Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 489 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
M: The Original
PJ Edwards
teri
  • Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

With all the Dern bashing, aren’t most, if not all winner of the category this decade disliked anyway? If not for the performance itself, but for supposed fraud so it’s not like some people can be pleased…

Minus Hathaway, yes

that’s why I don’t even care about the Dern bashing at this point since most of the 2010’s winners get criticized here anyway

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Let me just say that I’m already becoming really tired of people posting over and over that Dern did nothing as if it’s a subversive or unpopular opinion. I don’t disagree at all, but I have not seen a single person on GoldDerby say otherwise. Don’t act like you’re the only one who sees it, none of us are less adept viewers than you are and I can’t help feeling that there’s a tone of self-righteousness and vindication flavoring all of these posts.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I love all these small critics awards, but they are no bellwether for what the industry likes. I do believe that Dern is sweeping, but her critics wins don’t automatically mean she’s winning those industry awards. If Lopez pulls off a surprising win at the Globes, we’ve got a race. But I don’t think that is happening, so yeah…

I am going to watch MS now and am curious to see how i respond to Dern’s performance, but she’s just one of those actresses where I’m fine seeing her win anything. She’ll probably lose all awards for BLL S2, for which she’s deserving, so I’ll take this.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Let me just say that I’m already becoming really tired of people posting over and over that Dern did nothing as if it’s a subversive or unpopular opinion. I don’t disagree at all, but I have not seen a single person on GoldDerby say otherwise. Don’t act like you’re the only one who sees it, none of us are less adept viewers than you are and I can’t help feeling that there’s a tone of self-righteousness and vindication flavoring all of these posts.

^

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay let me be straightforward and honest. I have watched MS, and I felt Dern was pretty … underwhelming. It’s like watching a Renata 2.0, but much less sassy, much less exciting and so, much less good. The real MVPs of the movie were Driver and Johansson (who turned out to be much much much better than I expected!), while Dern added not much to the story, and dare I say, virtually nothing! She’s still better than Regina King last year though. That being said, she will still win regardless, given how extremely weak the contenders this year are (not the weak performances, but the weak nature of the contenders). But I wouldn’t highly value her win!

Johansson is the one I seriously loved in the movie, and I indeed want her to win this year! But best actress is becoming more stacked and less predictable at this point, so I’m not so sure… With that she also has Jojo Rabbit this year, if she can’t win lead, I hope she can Jessica Lange – Tootsie her way into a win in this category!

zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprisingly, LA Critics chose Lopez.

Out of the 3 contenders I saw (her + Shuzhen and Dern) she gets my vote too.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Feels good venting, doesn’t it….

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s happening

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s still better than Regina King last year though

Except that with King, she was only way of rewarding Beale Street whereas Dern’s win would be possibly one of 2-5 wins for Marriage Story.

And King also had the advantage of her competition being extremely underwhelming (Foy, Kidman, Robbie), fantastic performances but too genre/small for the Academy (Blunt, McKenzie & Yeoh).

And her parents eventual competition from her follow nominees were coattails where never going anywhere (Adams & de Tarvirna). While Stone & Weisz gave better performances but they both already had Oscars and spilt the vote from being in the same picture.

This year there has already much better performances from Lopez & Shuzen.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Feels good venting, doesn’t it….

Well yeah, my GD posts are about to become a mess over these next few weeks. Just felt it needed to be said after the torrent of incredibly similar comments over and over on this thread as if it needed to be said again.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of the 3 contenders I saw (her + Shuzhen and Dern) she gets my vote too.

Shuzhen>Lopez>Dern

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  TVFan365.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  TVFan365.
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoah New Mexico critics went with Cho Yeo-Jeong (the one who played the rich mom/wfie) in Parasite for Best Supporting Actress. That’s a pretty cool surprise. I thought she was fantastic.

Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Lopez > Shuzhen > Dern

I’d nominate all three at this stage though.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s happening

Daytripper78
    Participant
    Topics:

Washington DC critics go with Jlo.

2019 WAFCA AWARD WINNER:

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lopez (Hustlers)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.