Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 471 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +30 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Stegeo
Babygirl
  • TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Is J. Lo really as great as the critics say or are they just looking for contenders to talk about right now? Honest question.

Both JLo and Shuzhen Zhou, whose movies have been released, are in top 4 critics’ choice right now so I guess critics is judging their movies’ strength AND their performances

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t really think so. Out of all those nominees that year, she gave only performance people still talk about. I’d say her win has been vindicated by time.

Judy Davis in Husbands and Wives is the outlier to this take.

Participant
    Topics:

Tomei is one of those wins where people bandwagon on hating her but can’t name another performance in that category

People don’t actually hate the performance when they see it. They hate that she won when it was perceived she was a fifth place slot filler. Her vehicle wasn’t prestige bait, so her nomination was initially seen as the win. For her to actually take it was a stunning upset.

Participant
    Topics:

I agree. That is one of those movies that if it comes on TV I’ll always watch the end of it because Tomei’s scenes on the witness stand are just so great to watch.

People complain that comedy never wins but then when it does, well people complain that it was undeserving.

Comedy Oscar wins rarely justify themselves when the rival nominees in the category are dramatic. And we’re conditioned to value and take seriously someone making us sad or upset over someone making us grin, smile, and laugh.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Both JLo and Shuzhen Zhou, whose movies have been released, are in top 4 critics’ choice right now so I guess critics is judging their movies’ strength AND their performances

But for those of us who actually saw the movie, is J. Lo’s performance worth the hype?

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

But for those of us who actually saw the movie, is J. Lo’s performance worth the hype?

It’s good but not anything revolutionary. Constance Wu is much better in the same film.

Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes it is but some people here are snobs so of course they’re gonna say how pedastrian she is or something like that. They just cannot fathom that J.Lo is gonna become a nominee while people like Emily Blunt, Donald Sutherland or Alan Rickman aren’t.

LOL! for Alan Rickman? get real!

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Lopez is getting nominated, but I need Dern to win this. She’s Hollywood royalty and long overdue. I will always have respect for actors who have it all from the beginning, but work their asses off because they are genuinely passionate about their profession. Between Big Little lies, The Tale and Marriage Story, Dern has turned in such sublime work recently. I will stan her throughout the entire season. What will really help is that the Globes LOVE her. And if she wins there, that could kick-start her sweep. I’m ready for it.

She should’ve received a nom for this last year. The noms for Best Actress should’ve been:

Sakura Ando
    Laura Dern
    Glenn Close
    Olivia Colman
    Rosamund Pike

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

She should’ve received a nom for this last year. The noms for Best Actress should’ve been:

Sakura Ando
    Laura Dern
    Glenn Close
    Olivia Colman
    Rosamund Pike

The Tale would have deserved a lot of nominations – including Picture and Director – but it wasn’t eligible. Dern was nominated for an Emmy, which was richly deserved.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Anne Hathaway is getting in for Dark Waters. 😂

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

The Tale would have deserved a lot of nominations – including Picture and Director – but it wasn’t eligible. Dern was nominated for an Emmy, which was richly deserved.

And now the exact same thing is going to happen to Bad Education next year.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

Omg the more you discuss about the fierce race this year, the more awkward I feel when it comes to our latest winner, Regina King.

Rachel Weisz should have won.

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

LOL! for Alan Rickman? get real!

Fuck you. Alan Rickman was an absolutely exceptional actor. He may not have appeared in too many Oscar friendly movies, but that doesn’t mean his incredible work wasn’t worthy. I personally would’ve voted for his performances in Die Hard and Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Sakura Ando
    Laura Dern
    Glenn Close
    Olivia Colman
    Rosamund Pike

C goes first, not D.

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

C goes first, not D.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 471 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.