Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 470 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Stegeo
Babygirl
  • Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

cats movie is the most disastrous idea in movie history,Judi Dench as cat give me still nightmares

lmao!

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Jlo was good in Hustlers and a nomination would be cute but I feel like the critics were overhyping her a bit tbh. She only had 2 “WOW! give her an Oscar” scenes and they were very very small scenes.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

It worked so well for Glenn.

Seems like it worked for someone else.

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Just got back from Hustlers. It was not the comedy I thought it world be. Jlo was good but i do not see a nomination.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

So I wanna talk about Jlo. As you can see from my profile pic, I have some opinions. Having Jlo as my pfp is not me stanning her. I just think Jlo as a stripper makes for an iconic pfp. That being said, I’d still like to see her get a nom. I thought her performance was great, but not like really special or anything. A nom would be fine, but if she’s completely ignored that would be fine too, it’s not a performance that demands awards recognition. One thing I like about her performance is that I can’t really see another actress in the role, she’s such a magnetic presence, I can’t see a non famous actress giving this role justice. What I liked most was the friendship between Ramona and Destiny and how that was portrayed by Lopez and Wu, it felt so natural and Jlo made me want her to be my best friend. And throughout the movie you don’t really know what Romona thinks, you don’t know if she’s genuine in her friendship or not and I think Lopez does an amazing job of playing that, she could have turned out to truly love or hate Wu’s character and either way would make sense because of her performance. A nomination would definitely be deserved and I really hope people can get over their bias towards her. I know I definitely am biased against her. I’ve honestly always hated Jlo, it seems like she’s probably a huge bitch in person, but the performance really is good. I do think an oscar nom will be difficult for her. It’s not an undeniable performance, and it won’t be a contender besides Lopez so I doubt she’s strong enough to get in as her films only nom. But the year is weak for supporting actress so let’s not count her out or dismiss her performance based on her past work.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, she’s terrific in Selena and Out of Sight, so why not? She’s working all the time.
    Personally I was happy to see Keke Palmer.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Jlo was good in Hustlers and a nomination would be cute but I feel like the critics were overhyping her a bit tbh. She only had 2 “WOW! give her an Oscar” scenes and they were very very small scenes.

She doesn’t have an Oscar scene. Her last scene had potential to be one and her little argument with Wu after they get out of jail, but she really doesn’t have any.

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like people are underestimating Smith. Downton Abbey is absolutely dominating the box office. While it might only have a 64% Metacritic score, it has a 84% on Rotten Tomatoes and with its box office reception and global popularity I could see it pulling through with at the very least Smith getting in at BAFTA and SAG and then the Oscars.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like people are underestimating Smith. Downton Abbey is absolutely dominating the box office. While it might only have a 64% Metacritic score, it has a 84% on Rotten Tomatoes and with its box office reception and global popularity I could see it pulling through with at the very least Smith getting in at BAFTA and SAG and then the Oscars.

The thing about Smith is that I haven’t seen anyone specifically singing her praises the same way they did for JLo in Hustlers, for example. I just see people complimenting the cast as a whole. So I’m not sure she really has the buzz to be an individual nominee, although the BAFTA’s will let her in by default. And I think she’ll get an SAG nomination for cast.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

is a weak year for best supporting,she has a shot for nomination

For the umpteenth time, this is not a weak year for Supporting Actress by any stretch of the imagination. We have about 15 to 20 performances more or less competitive for a nomination.

DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing about Smith is that I haven’t seen anyone specifically singing her praises the same way they did for JLo in Hustlers, for example. I just see people complimenting the cast as a whole. So I’m not sure she really has the buzz to be an individual nominee, although the BAFTA’s will let her in by default. And I think she’ll get an SAG nomination for cast.

Los Angeles Times- “Actress Smith, who dominated every scene she was in in the series, well and truly steals things here as well. When she insists, “I never argue, I explain,” we know we are in good hands.”

AV Club- “As she did on the series, Maggie Smith’s Dowager Countess steals the show with an endless stream of pithy one-liners, and some appreciable emotional pathos, too.”

Reel Views- “While Smith singlehandedly steals every scene in which she appears (not surprising), her fellow actors work effectively as an ensemble.”

Entertainment Weekly- “Dame Maggie Smith) maintains her status as the verbal ninja of landed British gentry. ”

Vulture- “There’s a scene between Smith and Dockery late in the film, in particular, that aims straight at the tear ducts and hits a bull’s eye.”

These of course aren’t to the same extent as the buzz surrounding Lopez, but obviously Smith getting Oscar buzz for Downton Abbey isn’t going to generate as much talk and click bait as Lopez is. I’m not saying Smith is necessarily more likely than Lopez because I do see the likelihood of them both making it in. But I also see Smith more likely to get in at SAG and BAFTA than Lopez.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  DrewN92.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  DrewN92.
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Los Angeles Times- “Actress Smith, who dominated every scene she was in in the series, well and truly steals things here as well. When she insists, “I never argue, I explain,” we know we are in good hands.”

AV Club- “As she did on the series, Maggie Smith’s Dowager Countess steals the show with an endless stream of pithy one-liners, and some appreciable emotional pathos, too.”

Reel Views- “While Smith singlehandedly steals every scene in which she appears (not surprising), her fellow actors work effectively as an ensemble.”

Entertainment Weekly- “Dame Maggie Smith) maintains her status as the verbal ninja of landed British gentry. ”

Vulture- “There’s a scene between Smith and Dockery late in the film, in particular, that aims straight at the tear ducts and hits a bull’s eye.”

These of course aren’t to the same extent as the buzz surrounding Lopez, but obviously Smith getting Oscar buzz for Downton Abbey isn’t going to generate as much talk and click bait as Lopez is. I’m not saying Smith is necessarily more likely than Lopez because I do see the likelihood of them both making it in. But I also see Smith more likely to get in at SAG and BAFTA than Lopez.

That’s critics who are reviewing the movie though. You’re not seeing the general public talking about Maggie Smith being Oscar worthy the way they were for JLo. For example, if you search Downton Abbey on Twitter, you just get people talking about the film. If you searched Hustlers on Twitter back when it debuted at TIFF, everyone was talking about JLo.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Joker
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Joker

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s critics who are reviewing the movie though. You’re not seeing the general public talking about Maggie Smith being Oscar worthy the way they were for JLo. For example, if you search Downton Abbey on Twitter, you just get people talking about the film. If you searched Hustlers on Twitter back when it debuted at TIFF, everyone was talking about JLo.

Of course noone should be crazy about someone playing a role countless times on TV and movie like beating a dead horse (no shade against Dame Maggie, she is always wavy, she just needs to be more versatile)

Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

Apart from the surprising emotional range she showcases, as well as impressive physical strength in the role, (at least she didn’t have a body double dancing like a certain Oscar winner), JLo deserves the Oscar nomination for her menacing delivery of “you ungrateful little bitch” alone. Definitely stanning her this year. Wu was also impressive. A surprisingly enjoyable and timely movie.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

If you check out my post on the Downton thread you’ll see that Smith more than has the reviews to support a nomination

That’s critics who are reviewing the movie though. You’re not seeing the general public talking about Maggie Smith being Oscar worthy the way they were for JLo.

Obviously not in the same way as for JLo (but then you have to remember she’s a pop star with a fan following) but Smith also definitely has general public talking about her. Just searching her name into Twitter reveals loads of tweets praising her performance and touting her for Oscar recognition.

For Your GoldDerby Decade Awards Consideration:

Downton Abbey in Series, Supporting Actress and Ensemble. Glee in Supporting Actress, Guest Actor and Guest Actress.

Claire Foy and Lisa Kudrow in Drama and Comedy Actress respectively.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 470 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.