Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 450 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Human Bartender
Babygirl
M: The Original
  • Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

Doesn’t matter who gets nominated, Annette SHOULD win this time around. It is enough that she lost twice to an average flash-in-the-pan actor. I’d be happy with a Robbie or JLo win (no matter how far-fetched it seems) but not at the expense of Bening.

Dern is winning.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Y’all…I’m not going to predict her until it seems right, but why are we so quick to assume J-Lo is undeserving? surprising things happen all the time, and if professionals who are paid to analyze and critique movies** think she gave an Oscar-worthy performance, perhaps we shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. I’m not a stan at all just trying to be objective here.

**not to say critics have infallible opinions and I always agree with them, but rather just pointing out there is some credibility behind these raves.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Y’all…I’m not going to predict her until it seems right, but why are we so quick to assume J-Lo is undeserving? surprising things happen all the time, and if professionals who are paid to analyze and critique movies** think she gave an Oscar-worthy performance, perhaps we shouldn’t dismiss it so quickly. I’m not a stan at all just trying to be objective here.

**not to say critics have infallible opinions and I always agree with them, but rather just pointing out there is some credibility behind these raves.

The only reason I’m a little less than confident predicting her are the very attitudes showcased in this forum. They mirror the attitudes of a lot of people, Oscar voters included.

At best she’s considered a trashy rom com bimbo, and at worst a pop diva who just can’t be taken seriously on screen because. A big part of this is based on subtle racism toward her ethnicity and background.

She has a whole lot of prejudice to overcome to reach a nomination. What works in her favour is that the movie has been received so well, and I for one am predicting her at the moment. It’s just that no matter how good she is, a lot of people won’t give her a fair shot.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Haters are gonna hate. J.Lo has always been a great actress. Especially when given the right material. “Selena” & “Out of Sight” were nomination worthy performances. Her track record for picking scripts hasn’t always been the best. But that doesn’t take away from her talent. Now I’m rooting for her to get the Oscar nod. Just to make the doubters feel stupid.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Lopez will probably get a Globe nom. She’s not getting BAFTA or SAG. Which will most likely mean she won’t get the Oscar nod

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Killing Eve in all categories, HBC, Cicely Tyson, The Crown in directing

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing and directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

FYC OSCARS- Amy Adams

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Would we give Barbara Streisand, Childish Gambino, or Jamie Foxx the same attributes? They all record music, act, and tour.

Girl I KNOW you ain’t using Gambino… an Emmy and Grammy winner and an actually good actor as an example for JLo, a Razzie winner and someone who’s filmography is FILLED with yellow and red reviews.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

JLo’s situation kinda reminds me of Matthew McConaughey’s for MAGIC MIKE. Raved performance that got Oscar buzz but never materialized due to “prejudice” around the actor’s less serious reputation. Let’s see if it has a happy ending for her. For all the matter, it should be all about the performance

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

Sorry someone having made a music video about booty should be stripped away their acting credibility

Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

Hate her or not, One thing is for sure. JLo made the best supporting actress race interesting.

Profile picture
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 450 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.