Home Forums Movies Booksmart (2019)

Booksmart (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
EsOS
Heptapod
Jays
  • EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

THIS MOVIE WAS COMEDY GOLD. I can’t believe what I just saw. Insanely good. I’ll stan hard this season.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

How much is Lisa Kudrow in this because if she has enough screen time I can see her getting a Globe nom, kinda like Laurie Metcalf for Lady Bird

Globes FYC- Fleabag, Phoebe Waller Bridge, Jodie Comer, Dame Emma Thompson, The Crown

SAG FYC- The Crown, Olivia Colman, Fleabag, PWB

Critics Choice- Schitts Creek, Fleabag, Killing Eve, Bodyguard

BAFTA- Fleabag, Killing Eve

Oscars FYC ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Maggie Smith’

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

How much is Lisa Kudrow in this because if she has enough screen time I can see her getting a Globe nom, kinda like Laurie Metcalf for Lady Bird

About 3-4 minutes. She has no chance.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Realistically, what GG and/or Oscar noms can this get?

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

fan-fucking-tastic, outrageously hilarious but not at an expense of substance, a shame that it’s currently flopping at the box office, probably my favourite new release this year

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Realistically, what GG and/or Oscar noms can this get?

At the Globes, I think it’s definitely got a slot in Best Comedy Actress. Whether it’s Feldstein or Dever in that slot, I can’t really say, but right now, my gut goes with Dever just because she has the meatier and subtler role and does both the drama and the comedy really well. However, they might just default to Feldstein just because she has the bigger name. I don’t see both getting noms at this point. I’d also say that it has a great shot at Picture too. Comedy Picture is shaping up to be a weaker category this year (at least from what we can see now, of course things might change), and while last year’s Eighth Grade snub gives me pause, I think that this is less arthouse and will therefore probably attract voters more. I think it also has a really really good shot at Screenplay, but I’m less sure about predicting that one just because the Globes tend to shy away from nominating straight-up comedies there. Olivia Wilde’s direction is incredibly fresh and innovative, and while it’s wholly deserving of a nod, the fact that this is a comedy combined with the Globes still being somewhat averse to giving female directors votes makes me think that she’s a very long shot.

At the Oscars, I think it’s a sure shot for Original Screenplay. It’s funny, because while Adapted Screenplay seems to be allergic to both teen movies and comedies (snubs for The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Crazy Rich Asians, and Mean Girls come to mind), Original Screenplay is much more open to them (20th Century Women, Bridesmaids, The Big Sick, etc.). However, I unfortunately don’t see it moving anywhere past that. While Feldstein, Dever, and Lourd are all very deserving of attention, they’re definitely not the kinds of performances that the Oscars like to vote for. And while Wilde will honestly probably be more deserving than half of the actual nominees, her type of fresh and innovative direction isn’t something that voters gravitate towards. It doesn’t have a shot at any of the below-the-line technical categories, so without any of those, acting contenders, or a director nom, you can’t skate to Best Picture with just a screenplay nod, so BP is probably out of the question as well.

So if that longer-than-expected rant was too long and unintelligible, here are my predicted nods for the whole season. Also, I don’t know if it’s eligible for the Independent Spirit Awards? I can’t find a number anywhere online for its budget, but I’ll assume that it’s eligible and include my predictions here too.

GOLDEN GLOBES
    Best Picture (Comedy/Musical)
    Best Actress (Comedy/Musical) – Kaitlyn Dever
    Best Screenplay

CRITICS CHOICE
    Best Comedy
    Best Actress in a Comedy – Kaitlyn Dever
    Best Actress in a Comedy – Beanie Feldstein
    Best Screenplay

WGA
    Best Original Screenplay

DGA
    Best First-Time Feature Film

INDEPENDENT SPIRIT AWARDS
    Best Feature
    Best Director
    Best Female Lead – Kaitlyn Dever
    Best Screenplay

OSCARS
    Best Original Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

This movie was amazing! What a knockout directorial debut! I found the 2nd half a bit messy and disjointed but that actually made it better since it went in places where I did not expect it. I’m gonna stan for this all year.

Was that Cardi B? absolutely killed me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I just want Beanie to get her Oscar nom

ReplyCopy URL
    KBDenis
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved it! I think it can pick up GG for screenplay, Best comedy actress (Beanie), and comedy film!

Great debut for Wilde. My review can be found here: https://blackboybulletin.com/2019/06/03/movie-review-booksmart/

ReplyCopy URL
    AWDubay
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the best film of the year so far…. everyone should go see it

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

It was very good, but it’s definitely getting overpraised. It’s not gonna be one of the 10 best films of the year or anything like that, right now it is, because it’s June, but come on. No. It’s not that good either.

I laughed a lot and I loved both girls and their performances, but Wilde did go for a lot of cliches and so did the script. Dever was fantastic, Feldstein was hilarious and also very good in her few dramatic moments.

But we’ve seen MANY versions of this film before and several scenes felt been there done that. As did some of the performances and overall comedy moments. It felt redundant way too many times for me to praise it like everybody else is doing.

I will give Wilde & Co. huge props for the underwater pool scene which I think was excellent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

This was good, specially the scene were they realized they are high.I don’t think it deserves and will go past the globes where it may get Comedy Film and Best Actress in a Comedy/Musical.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alan McFly Chrzan
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I thought that this movie is overhyped, but it’s not. For me it’s the best movie of 2019 (ex aequo Avengers: Endgame). It was funny, it has brilliant scrpit, amazing performances, very good soundtrack and more, go to cinema as fast as you can!

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw this for the fourth time last night. I NEVER see movies more than once in the theater (my previous record was The Force Awakens with three times but only because all three of those were family events), but I just haven’t been able to get enough. I can pretty confidently say that it’s going to be at the number one spot of favorites at the end of the year, seeing as how it’s entered my top four of all time. I love this movie so damn much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.