Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 356 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
I Don't Need ..
Victor Cruz
  • zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Emma Thompson gives a LEAD performance and belongs in the Bet Actress lineup. She’s definitely given my favorite performance by a lead actress in 2019 so far but very few contenders have been released yet.

Even though I didn’t like OUATIH and I thought the writing wasn’t particularly good, Margot Robbie gives the film’s best and most memorable performance and would be a worthy contender.

While I liked Robbie’s performance, I don’t think there’s enough substance to justify a nomination. It’s really just the theater scene…

ReplyCopy URL
    awardsdontmatter
    Participant
    Topics:

Zhao Shuzhen in The Farewell! – it’s so aggravating that she’ll have to fight for a nomination, when she deserves a WIN. The fact that the number of Asian actors nominated for Oscars is abysmal aside, she truly gave an effortlessly natural, emotionally ripe and overall phenomenal performance. Let’s keep the buzz going!

ReplyCopy URL
    doctorstark97
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d love to see Dame Maggie Smith winning her third and joining Meryl, DDL, Jack Nicholson, Ingrid Bergman and Walter Brennan, assuming she’s one of the fewer that deserve to. Unfortunately, I don’t give any chances to Annette Bening, she’d be my front-runner a few months ago, but now she’s simply drowned by so many great performances.

I can also see Florence Pugh getting a nom for “Little Women”, as a make-up for not nominating her for “Midsommar”. The prediction center has Margot Robbie as a front-runner, which seems a bit absurd if one reads reviews of the film and her part. She’ll get a nom, though.

I’m looking forward to seeing Laura Dern in Marriage Story and change my predictions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

My current bet for the win is Laura Dern, but we’ll see once Marriage Story comes out.

On paper Dern makes the most sense…somewhat overdue, career renaissance, the film likely a top 5 contender, but early word from Eric Kohn seemed to indicate the film was a real two-hander between Driver and Johannson.

But who the hell else could win? For sure not Robbie in the Tarantino nor Smith in a fan service movie, Shuzen has the performance but is an unknown who doesn’t speak English, Spencer can’t win as a film’s sole nominee, Pugh doesn’t have a winning character, and Kidman’s no Academy darling. If Marriage Story turns out as expected, Scar Jo will campaign more in lead than supporting for Jojo, and Driver will also probably focus his efforts there, leaving Benning in a weird position for the Report, not to mention Amazon’s constantly shifting release strategy for it.

So yeah, Dern makes the most sense, with Shuzen and Benning looking like the only other possible winners ATM.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Shuzen has the performance but is an unknown who doesn’t speak English,

I dont think this is as big of a barrier than in the past. There were lots of Marina de Tavrina predicts after she got a nom. Also she isnt an “unknown”, she is an accomplished stage and tv actress. I think if Dern doesnt have it, then she may very well take it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

On paper Dern makes the most sense…somewhat overdue, career renaissance, the film likely a top 5 contender, but early word from Eric Kohn seemed to indicate the film was a real two-hander between Driver and Johannson.

But who the hell else could win? For sure not Robbie in the Tarantino nor Smith in a fan service movie, Shuzen has the performance but is an unknown who doesn’t speak English, Spencer can’t win as a film’s sole nominee, Pugh doesn’t have a winning character, and Kidman’s no Academy darling. If Marriage Story turns out as expected, Scar Jo will campaign more in lead than supporting for Jojo, and Driver will also probably focus his efforts there, leaving Benning in a weird position for the Report, not to mention Amazon’s constantly shifting release strategy for it.

So yeah, Dern makes the most sense, with Shuzen and Benning looking like the only other possible winners ATM.

I bet the Globes will decide this one again. Wouldn’t be surprised if a vet like Bening or Dern took it there this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

If that’s the line-up, then I guess Nic is winning 2nd dildo. Weird, winning supporting actress after winning best actress.

Helen Hayes was the first woman to do so. Followed by Ingrid Bergman who had two Best Actress trophies before winning a third in supporting. No shame in 2nd Oscar wins in the supporting category if you already won a lead prize. Jack Nicholson was the first man to do so followed by Gene Hackman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

An Asian woman hasn’t won an Oscar in over 60 years.  With the possibility of two Asian women being nominated (Awkwafina and Shuzhen), I think there will be a huge push to award an Asian woman this year, and I think a supporting actress win is more likely than Awkwafina winning for lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

An Asian woman hasn’t won an Oscar in over 60 years. With the possibility of two Asian women being nominated (Awkwafina and Shuzhen), I think there will be a huge push to award an Asian woman this year, and I think a supporting actress win is more likely than Awkwafina winning for lead.

yep I agree. Regardless just to have asian representation in the award season conversation is so overdue, I am so happy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Margot Robbie getting in, it didn’t work with Mary, Queen of Scots and that was a much bigger role.

Is Meryl supporting in both LW and The Laundromat?

ReplyCopy URL
    Dorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Margot IS getting in, for Bombshell.

The trailer for The Laundromat makes her look like the lead. I guess if it’s a strong ensemble they can fraud her into supporting, if they do she’ll get in for sure.

brb stanning Adam Driver

ReplyCopy URL
    Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

But it’s not like getting into lead is that more difficult for her this year than supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl might be coming for the win

GIVE LENA HEADEY HER EMMY

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 356 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.