Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 457 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Stegeo
Babygirl
  • thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Comedy Oscar wins rarely justify themselves when the rival nominees in the category are dramatic. And we’re conditioned to value and take seriously someone making us sad or upset over someone making us grin, smile, and laugh.

To me, that makes comedy being rewarded so special. A great example is Kevin Kline winning for A Fish Called Wanda. That is a straight comedy performance. There’s no other way to interpret it. And yet, despite giving a performance that the Oscars usually don’t go for, in a movie that the Oscars usually don’t go for, he won, simply because he was just so freaking funny.

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

To me, that makes comedy being rewarded so special. A great example is Kevin Kline winning for A Fish Called Wanda. That is a straight comedy performance. There’s no other way to interpret it. And yet, despite giving a performance that the Oscars usually don’t go for, in a movie that the Oscars usually don’t go for, he won, simply because he was just so freaking funny.

Do you think it was category fraud to have him in supporting or is Wanda a movie argumentatively for award bodies works as an ensemble where everybody is supporting?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

My choice at this point is Margot Robbie. For me she is MVP in OUaTiH.

Now that’s a film fantasy I can sign up for.

Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think it was category fraud to have him in supporting or is Wanda a movie argumentatively for award bodies works as an ensemble where everybody is supporting?

Not anymore of a fraud than it was for Geena Davis the same year lol.

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Robbie is more likely to be nominated for Bombshell over Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I’ll be interested if she ends up splitting the vote though, because some people are going as far to say she is the heart and soul of OUaTiH and deserves a nomination, and others say she does nothing. Bombshell seems baitier for her but not likely a BP contender like OUaTiH.

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

C goes first, not D.

I put them in order of how I view their performances. Ando deserved the Oscar last year fight me hehehe

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I call fraud. A Fish Called Wanda is a three-lead film.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I call fraud. A Fish Called Wanda is a three-lead film.

I got to rewatch Wanda, see how Kline’s role measures up compared to John Cleese and Jamie Lee Curtis’. I recall that Kline was nominated in lead at Bafta, where he lost to Cleese. A win that is almost certainly because Cleese is a beloved national treasure, since everyone seems to agree that Kline is the best performance in the film. Michael Palin also ended up winning in supporting at Bafta that year as well.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I put them in order of how I view their performances. Ando deserved the Oscar last year fight me hehehe

Oh, I haven’t watched her. I’m surprised you’ve put Colman so low.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, I haven’t watched her. I’m surprised you’ve put Colman so low.

Yeah. First of all, Colman’s a lead. Second of all, she was the best performance of that year, by far.

Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

Fuck you. Alan Rickman was an absolutely exceptional actor. He may not have appeared in too many Oscar friendly movies, but that doesn’t mean his incredible work wasn’t worthy. I personally would’ve voted for his performances in Die Hard and Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Fuck myself for what? Including Alan Rickman in this conversation utterly irrelevant.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

My choice at this point is Margot Robbie. For me she is MVP in OUaTiH. Now that’s a film fantasy I can sign up for.

Darling, I don’t know you but thank you. Robbie’s electric performance in that sh*tty movie should be rewarded.

I was your Prime Minister once.

POR160893
    Participant
    Topics:

With regards Bombshell, Margot may have competition from her co-star Nicole Kidman in the supporting category

TOSHlRO
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer’s Booty will never go near an oscar nod, not before the better Jennifers (Aniston and Garner) who have clearly given way better work than this milf.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, I don’t know you but thank you. Robbie’s electric performance in that sh*tty movie should be rewarded.

She absolutely embodied the sweet and kind-natured Sharon without effort.
    I’m not a violent person, but yes fire blast those pricks straight into a pool.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 457 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.