Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 489 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
M: The Original
PJ Edwards
teri
  • Arthur J. Fleck
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been saying for weeks that this race is far from over. Dern was entertaining for sure, but she pales in comparison to what JLO pulled off in Hustlers, which has been doing really well with SAG screenings. Too early to tell, but wouldn’t be surprised if she wins there, too.

Jennifer Lopez gave a much better and far more memorable performance than Laura Dern but I doubt SAG rewards her over Dern because I think there’s bias. And for people like Lopez is very difficult to overcome their biases and win the Oscar. She can totally win the Globe though.

All I have are negative thoughts

BigFish
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion, JLo was the co-lead of the movie. She’s in a movie for way more scenes than Dern The dance sequence alone probably takes around 2-3 minutes. Dern only shows barely 15 minutes across the movie and she chew up that dialogue every single time she talks.

Arthur J. Fleck
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion, JLo was the co-lead of the movie. She’s in a movie for way more scenes than Dern The dance sequence alone probably takes around 2-3 minutes. Dern only shows barely 15 minutes across the movie and she chew up that dialogue every single time she talks.

Well… you can say Jennifer Lopez was the co-lead but the focus was definitely on Constance Wu’s character. It’s a case like Sam Rockwell in 3 Billboards, who was also a co-lead and I don’t see anyone saying he committed category fraud. And I really think he was supporting to McDormand’s character.

All I have are negative thoughts

AnotherVice
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>JLo is definitely supporting. She has a strong presence but the movie is mostly through Constance’s character.</p>
    I think Dern did a great job but with all the hype she’s been getting, now that people are finally seeing the movie they might get that “it’s that it?” feeling because she definitely doesn’t have an award winning performance in her hand. She has one monologue that actually feels forced -and that’s not necessarily her fault- and out of place in the scene.

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I personally think she is supporting although I see the argument for her being co-lead. But, she has much more screen time, more of an arc, and more material than what Dern was given. I think Dern did great with what she was given, but it was by no means one of her best performances and probably just a bit of a let down for people given the hype.

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Globe – Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture

Kathy Bates (“Richard Jewell”)
    Annette Bening (“The Report”)
    Laura Dern (“Marriage Story”)
    Jennifer Lopez (“Hustlers”)
    Margot Robbie (“Bombshell”)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Emmyfan.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Emmyfan.
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Lopez is gonna win the globe but dern will take the oscar.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Nominating Benning was honestly just mean. First of all she’s not winning, second of all she’s probably not getting an Oscar nom either, and hasnt this woman been snubbed enough?? We saw last year with Chamalet vs Rockwell that when supporting performances are the only representation for their movie (and their not win competitive/critics choice like Plummer) they’re likely to get snubbed. We know they’ll watch Little Women, and we have every reason to believe Pugh has the performance (unlike Rockwell), so I’m still fairly sure she gets in. Shuzen vs Bates feels like where #5 lies.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Lopez is gonna win the globe but dern will take the oscar.

I’m thinking this might happen too. The HFPA are starf***ers just like when they awarded Madonna (over Frances McDormand) and Lady Gaga for American Horror Story. Laura Dern should have her Oscar speech ready.

syrus80
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the “surprise” nominee will be Octavia Spencer. My hope is that Woodard gets in for Best Actress but Spencer seems more likely for Supporting Actress.

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Shuzen can get the Oscar nod even if she only has the Critics Choice nod. Although I feel like she might show up at Bafta.

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I am predicting Lopez to take the Globe because it’s literally the most HFPA thing to do.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Dern is winning the Globe. Yall used that exact same starfucking logic during the Gaga vs Close debacle and look what happened

Plus the fact that Hustlers failed to get in Picture and Actress shows that HFPA hardly gave a fuck about it. Meanwhile Marriage Story is leading the noms

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Gaga was already winning for “Shallow,” so there was no “need” for double-dipping. There are many other places to reward “Marriage Story” than Dern. It’s J-Lo’s Globes win to lose, and I agree that this would be an extremely HFPA thing to do to have J-Lo win here when she could have been overlooked.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

And what makes you think there’s any need to reward Hustlers when it was shut out everywhere else ? The delusion, my god. I can’t wait for HFPA to finally do something right and shut her down the same way they shut Gaga last year. Jlo really is the most overrated celebrity ever

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.