Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 489 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
M: The Original
PJ Edwards
teri
  • HawkWD
    Participant
    Topics:

And what makes you think there’s any need to reward Hustlers when it was shut out everywhere else ? The delusion, my god. I can’t wait for HFPA to finally do something right and shut her down the same way they shut Gaga last year. Jlo really is the most overrated celebrity ever

I want to agree with you but JLo is EVERYWHERE lately… This woman is so thirsty for award recognition she’s campaigning so hard. And the media is eating it up.

titi
    Participant
    Topics:

if Jlo beats Laura Dern that will be tragic

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I want to agree with you but JLo is EVERYWHERE lately… This woman is so thirsty for award recognition she’s campaigning so hard. And the media is eating it up.

I actually understand her. With such an awfully critically panned career in music and cinema alike, she’s smart to milk her first acclaimed venture in 20 years

But I believe even HFPA isn’t that stupid, no matter how overhyped she is atm. She’s getting nominated accross the board tho, and that’s more than enough

Laura’s performance is just as overrated as Jlo’s but at least she’s an actual actress, not a fucking joke pretending to be one

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Participant
    Topics:

if Jlo beats Laura Dern that will be tragic

Tragic? For whom? The Dern sheep or overrated mediocrity?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Tragic? For whom? The Dern sheep or overrated mediocrity?

🎻🎻🎻

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Bobbi Jewell
    Participant
    Topics:

I told all of you bitches that my girl Kathy was coming. Pugh plays a wrestler in a passable Disney movie where Dwayne Johnson outacts her and then copies a character that has been portrayed better 20 times over in Little Whites and now you stans are acting like she’s overdue? I have to laugh. Her role that apparently you sycophants labeled as transcendent in Midsommar was more reminiscent of a lower-tier Disney actress trying her hand at recycling Toni Collette’s performance in Hereditary to prove herself as a serious actress, and she was supposed to be the critical favorite for that movie? lmao. Even Ronan who was considered susceptible got into a considerably stronger category and Pugh missed over buzzless Annette Bening, Bates was always coming.

AnotherVice
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, people are truly pressed about a potential JLo win. I don’t get you guys. When your favorite actors lose to a mediocre performance you hate career wins yet sometimes you’re okay with them? Dern might have the better career but Lopez gave the better performance and was more acclaimed. Isn’t this award supposed to be about the better performance?

I can’t at the same people that bitched about Close/Adams potentially winning their career Oscars last year now are hoping for a career win for Dern for that nothing performance.

Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t get the hate about campaigns, isn’t that the whole point about Academy Awards? “This person is SO thirsty for that Oscar”, well why shouldn’t they be?

Let them work for what they are aiming for, the Oscars have not been about the best since idk, never maybe(?). There have been plenty of wins based more on campaign that i don’t like, but at the end who cares, that’s their job.

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don’t like Marriage Story all that much and Laura Dern’s character has a lot to do with it….She is good in Big Little Lies because her character is loud, outspoken, rich and entitle in Marriage Story she is suppose to be a legal professional but she seems to be interpreting the very same character from BLL all of her seem fake, the way she talk, the way she moves her hands, fake, fake, fake.  Dern deserved to win for Wild a truly great performance.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

This also isn’t the first performance that J-LO has given that’s been critically acclaimed. She was Oscar-worthy in both “Selena” and especially “Out of Sight.” Acting like “Hustlers” was the the first role of quasi-worth that she’s had is outright false.

MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don’t like Marriage Story all that much and Laura Dern’s character has a lot to do with it….She is good in Big Little Lies because her character is loud, outspoken, rich and entitle in Marriage Story she is suppose to be a legal professional but she seems to be interpreting the very same character from BLL all of her seem fake, the way she talk, the way she moves her hands, fake, fake, fake. Dern deserved to win for Wild a truly great performance.

Same. Her performance didn’t fit the mood of the film. It was perhaps intentional to have her character appear annoying, but it was just over-the-top and it ruined the flow of the film.
    I don’t think it’s a bad performance, it just wasn’t right for this particular film.

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

Laura’s character translated more as a lawyer who knows how to put on facades to get what she wants out of people. That last meaningful convo she had with ScarJo confirms that in the end, all she cares about is winning.

Lopez is my best supporting actress of this year but Dern is not bad.

Lastly, Annette Bening nom. Fluke or forreal?

I just love movies. And awards.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Let me remind everyone that sole supporting acting winners do not happen. The winner is usually in a Best picture contender or his/her film is nominated in more categories particularly Best Actor
    Or Best Actress.

Jennifer Lopez is not beating Dern even if she wins the Globe or Critics Choice or any other award.

Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

And yet, sometimes that’s exactly what happens: a sole nominee from a film ends up winning the Oscar. It’s happened multiple times in this category. Penélope Cruz immediately comes to mind for “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.”

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

If you mean the sole acting nominee for the film, there’s Regina King just last year.

If you mean the sole nomination for the film, yeah. I hate how that’s a factor. I think since the BP expanded, Jacki Weaver and Helen Hunt are the only peeps who made it, being the only noms for their movies.

I just love movies. And awards.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.