Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 489 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
M: The Original
JackO
babypook
  • Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

If you mean the sole acting nominee for the film, there’s Regina King just last year. If you mean the sole nomination for the film, yeah. I hate how that’s a factor. I think since the BP expanded, Jacki Weaver and Helen Hunt are the only peeps who made it, being the only noms for their movies.

This is a really big problem. So many nominees in recent years only getting in because their pictures are acclaimed and not necessarily because of the performance i.e. Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures), Mark Ruffalo (Spotlight), Cooper (American Hustle) etc. Looks like the same might happen this year and Willem Dafoe will miss out because his film is not near the best picture race.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Umm I actually predicted Close’s win over Gaga last year, and I’m still predicting Lopez to take this one for two reasons – 1. The HFPA knew they had taken care of Gaga by rewarding Shallow, so they could go somewhere else in Lead Actress. 2. They can and probably will reward Marriage Story in Screenplay and/or one of the lead categories.

Exactly. Hasn’t Dern also won 4 Globes already (Afterburn, Enlightened, Recount, BLL) – surely she’s not getting a 5th for what is more or less a cameo and, as many have pointed out, the character is similar to Renata

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

2. They can and probably will reward Marriage Story in Screenplay and/or one of the lead categories.

How is this in any way certain?

Phoenix frontrunner for actor, Zellwegger frontrunner for actress, not gonna win BP, and screenplay is awfully competitive.

It looks to me like Dern is THE place for them to award Marriage Story.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by PJ Edwards.
    Profile picture
    OhJulian
    Topics:

Zhao Shuzhen does not only deserve to be nominated, but also deserves to win. What a wonderful, joyful performance she gave. Much much better and impactful than Dern’s in my opinion (though i’m biased because the movie itself resonated with me on a personal level).

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don’t like Marriage Story all that much and Laura Dern’s character has a lot to do with it….She is good in Big Little Lies because her character is loud, outspoken, rich and entitle in Marriage Story she is suppose to be a legal professional but she seems to be interpreting the very same character from BLL all of her seem fake, the way she talk, the way she moves her hands, fake, fake, fake. Dern deserved to win for Wild a truly great performance.

Don’t you know people who seem fake? Dern played her character perfectly.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Umm I actually predicted Close’s win over Gaga last year, and I’m still predicting Lopez to take this one for two reasons –

1. The HFPA knew they had taken care of Gaga by rewarding Shallow, so they could go somewhere else in Lead Actress.
    2. They can and probably will reward Marriage Story in Screenplay and/or one of the lead categories.

I like you.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

The biggest LOCK of the 4 acting categories is Supporting Actress for Laura Dern. The role is not memorable, but she’s winning it for her career and contribution to Hollywood. Time to accept it and move on.

Profile picture
    Topics:

The biggest LOCK of the 4 acting categories is Supporting Actress for Laura Dern. The role is not memorable, but she’s winning it for her career and contribution to Hollywood. Time to accept it and move on.

The potential for her to lose at a precursor is still there. Which is what everyone is speculating on. And the Oscars could surprise with an upset since her screen time is slight and her character is a bitch.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

The potential for her to lose at a precursor is still there. Which is what everyone is speculating on. And the Oscars could surprise with an upset since her screen time is slight and her character is a bitch.

Agreed. The last two are big reasons why Sigourney Weaver lost for Working Girl.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

https://youtu.be/tbU3zdAgiX8

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    MrGoodWood
    Topics:

Still hoping for Cho Yeo-jeong to do a Marina De Tavira.

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

Then who are you saying would be the upset? And don’t say Jennifer Lopez because there is no freaking way that a stellar actress from Hollywood royalty in a (most-likely) Best Picture and Screenplay and whatever else nominated movie would lose to Jenny from the Block aka Gigli aka Bennifer aka JLo. So, again, who would be the upset?

Just to reiterate, I think Jennifer Lopez will win the Golden Globe, but definitely not the Oscar. And definitely not against a beloved and popular actress like Laura Dern.

Profile picture
    MrGoodWood
    Topics:

^ Pugh can win Bafta. It’s not likely, but she is a bigger threat to Dern there than Lopez is at SAG and the Oscars.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Just to reiterate, I think Jennifer Lopez will win the Golden Globe, but definitely not the Oscar. And definitely not against a beloved and popular actress like Laura Dern.

Didn’t both Glenn and Amy fit that profile as well this year?

Profile picture
    Djoko
    Topics:

Didn’t both Glenn and Amy fit that profile as well this year?

Both Olivia and Regina were loved actresses as well, especially Regina so I wouldn’t say it fit at all. Laura Dern is this year’s Regina King. Plus in terms of Actress, you’re talking about The Favourite, nominated for a ton of Oscars, against The Wife, nominated for one.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.