performances, you would think she’d get in. She might end up being a surprise contender… we’ll see if she shows up at the Globes first… then SAG, and go from there.

It was good but not amazing, exactly. It doesn’t engage you until the middle and feels like a TV series crammed into 2 hours. Plus, both MQOS and The Favourite are period pieces, hence why people may want to award the unconventional The Favourite instead.

I agree both actresses are great but I preferred Saoirse Ronan’s performance more. I thought she carried the film and sort of overshadowed Margot Robbie. Not to say Margot Robbie is not good but I felt like her limited screen time limited her impact on the story. Also probably why her performance isn’t much buzzed about.

Plus, I think Adams, King, Stone and Weisz are all pretty solid and safe nominations for supporting already so it’s only one spot left. And I’m pretty sure that will go to Kidman, so yes I do not see Robbie with much nomination potential as much as I would want her to have.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see a scenario where King takes the CC and SAG but Adams prevails at the Globes and BAFTA (Globes almost always choose the bigger movie star and with the way BAFTAs gave 0 fuck about Moonlight it’s pretty much a done deal). Then it could go either way at the Oscars. King could pull a N’Yongo or a Davis, idk

ReplyCopy URL
    Harmon Van deth
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Globe Supporting Actress Prediction:

• Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
    • Amy Adams, Vice
    • Margot Robbie, Mary Queen Of Scots
    • Meryl Streep, Mary Poppins Returns
    • Emma Stone/Rachel Wesiz, The Favourite

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Ronan and Robbie aren’t competing, they are in different categories. I am counting the days (11 more) before I see their performances! I am hoping Robbie becomes more viable and/or inevitable once people have seen the movie.

Frontrunners I still haven’t seen besides Robbie are Regina King, Amy Adams, and Marina de Tavira.

Of the five frontrunners I have seen they have all been marvelous! I would rank them thusly:

1. Nicole Kidman, Boy Erased
    2. Emma Stone, The Favourite
    3. Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
    4. Michelle Yeoh, Crazy Rich Asians
    5. Claire Foy, First Man

I wish there were three other actresses who were in the conversation: Elizabeth Debicki and Michelle Rodriguez for Widows; and Alexandra Shipp for Love, Simon. While I had mixed feelings about Widows on the whole, the performances by the women in the movie were all wonderful (of the men I only really liked Colin Farrell’s performance).

ReplyCopy URL
    unbb24
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m rooting for Michelle Yeoh to get nominated

ReplyCopy URL
    marchingwizard
    Participant
    Topics:

Ronan and Robbie aren’t competing, they are in different categories. I am counting the days (11 more) before I see their performances! I am hoping Robbie becomes more viable and/or inevitable once people have seen the movie.

You completely misunderstood what I said. I never said Ronan and Robbie are competing, of course I know they aren’t. All I am saying is Ronan deserves a nomination more than Robbie does because her performance was better in the film and she overshadowed Robbie. And I still think both of them are unlikely to happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I understand it; there is way more competition in Best Actress than in Supporting Actress, so Robbie is perhaps more likely. There are clearly going to be quite a few in both categories who deserve to be nominated – and a few that will get nominated won’t deserve it – so we are just going to have wait and see what happens. I am not convinced that Ronan doesn’t have a chance, this is an odd year where there will be huge surprises on nominations morning…

ReplyCopy URL
    marchingwizard
    Participant
    Topics:

I understand it; there is way more competition in Best Actress than in Supporting Actress, so Robbie is perhaps more likely. There are clearly going to be quite a few in both categories who deserve to be nominated – and a few that will get nominated won’t deserve it – so we are just going to have wait and see what happens. I am not convinced that Ronan doesn’t have a chance, this is an odd year where there will be huge surprises on nominations morning…

Yes I do agree that surprises could still happen with any category. Ronan is an academy favourite with her 3 nominations already at the age of 24 and Robbie is basically in every single film now (after wrapping up Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, she is now filming Fair and Balanced), so she is constantly in the spotlight. Even if I think it’s unlikely, I do hope either or even both Ronan and Robbie get in too as I really like both of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

This category has been the one where I keep changing my predictions constantly; I simply can’t make up my mind and am looking forward to more precursors over the next month to help me figure it out. The current top 10 spots (the only ones who have less than 100-1 odds) are:

1. Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
    2. Amy Adams, Vice
    3. Emma Stone, The Favourite
    4. Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
    5. Claire Foy, First Man
    6. Nicole Kidman, Boy Erased
    7. Michelle Yeoh, Crazy Rich Asians
    8. Natalie Portman, Vox Lux
    9. Margot Robbie, Mary, Queen of Scots
    10. Marina de Tavira, Roma

I feel very confident about King, Stone and Weisz; I have decided to wait and actually see Amy Adams’ performance before I decide (and see how she fares with more precursors); I want Michelle Yeoh to be nominated but I just don’t see it happening; I need to see Roma and I do not know de Tavira’s work at all – where I keep on having trouble is between Foy, Kidman and Robbie, and keep switching them in & out of my predictions! At the moment my five are:

Nicole Kidman, Boy Erased
    Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
    Margot Robbie, Mary, Queen of Scots
    Emma Stone, The Favourite
    Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Robbie is in 9th place but I think she has a few things going for her: she’s playing the iconic role of Elizabeth I, which almost always gets nominated for awards; she is a young up and coming actress who has already been nominated last year for I, Tonya; she is on the awards circuit campaigning; the film is well liked and will appeal to older academy members and some younger ones; a later release date in close races can be a factor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dan Jo Galicia
    Participant
    Topics:

Does Claire Foy’s chances is fading? I read First Man is fading its awards buzz and so Chazelle’s.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.