Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 489 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
M: The Original
PJ Edwards
teri
  • Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

From what I’ve seen so far (still need to watch Bombshell, Richard Jewell and Little Women), I would give the Oscar to Scarlet for Jojo. She plays a sympathetic mom character and hero and has just the right amount of screen time. I could see voters going for her… IF she can secure the nomination.

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Janney was amazing in her role. She deserved the sweep. King on the other hand shouldn’t have been nominated…that I totally agree with. She didn’t sweep though. SAG and BAFTA knew she did nothing to warrant a nomination let alone win

I support King’s win, but I’ll acknowledge that she benefited from a week year. Stone and Weisz were both way better than the other nominees, but there was no way they were gonna overcome vote splitting. Since neither one of them should’ve been in supporting and they’ve already won before, King beating them doesn’t bother me at all.

I really don’t care for Janney’s victory. She was clearly supposed to be like JK Simmons in Whiplash, but unlike Simmons, she came across as a total cartoon character who had no depth and never actually felt intimidating. Laurie Metcalf’s work in Lady Bird felt vastly superior when it came to both drama and comedy.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Laura Dern will go down as one of the worst wins in this category in a very long time.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Did not expect out of Zellwegger/Theron/Scarjo, Driver, and Pitt, that it would be Dern sweeping all the way to the Dolby. This category is DONE! Thats what happens when JLO was a thing that people tried to make happen lol

Profile picture
    Topics:

I support King’s win, but I’ll acknowledge that she benefited from a week year. Stone and Weisz were both way better than the other nominees, but there was no way they were gonna overcome vote splitting. Since neither one of them should’ve been in supporting and they’ve already won before, King beating them doesn’t bother me at all.

I really don’t care for Janney’s victory. She was clearly supposed to be like JK Simmons in Whiplash, but unlike Simmons, she came across as a total cartoon character who had no depth and never actually felt intimidating. Laurie Metcalf’s work in Lady Bird felt vastly superior when it came to both drama and comedy.

King had two main alternatives: an overdue Amy Adams and Rachel Weisz who I’d argue gave the best “supporting” performance of the slate.

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

King had two main alternatives: an overdue Amy Adams and Rachel Weisz who I’d argue gave the best “supporting” performance of the slate.

As I said before, Weisz was likely undone by vote splitting, and the fact that Stone and her had already won, so it’s not like there was a huge rush to reward them. Meanwhile, Adams was hurt by the fact that she just didn’t have winning material. She was good, but there was very little passion for her performance. It didn’t help Adams that her strongest scene was at the very beginning, which means her best material isn’t even likely to be fresh in people’s minds after they finish the film. It really was a shame how her role turned out. I remember hearing rumors early on that she was a co-lead, and one person even said she had a straight up musical number (turns out there was a deleted musical scene, but it was lead by some nameless background character with Adams being completely absent from the sequence). In hindsight, Lynne Cheney doesn’t really sound like a very showy role. I think we were all just hyped up cause Amy Adams was playing her.

Profile picture
    Topics:

As I said before, Weisz was likely undone by vote splitting, and the fact that Stone and her had already won, so it’s not like there was a huge rush to reward them. Meanwhile, Adams was hurt by the fact that she just didn’t have winning material. She was good, but there was very little passion for her performance. It didn’t help Adams that her strongest scene was at the very beginning, which means her best material isn’t even likely to be fresh in people’s minds after they finish the film. It really was a shame how her role turned out. I remember hearing rumors early on that she was a co-lead, and one person even said she had a straight up musical number (turns out there was a deleted musical scene, but it was lead by some nameless background character with Adams being completely absent from the sequence). In hindsight, Lynne Cheney doesn’t really sound like a very showy role. I think we were all just hyped up cause Amy Adams was playing her.

It irks me that people would vote for Stone at the expense of Weisz. Considering that Stone is the youngest nominee of that slate. The genuine movie star of that slate. And will have several opportunities for a 2nd best actress win. Voters are lame. This was a return nod for Rachel after a significant time since her first win. And she’s the most exciting and compelling of the trio to me. Her movie and the slate of potential winners.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Did not expect out of Zellwegger/Theron/Scarjo, Driver, and Pitt, that it would be Dern sweeping all the way to the Dolby. This category is DONE! Thats what happens when JLO was a thing that people tried to make happen lol

Or is she this years Laurie Metcalf and someone else starts taking the televised awards. Dern has 3 globes already, they might want to reward someone else. Just a thought.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Lol all the more reasons for why she wins here. Y’all need to stop comparing everyone to Laurie Metcalf when she had an obvious, SHOWY competitor who had just as much respect that she had. Dern has no competition.

Profile picture
    Monsoon
    Topics:

Right now I have a strong feeling that both JLo and Margot Robbie could be snubbed at the Oscars. The Globes will confirm this, but both are underperforming at the critic awards and other contenders like Kathy Bates and ScarJo are looking stronger. I also think if this happens thag Laura Dern is pretty much in the clear for a win if this happens. Only Pugh can really compete against her.

Critic’s awards don’t mean sh*t at the Oscars.

SAG is also more indicative than the Globes.

J.Lo & Margot will be fine.

“you look like your picture, thank god.”

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

JLo and Margot are not locked for GG or SAG anymore, although they certainly have shots at making it in. Critics awards aren’t causal to industry awards, but a lot of critics circles are generally indicative of who has the most buzz at that time and will end up incidentally overlapping with 3-4 of the final spots at Oscars. Critics circles don’t take either of them out of contention, but also don’t forget that y’all were trying to paint JLo as a possible critical passion pick not too long ago and now that narrative is gone.

Lol. The Globes are starfuckers, even if J-Lo is snubbed everywhere else, she gets in at the Globes.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Lol all the more reasons for why she wins here. Y’all need to stop comparing everyone to Laurie Metcalf when she had an obvious, SHOWY competitor who had just as much respect that she had. Dern has no competition.

Yes, but Metcalf won 31 critics prizes to Janney’s 15. Everyone talks about actors sweeping the critics prizes, she won double the awards. She won 3 of the biggest critics prizes (National Board of Review, Los Angeles, National Society of Film Critics). So yes, until the televised awards start, it is a fair comparison.

Just like everyone is talking about Lupita now, if she were suddenly snubbed (which could happen) people would be shocked because she was the “critics” favorite.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

With all the Dern bashing, aren’t most, if not all winner of the category this decade disliked anyway? If not for the performance itself, but for supposed fraud so it’s not like some people can be pleased…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.