Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2020 (Part 5)

Best Supporting Actress 2020 (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 500 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
CateNicole
Human Bartender
Victor Cruz
  • Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

you get her again over Good performances? Robbie should have won an Oscar already for I, Tonya

Nope, because Frances McDormand had the best performance that year. Robbie was good in I, Tonya but Frances deserved the Oscar more than anyone.

Profile picture
    AnotherVice
    Topics:

More bad news for JLo. The person she portrayed in Hustlers is suing her for 40M. lol

Give it up Deelishis, you look like a man.

Profile picture
    mrngdew77
    Topics:

The notion of Lopez getting any nomination for not sucking as much as usual is laughable. Remember Enough or Gigli? Maid in Manhattan? It’s not a steep climb to improvement but hardly awards worthy.

She has a good awards campaign team, pr and publicists who are making sure she is anywhere and everywhere for exposure. The campaign seems to have been going since mid summer. Hey it got her the GG and SAG noms so it’s working. I just don’t see her getting the Oscar nod she so desperately wants.

Maybe some of you insiders can give an estimate as to what a awards season campaign costs, who pays for it, how many people are involved etc… it’s just curiosity more than anything. I know spending the $$ means that people like J Lo can be in the discussion.

Profile picture
    AnotherVice
    Topics:

The notion of Lopez getting any nomination for not sucking as much as usual is laughable. Remember Enough or Gigli? Maid in Manhattan? It’s not a steep climb to improvement but hardly awards worthy. She has a good awards campaign team, pr and publicists who are making sure she is anywhere and everywhere for exposure. The campaign seems to have been going since mid summer. Hey it got her the GG and SAG noms so it’s working. I just don’t see her getting the Oscar nod she so desperately wants. Maybe some of you insiders can give an estimate as to what a awards season campaign costs, who pays for it, how many people are involved etc… it’s just curiosity more than anything. I know spending the $$ means that people like J Lo can be in the discussion.

That’s just your opinion though. The reality is, she has gotten ten critics awards, including one of the TRIFECTA. She’s made it into almost every list of best performances of the year. The critics owe Lopez NOTHING because she’s never been a favorite of theirs. The reality is, she gave an awards-worthy performance, which any capable actress is able to do with the right material, the right direction and the right part, despite their past film history.

Yes, the campaign behind Jennifer has been monumental, but if you were her studio, wouldn’t you do it too? Not only she’s Latina, she’s a successful global brand who’s never taken quite seriously despite being one of the hardest working entertainers in any industry. You would know that despite having an acclaimed performance with potential for gold, you have to work extra hours to steer the narrative away from your global super-stardom or even your past films. White actresses like Renee Zellweger, despite being gone from Hollywood and coming back to terrible movies until she landed Judy, is also campaigning almost as hard as Jennifer because she knows she needs it. Why do we have to put down Lopez for doing the same thing?

Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

This category is a mess, and the Bafta noms show it even more. I like Robbie as an actress but that she gets 2 noms for good (but not oscar worthy) performances is mind blowing. This shows that voters are more lazy than usual.

Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

Nope, because Frances McDormand had the best performance that year. Robbie was good in I, Tonya but Frances deserved the Oscar more than anyone.

null

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

The lengths people go to keep complaining about JLo being here, as if she were the first questionable actor with a long list of shitty films to suddenly do good and find him/herself in the middle of an Oscar campaign.

And the money being spent on this? What about the money Taron Egerton is so desperately spending since before JLo? The only difference is that he’s not a real singer/performer so he can’t be in more places, even though he kinda has. Fuck, he even had a real concert for his campaign. He would’ve released a perfectly timed new album, performing at the VMAs, AMAs, Billboard Awards, Grammys, be JLo’s left shark at the Superbowl, who knows. That’s a desperate campaign.

It’s all the same for everybody who can pay for it. And plenty of people can, have, are and will be paying for this just like JLo is doing.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The notion of Lopez getting any nomination for not sucking as much as usual is laughable. Remember Enough or Gigli? Maid in Manhattan? It’s not a steep climb to improvement but hardly awards worthy.

She has a good awards campaign team, pr and publicists who are making sure she is anywhere and everywhere for exposure. The campaign seems to have been going since mid summer. Hey it got her the GG and SAG noms so it’s working. I just don’t see her getting the Oscar nod she so desperately wants.

Maybe some of you insiders can give an estimate as to what a awards season campaign costs, who pays for it, how many people are involved etc… it’s just curiosity more than anything. I know spending the $$ means that people like J Lo can be in the discussion.

Lopez’s past career choices are not what she’s being considered for an Oscar now. It’s irrelevant and childish to constantly use her past against her as if she can never aspire to greater heights, which she has in “Hustlers” whether you like it or not. I’ll go in the past too and use past critical successes like “Out of Sight” and “Selena” to show that Lopez has reached those high levels of achievement before with the right material.

Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

J-Lo would actually be a fun nominee and more deserving than many of the possible candidates. My only main issue is that she is a co-lead and category fraud. But the performance itself is worthy of a nom.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Beastialg.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Beastialg.
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

Y’all are coming for J. Lo when Mary J. Blinking Blige is an Oscar nominee is baffling…

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

People are coming for J.Lo for campaigning now?

I mean if you are gonna do that try going after Laura Dern, she is even thirstier and desperate than her mother was for Joy. Has there even been any event she didn’t attend? At least J.Lo took breaks while she was filming her next movie and while rehearsing for the Super Bowl.

Profile picture
    AWDubay
    Topics:

Two Asians? Has that ever happened before?

I dont think so … I just feel like those two movies are going to over preform and this is such a weak catagory that i feel like peopl are gonna sneak in .. and i think Pugh and Scarjo will be the ones that get bumped

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

Profile picture
    AWDubay
    Topics:

Two Asians? Has that ever happened before?

never happened … very few asian nominees overall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asian_Academy_Award_winners_and_nominees

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Y’all are coming for J. Lo when Mary J. Blinking Blige is an Oscar nominee is baffling…

No one was declaring that Mary J Blige was sweeping.

Profile picture
    Filmatelist
    Topics:

Is Scarlett Johansson really getting 2 nominations??

Unfortunately, it looks that way.

I have absolutely no problem with her getting a nod for MARRIAGE STORY. But her contribution to JOJO is negligible and I think she’s being considered because (a) she’s super famous, and (b) her character is compassionate and highly moral who suffers a bittersweet, tragic ending.

Sometimes, the Academy votes for the *character* because of their nobility and warmth rather than how well they are portrayed. A good example was Jon Voight in ALI, which was touching because Cosell the man was touching in his relationship with ALI (which is an important part of the film) but which really could have been done by anyone.

Anyone could have done what Scarlett did in JOJO and the part is so flimsy, it really doesn’t have a lot of nuance that SJ might have brought to the part in terms of her own personality. It’s just a well-liked character in a well-liked film who happens to be played by a well-liked actress. There are so many better supporting performances from last year, but very few with the same kind of high-profile that hers has. It’s lazy but at this point, looks sadly inevitable.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress 2020 (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.