Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2020 (Part 5)

Best Supporting Actress 2020 (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 501 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
CateNicole
thatnerdgreg
Victor Cruz
  • thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

Pugh’s not making it in. With how little support it’s getting there no way Little Women is making it into most categories. Everyone’s talking about how the Christmas box office could save it but it’s Uncut Gems that’s massively over performing at the box office and stealing all of the spotlight. With more passionate reviews and a ton of critic awards that film seems like it’s in a much better position to pull a Phantom Thread this year than Little Women is. I’m predicting the latter for Adapted Screenplay, Production Design, and Score only.

I think you’re wrong. Little Women is on its way to gross more than 100 millions while Uncut Gems will barely reach 40 millions due to its mixed audience reception.

I’m attempted to predict Uncut Gems in Best Picture but I don’t see ii nominated in any other categories.
    For Little Women I predict Picture, Supporting Actress, Costume Design, Adapted, Score. I won’t be surprised if Gerwig gets into Director.
    And I’m also praying for a nomination in Cinematography. What a stunning work !

estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem with that is that Dern is the one with the showy role here, not JLo. lol Good luck Sunday!

You’re joking right?! Dern with the most showy role?! Did you watch the movie? JLo and Margot definitely have showier roles than her.

AnotherVice
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll be shocked if Jennifer Lopez actually pulls a win on Sunday. HFPA obviously hated her film. Constance Wu and Hustlers not getting in the insanely weak comedy actress and comedy/musical categories is very telling.

Why is everything black and white with you guys? Hustlers was always a Supporting Actress play. Most pundits had Hustlers at sixth place for the Comedy nod and Wu got snubbed for legend Blanchett. Still, Wu was always 4th/5th. They basically snubbed all female centric films such as Booksmart and Little Women. It doesn’t mean they hated Hustlers, and if they did, they liked JLo enough to nominate her. I don’t think her film matters here when she’s getting glowing reviews herself, her movie is a BO success and she’s been campaigning hard.

AnotherVice
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem with that is that Dern is the one with the showy role here, not JLo. lol Good luck Sunday!

He’s right. No one in this category has a showier role than Dern sitting quietly on a couch listening to Scarlett Johansson rant for ten minutes. Dern truly transformed herself here!

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

J.Lo’s win would be more inspired than another TV veteran winning an Oscar in the Supporting category and the Academy members rarely go for the inspiring nominee, which is why I’m expecting Dern to sweep for a very basic performance.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you’re wrong. Little Women is on its way to gross more than 100 millions while Uncut Gems will barely reach 40 millions due to its mixed audience reception. I’m attempted to predict Uncut Gems in Best Picture but I don’t see ii nominated in any other categories. For Little Women I predict Picture, Supporting Actress, Costume Design, Adapted, Score. I won’t be surprised if Gerwig gets into Director. And I’m also praying for a nomination in Cinematography. What a stunning work !

I didn’t say Uncut Gems was doing better than Little Women. I said it was over performing. Uncut Gems will be the highest-grossing A24 film domestically, which no one expected. Little Women getting $100 Million was the bare minimum if what people expected. That film needed to over perform dramatically to overcome zero precursor support.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, how is reading lines and playing a cheap Renata showy? That’s what you call showy nowadays, dear citizens? You need some Thatcherian education. Thatcher is exhausted and disgusted.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

showy just got a new meaning. Showy now means reading lines in an annoying manner to prove to the World that God didn’t show up at the birth of Jesus.

JLo haters are something else. In an honest World, Dern wouldn’t even be in the conversation, let alone be nominated and win.

What’s more showy than Ramona’s first pole dance? JLo defies age once again. This woman makes 50 look like 25

Joker Deserves Everything.

Joaquin Phoenix is the Man

Cynthia Erivo should win best actress

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Can anyone give me one scene where Jennifer Lopez really delivers in Hustlers?

all her scenes

Got it?

Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll be shocked if Jennifer Lopez actually pulls a win on Sunday. HFPA obviously hated her film. Constance Wu and Hustlers not getting in the insanely weak comedy actress and comedy/musical categories is very telling.

Yet despite a supposed hatred of “Hustlers,” J-Lo still managed a Globes nomination and hasn’t missed anywhere yet. HFPA could have always snubbed her as well if they really hated “Hustlers.” Take your useless trolling elsewhere.

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

Yet despite a supposed hatred of “Hustlers,” J-Lo still managed a Globes nomination and hasn’t missed anywhere yet. HFPA could have always snubbed her as well if they really hated “Hustlers.” Take your useless trolling elsewhere.

I actually agree with him on this. She’s a lone nominee but her film should have been in other categories. Support/goodwill for JLO obviously exists but the HFPA will likely reward something they like up and down. History shows us The Globes are even less prone to spread the wealth than the Oscars.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Nikhil Nandu.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Nikhil Nandu.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Can anyone give me one scene where Jennifer Lopez really delivers in Hustlers?

The stripping scene/‘Doesn’t money make you horny?’
    The rooftop scene/‘Climb in my fur’
    The diner scene with Constance Wu
    The Christmas scenes with Destiny’s grandmother
    The physical altercation where Ramona calls Destiny an ungrateful little bitch
    The ‘Royals’ sequence
    When Ramona finds out Destiny took a plea/‘Motherhood is a mental illness’
    The Old Navy scene with Julia Stiles

She was a luminous goddess from start to finish. Completely owned this role and film.

JLo

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  OLTLfan.
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t say Uncut Gems was doing better than Little Women. I said it was over performing. Uncut Gems will be the highest-grossing A24 film domestically, which no one expected. Little Women getting $100 Million was the bare minimum if what people expected. That film needed to over-perform dramatically to overcome zero precursor support.

little women potentially crossing 100M was something people speculated could happen (and hoped for), not what people expected, it did almost double of sony’s anticipated five-day opening, that’s overperforming, uncut gems also doubled its predicted opening but it’s not showing nearly as much staying power

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Lopez doesn’t really have an Oscar clip. Maybe the last scene?

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

She doesn’t have hype but Annette Benning is superb in The Report. Adam Driver is better there too

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress 2020 (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.