Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 457 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Stegeo
Babygirl
  • Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see this going one of two ways for this category during award season. Either its gonna a complete sweep for one person or A different person wins each show leaving who wins the oscar a mystery.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure Laura Dern’s gonna win. Marriage Story currently looks like a strong player, she’s received great notices so far, she’s a highly respected actress, and she’s recently been involved in several big and well received projects these past few years. I could see Margot Robbie taking it for Bombshell, but right now, my money’s on Dern.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how Jlo gets the first acclaimed project of her career in 20 years and some of yall suddenly act like she’s an obvious frontrunner, as if she ever was a respected actress to begin with. Her filmography is a pool of yellow and red and she hasn’t been acknowledged by any major award show in 20 years (she’s a nice Razzie staple though) but yeah, she’s totally a threat to Laura Dern

The overhyping whenever a popstar pulls a decent to good performance is hilarious. I can’t wait for this whole twitter campaign to crash

Well said. Jlo is such a bad actress that when she delivers something good people are in shock because they never expect it from her. I don’t see the big awards(SAG, BAFTA, OSCAR) considering JLO. If she somehow makes it, She’ll be 5th at best. This is a Laura Dern vs Margo Robbie race.

JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Lopez is fucking in!

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Well said. Jlo is such a bad actress that when she delivers something good people are in shock because they never expect it from her. I don’t see the big awards(SAG, BAFTA, OSCAR) considering JLO. If she somehow makes it, She’ll be 5th at best. This is a Laura Dern vs Margo Robbie race.

An absolute joke. Razzie queen is never happening beyond HFPA

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Seven.
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Lopez isn’t winning but she is happening, it’s time for everyone to wake up. Sure she is a razzie queen and so what? Melissa McCarthy isn’t? Or Sandra Bullock? And I disagree about JLo not being taken seriously as an actress. If Gaga was embraced for her first movie, I don’t understand why a women who has been acting for decades wouldn’t. She has also recently starred in a multiple seasons show. Sure practically no one has seen it, but acting isn’t just a little side job for her. So I totally see the industry embracing her if she delivers and it seems to be the case here. Also this category is kinda wide open, there is room for JLo to sneak in.

As for the fact that she is not in a BP contender, sure. But let’s not act Hustlers is getting average reviews, it’s in the 80s which is better than some presumed contenders such as Joker.

jez89
    Participant
    Topics:

Really hope if they’re going to go down the overdue path they go with Annette Bening over Laura Dern. Of course it should be about the performance but if we’re talking about people who are overdue among female actors, Bening comes to find far more readily than Dern.

Edgar Pereira
    Participant
    Topics:

I came here just to say that I’ve read HUSTLERS reviews and I feel obligated to predict Jennifer Lopez for Best Supporting Actress…!
    “Academy Award nominee JLo” – I would never believe it 3 days ago

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m also predicting a Margot Robbie win but we’ll have to wait for the reception to Bombshell.

Right now I have:

1. Margot Robbie, Bombshell
    2. Laura Dern, Marriage Story
    3. Florence Pugh, Little Women

I’m really unsure about the last two spots. In my predictions I have:

4. Meryl Streep, The Laundromat (but only because I got her at 100/1)
    5. Anna Paquin, The Irishman (because she’s supposed to have a baity role and she has an interesting narrative)

Solid picks. I should know to never count out Meryl but I don’t know if I see it happening. I think Smith might be more likely, especially given the box office that Downton Abbey is bound to have.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Lopez isn’t winning but she is happening, it’s time for everyone to wake up. Sure she is a razzie queen and so what? Melissa McCarthy isn’t? Or Sandra Bullock? And I disagree about JLo not being taken seriously as an actress. If Gaga was embraced for her first movie, I don’t understand why a women who has been acting for decades wouldn’t. She has also recently starred in a multiple seasons show. Sure practically no one has seen it, but acting isn’t just a little side job for her. So I totally see the industry embracing her if she delivers and it seems to be the case here. Also this category is kinda wide open, there is room for JLo to sneak in. As for the fact that she is not in a BP contender, sure. But let’s not act Hustlers is getting average reviews, it’s in the 80s which is better than some presumed contenders such as Joker.

JLo acting for decades hurts her more than it helps her. Most of her performances have been portly received, some panned. While the Oscars should be based on the performance nominated, the fact that many people have won at least partially based on their prior work probably means that it can work the other way around and hurt the chances of people with less than respectable filmographies. I recall people saying that may have been a reason why Jennifer Anniston wasn’t nominated for Cake despite receiving good reviews and getting in at precursors.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh Feinberg is on the JLo bandwagon now. I guess GD has no choice but to add her now.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

These pundits are disgusting. They’d rather see JLO win an Oscar and not Anette Bening or Laura Dern. They’re celebrity-obsessed.

JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Lopez isn’t winning but she is happening, it’s time for everyone to wake up. Sure she is a razzie queen and so what? Melissa McCarthy isn’t? Or Sandra Bullock? And I disagree about JLo not being taken seriously as an actress. If Gaga was embraced for her first movie, I don’t understand why a women who has been acting for decades wouldn’t. She has also recently starred in a multiple seasons show. Sure practically no one has seen it, but acting isn’t just a little side job for her. So I totally see the industry embracing her if she delivers and it seems to be the case here. Also this category is kinda wide open, there is room for JLo to sneak in.

As for the fact that she is not in a BP contender, sure. But let’s not act Hustlers is getting average reviews, it’s in the 80s which is better than some presumed contenders such as Joker.

preach sis! I can’t stand these know it all gold derby people. If the performance is there it’s there! The woman has worked hard her entire career and there is no doubt that she is talented. She gave a great Performance in Selena, The Cell, Enough and my favorite El Cantante!

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s an overrated, glorified supermodel with two good performances at best. But it’s fine, the fake hype won’t go anywhere

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

J Lo and Gaga are NOT comparable.

Gaga had: a Globe win for AHS, more talent, more buzz, more respect within industry, and the best picture frontrunner (until the Globes) that was nominated across the board.

J Lo has: a 20 year old Globe nom, a bit of hype, a bit of talent.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.