Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 450 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Babygirl
Monsoon
  • Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

My current bet for the win is Laura Dern, but we’ll see once Marriage Story comes out.

On paper Dern makes the most sense…somewhat overdue, career renaissance, the film likely a top 5 contender, but early word from Eric Kohn seemed to indicate the film was a real two-hander between Driver and Johannson.

But who the hell else could win? For sure not Robbie in the Tarantino nor Smith in a fan service movie, Shuzen has the performance but is an unknown who doesn’t speak English, Spencer can’t win as a film’s sole nominee, Pugh doesn’t have a winning character, and Kidman’s no Academy darling. If Marriage Story turns out as expected, Scar Jo will campaign more in lead than supporting for Jojo, and Driver will also probably focus his efforts there, leaving Benning in a weird position for the Report, not to mention Amazon’s constantly shifting release strategy for it.

So yeah, Dern makes the most sense, with Shuzen and Benning looking like the only other possible winners ATM.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Shuzen has the performance but is an unknown who doesn’t speak English,

I dont think this is as big of a barrier than in the past. There were lots of Marina de Tavrina predicts after she got a nom. Also she isnt an “unknown”, she is an accomplished stage and tv actress. I think if Dern doesnt have it, then she may very well take it.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

On paper Dern makes the most sense…somewhat overdue, career renaissance, the film likely a top 5 contender, but early word from Eric Kohn seemed to indicate the film was a real two-hander between Driver and Johannson.

But who the hell else could win? For sure not Robbie in the Tarantino nor Smith in a fan service movie, Shuzen has the performance but is an unknown who doesn’t speak English, Spencer can’t win as a film’s sole nominee, Pugh doesn’t have a winning character, and Kidman’s no Academy darling. If Marriage Story turns out as expected, Scar Jo will campaign more in lead than supporting for Jojo, and Driver will also probably focus his efforts there, leaving Benning in a weird position for the Report, not to mention Amazon’s constantly shifting release strategy for it.

So yeah, Dern makes the most sense, with Shuzen and Benning looking like the only other possible winners ATM.

I bet the Globes will decide this one again. Wouldn’t be surprised if a vet like Bening or Dern took it there this year.

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

If that’s the line-up, then I guess Nic is winning 2nd dildo. Weird, winning supporting actress after winning best actress.

Helen Hayes was the first woman to do so. Followed by Ingrid Bergman who had two Best Actress trophies before winning a third in supporting. No shame in 2nd Oscar wins in the supporting category if you already won a lead prize. Jack Nicholson was the first man to do so followed by Gene Hackman.

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

An Asian woman hasn’t won an Oscar in over 60 years. With the possibility of two Asian women being nominated (Awkwafina and Shuzhen), I think there will be a huge push to award an Asian woman this year, and I think a supporting actress win is more likely than Awkwafina winning for lead.

yep I agree. Regardless just to have asian representation in the award season conversation is so overdue, I am so happy.

Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Margot Robbie getting in, it didn’t work with Mary, Queen of Scots and that was a much bigger role.

Is Meryl supporting in both LW and The Laundromat?

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Margot IS getting in, for Bombshell.

The trailer for The Laundromat makes her look like the lead. I guess if it’s a strong ensemble they can fraud her into supporting, if they do she’ll get in for sure.

Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

But it’s not like getting into lead is that more difficult for her this year than supporting.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Meryl might be coming for the win

Banned for making a fake movie poster

Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

But it’s not like getting into lead is that more difficult for her this year than supporting.

True, but the predictions center has her in supporting right now. Which seems wrong based on the trailer, but we’ll see.

doctorstark97
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl Streep is definitely not supporting in “The Laundromat”. It’s the biggest category fraud of the season, if she goes supporting.

That’s from Wikipedia:

The film follows Ellen Martin (Streep), whose dream vacation takes a wrong turn and leads her down a rabbit hole of shady dealings that can all be traced to one Panama City law firm, run by seductive partners Jürgen Mossack (Oldman) and Ramón Fonseca (Banderas). She soon learns that her minor predicament is only a drop in the bucket of millions of files linking an off-shore tax scheme to the world’s richest and most powerful political leaders.

So, she’d better go Lead and let the supporting be Dern vs Bening (or Smith).

Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah I think it should be fixed in the predictions center.

Gwen Gentry
    Participant
    Topics:

Dern got a spontaneous applause and ovations during the press screening of Marriage Story, she seems to have a big juicy scene in the movie

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Gwen Gentry.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Gwen Gentry.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 450 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.