Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 457 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Stegeo
Babygirl
  • Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

J Lo is getting a nomination, and that will be her reward. She won’t win, but being nominated will still be a big step up for her. Good for her.

I agree. Her performance in “Hustlers” is totally worthy of a nomination.

It’s still too early to call a winner. However, best believe Ms. Lopez will campaign her ass off!

She’s got the buzz, narrative, great reviews, and impressive box office numbers.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the best Supporting Actress wins in history! Those people have no taste.

A lot of Kate Hudson fans also mocked Marcia Gay Harden because Kate was the favorite while Marcia was a non-factor back then. And look how it has turned out! Marcia scored another nom while Kate basically disappeared (though Marcia accepted Fifty shades trilogy, which should nearly disqualify her from her caliber). So don’t judge a book by its cover! (I’m talking about JLo whom I have always despised)

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Marcia accepted Fifty Shades. So? She did it for the pay check. Once u win dildo, cash is what matters after that, wherever there’s cash u go.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

At this moment, the only absolute locks are Dern and Bening. Robbie (Once upon…) and (I hate to say this) Lopez are 50% locks. Everyone else is mixed.

Dern is a lock. There’s currently very little talk about Bening’s performance. I don’t think she’s getting nominated.

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Dern is a lock. There’s currently very little talk about Bening’s performance. I don’t think she’s getting nominated.

She is a lock, trust me. She has been award seasons’ darling most of the time, excluding the two extremely competitive best actress races in 2017 and 2018. And her performance receives good review. Also her husband is Warren Beatty. She can be the Amy Adams of last year, who was never winning anyway but just there to make the category look nice. Or she can surprise all of us and pull an Allison Janney if she does much more hidden lobby that we will never know.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Bening is not a lock for that flop. But she could get in if she generates some talk and wins a couple of critics prizes, mainly because the category couldn’t be more empty.
    Laura Dern is sweeping, she’ll be Marriage Story’s only Oscar win like Patricia Arquette (Boyhood), Olivia Colman (The Favourite), Nicole Kidman (The Hours).

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

She is a lock, trust me. She has been award seasons’ darling most of the time, excluding the two extremely competitive best actress races in 2017 and 2018. And her performance receives good review. Also her husband is Warren Beatty. She can be the Amy Adams of last year, who was never winning anyway but just there to make the category look nice. Or she can surprise all of us and pull an Allison Janney if she does much more hidden lobby that we will never know.

She could get nominated, but there’s several women who are either in bigger films, have performances that are getting much more attention, or a combination of both. Bening is not a lock.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

LOL She is far from a lock. I have no idea why she is so high on everyone’s predictions when her film isnt happening.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Just watched Hustlers and it hasn’t provided much further clarity on JLo’s Oscar chances. She would definitely be deserving (though I’d say she’s arguably a co-lead), but the film and marketing have been unashamedly commercial, making no pretense of ‘elevated’ status outside of positive reviews. JLo could campaign her ass off and still go unnoticed by certain Academy members who, aside from being snooty about her, may not even be aware of the acclaim surrounding her performance; see Matthew McConaughey in Magic Mike, which was even directed by Soderbergh but still couldn’t get McConaughey a nom despite winning New York and National Society of Film Critics awards. I could easily see Lopez winning at least one of those two prizes, and where she may have an advantage over McConaughey is that she appears to be competing in a weaker field, and the male-dominant Academy may prefer to see a movie about female strippers than male ones (the theater I was in had a number of lone old men lol). If a number of on-paper contenders don’t end up happening, she could get in by default if nothing else.

HawkWD
    Participant
    Topics:

At this point, I think JLo’s nomination chances are kind of contingent on how well LW/Bombshell are received. If both of them get raves it’s going to be tough for her to get past Robbie/Kidman/Pugh/Streep. But if one or both of those films get panned or mediocre reviews I think JLo will easily get nominated.

FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

There are a number of reasons I hope Lopez does not show up here, but those aside: I am utterly baffled at her placement in supporting.

thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that people used to mock Marisa Tomei’s win for My Cousin Vinny, then she went on to grab 2 more Oscars nominations. Lol!

And Tomei should be nominated for Frankie this year, she’s brilliant in it and overshadows every other actors (even Isabelle Huppert !)

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

So where are these reports about Bombshell‘s screening coming from???? I see nothing online.

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

So where are these reports about Bombshell‘s screening coming from???? I see nothing online.

Yeah, same

Scorsesefan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this race is between JLo and Laura Dern.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.