Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 450 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
GregSprinkles
Babygirl
M: The Original
  • Profile picture
    Chfrik
    Topics:

you really think jlo will won over laura dern?after 10 minute monologue who got standing ovation?,and emma watson?lol she is terrible actress,only streep can get best sup for that movie

You are underestimating Emma Watson

And I think that the #2 and #3 has equal chances at getting the big prize. I Just placed then randomly, and I honestly think that JLO has the edge, but who knows

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Dern pulled a huge finesse move and got nominated in 2015 without any precursor nom. This wasn’t even a Tavira type of coattail since Wild wasn’t playing anywhere outside of Best Actress. She just happened, off the strength of a few critics noms (and not even the biggest ones) because they just like her that much

She’s winning this in a cakewalk unless something really unexpected happens. And if someone upsets her, it surely won’t be the supermodel

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

whatever,she is winning honey,her speech is done and dress is in a hanger

I ain’t arguing with that, her delivery was so sharp it could’ve cut my head off

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

did you see it?

yeah I saw it at tiff a while back

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

yeah I saw it at tiff a while back

Girl spill the tea on Driver and Johansson too.

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

Da’Vine Joy Randolph (previous Tony Nominee for the Ghost Musical) is getting standout reviews for Dolemite is My Name.

“One of the sweetest moments in the film – we’re talking “so sweet it’s going to make you shed a tear or two” – arrives when Lady Reed offers a heartfelt thank you to Rudy for helping her out… Randolph is sensational in the role, and if there’s any justice in the film world, this part will help her break out into even bigger things.” – https://www.slashfilm.com/dolemite-is-my-name-review/

“But the standout supporting player is Da’Vine Joy Randolph as Lady Reed, a heartbroken woman Moore meets on tour who becomes his co-star, confidant, and platonic companion… it’s genuinely moving when Reed tells Moore, “I’m so grateful for what you did for me, cause I’d never seen nobody that looks like me up there on that big screen,”… themes of racism in Hollywood and the importance of representation are key to the movie’s heart.” – https://film.avclub.com/rudy-ray-moore-biopic-dolemite-is-my-name-puts-a-feel-g-1838457850

“But the movie’s MVP is Da’Vine Joy Randolph. Introduced mid-way through proceedings, she shares an electric scene with Murphy where he identifies her comedy potential, and soon enough she’s starring on stage and screen as ball-breaker extraordinaire Lady Reed. Her journey is every bit as engaging as Rudy Ray Moore’s, and Randolph gives the character genuine warmth and pathos.” – https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/09/dolemite-is-my-name-review-netflix-eddie-murphy

“you are going to become a fan of Da’Vine Joy Randolph who has a breakout role as Moore’s friend and protégé.” – http://collider.com/dolemite-is-my-name-review-netflix/#tiff-2019

“Lady Reed (an excellent Da’Vine Joy Randolph)… Reed gets a speech about representation that at first seemed like overkill—we can infer what she’s saying from the scenes she’s in—but perhaps it needed to be vocalized anyway so the folks in the back can hear it.” – https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dolemite-is-my-name-2019

Could she be a contender for a nomination if the movie continues to play well? Even sounds like she gets her own big speech to be her oscar scene

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by nkb325.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by nkb325.
    Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

I finally saw Hustlers. I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would but I personally don’t see it getting in anywhere at the Oscars other than Jlo. She was good but I really don’t understand where all of this awards buzz is coming from. Maybe it was just over-hyped by the media so I had too high of expectations, because she definitely was consistent, but she never had a big scene or a moment where I felt genuinely impressed. I’m sure she will still get a nomination though.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Da’Vine Joy Randolph (previous Tony Nominee for the Ghost Musical) is getting standout reviews for Dolemite is My Name.

“One of the sweetest moments in the film – we’re talking “so sweet it’s going to make you shed a tear or two” – arrives when Lady Reed offers a heartfelt thank you to Rudy for helping her out… Randolph is sensational in the role, and if there’s any justice in the film world, this part will help her break out into even bigger things.” – https://www.slashfilm.com/dolemite-is-my-name-review/

“But the standout supporting player is Da’Vine Joy Randolph as Lady Reed, a heartbroken woman Moore meets on tour who becomes his co-star, confidant, and platonic companion… it’s genuinely moving when Reed tells Moore, “I’m so grateful for what you did for me, cause I’d never seen nobody that looks like me up there on that big screen,”… themes of racism in Hollywood and the importance of representation are key to the movie’s heart.” – https://film.avclub.com/rudy-ray-moore-biopic-dolemite-is-my-name-puts-a-feel-g-1838457850

“But the movie’s MVP is Da’Vine Joy Randolph. Introduced mid-way through proceedings, she shares an electric scene with Murphy where he identifies her comedy potential, and soon enough she’s starring on stage and screen as ball-breaker extraordinaire Lady Reed. Her journey is every bit as engaging as Rudy Ray Moore’s, and Randolph gives the character genuine warmth and pathos.” – https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/09/dolemite-is-my-name-review-netflix-eddie-murphy

“you are going to become a fan of Da’Vine Joy Randolph who has a breakout role as Moore’s friend and protégé.” – http://collider.com/dolemite-is-my-name-review-netflix/#tiff-2019

“Lady Reed (an excellent Da’Vine Joy Randolph)… Reed gets a speech about representation that at first seemed like overkill—we can infer what she’s saying from the scenes she’s in—but perhaps it needed to be vocalized anyway so the folks in the back can hear it.” – https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dolemite-is-my-name-2019

Could she be a contender for a nomination if the movie continues to play well? Even sounds like she gets her own big speech to be her oscar scene

She’s already one of my early picks. I figure they’ll ignore Luce so instead of Spencer regular they’ll go with Spencer diet.

Profile picture
    Chimichanggas
    Topics:

People, should I still be rooting for a 22nd Streep nomination?

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

People, should I still be rooting for a 22nd Streep nomination?

It will happen anyway whether you roots for her or not.

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Why are people so myopic? I don’t see any mention for Annette Bening and her role in ‘The Report’. She is playing an actual person and has received raves. But i guess sheep follow a trend and these days Dern is supposed to be “in”. Come November and you’ll be singing a different tune.

Profile picture
    Topics:

It will happen anyway whether you roots for her or not.

That doesn’t mean it’ll happen this season.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Why are people so myopic? I don’t see any mention for Annette Bening and her role in ‘The Report’. She is playing an actual person and has received raves. But i guess sheep follow a trend and these days Dern is supposed to be “in”. Come November and you’ll be singing a different tune.

The Report only has Bening going for it. Driver’s nod will be for the Marriage movie. Unless the precursors Close/Wife Bening for The Report, no one suspects overdue narrative will get her to victory here.

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

The Report only has Bening going for it. Driver’s nod will be for the Marriage movie. Unless the precursors Close/Wife Bening for The Report, no one suspects overdue narrative will get her to victory here.

Laura Dern is winning by a landslide. No way GG will award Bening that easily after having awarded her twice, in lead! She should happy to be nominated. At least she will be in that 5-time Oscar nominee list, a record already better than 95% of Hollywood.

Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

Continue the conversation in Part 2.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 450 total)

The topic ‘Best Supporting Actress Thread: 2020 Awards’ is closed to new replies.