Home Forums Movies Booksmart (2019)

Booksmart (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
ospencer
Heptapod
Jays
  • Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

This deserves a Best Original Screenplay nomination.

Hopefully it will, would be more confident in AP opened like FS did with Isle of Dogs or even Amazon is doing with Late Night. What @heptapod said about it’s awards season being the below seems like it’s most safe path.

GOLDEN GLOBES
    Best Picture (Comedy/Musical)
    Best Actress (Comedy/Musical) – Kaitlyn Dever
    Best Screenplay

CRITICS CHOICE
    Best Comedy
    Best Actress in a Comedy – Kaitlyn Dever
    Best Actress in a Comedy – Beanie Feldstein
    Best Screenplay

WGA
    Best Original Screenplay

DGA
    Best First-Time Feature Film

INDEPENDENT SPIRIT AWARDS
    Best First Feature
    Best Director
    Best Female Lead – Kaitlyn Dever
    Best Screenplay

OSCARS
    Best Original Screenplay

Think it might actually win DGA, WGA and Indie Spirit First Feature

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

I must admit, I thought this was pretty awful.  It was clearly trying to ride on the coattails of Lady Bird and Eighth Grade.  Except what made Lady Bird and Eighth Grade so charming was how hyperrealistic it felt.  Booksmart could not possibly be less realistic, the characters are cliched and paper thin, and the acting is pretty awful from the two leads.  This film has a few laughs, but it tries way too hard most of the time and really just feels amateurish.  I think it’s a solid 6/10 and doesn’t deserve award recognition.  We’ve seen far superior attempts at similar stories in the last two years.  I don’t see award voters taking to this one.

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

I must admit, I thought this was pretty awful. It was clearly trying to ride on the coattails of Lady Bird and Eighth Grade. Except what made Lady Bird and Eighth Grade so charming was how hyperrealistic it felt. Booksmart could not possibly be less realistic, the characters are cliched and paper thin, and the acting is pretty awful from the two leads. This film has a few laughs, but it tries way too hard most of the time and really just feels amateurish. I think it’s a solid 6/10 and doesn’t deserve award recognition. We’ve seen far superior attempts at similar stories in the last two years. I don’t see award voters taking to this one.

LIES, LIES, LIES

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I just came home from watching it. It was a good movie but not as good as I expected it to be with all the acclaim it’s getting. The movie fell flat when the boat cruise scene happened but the two drama students made up for it lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

It was very good, but it’s definitely getting overpraised. It’s not gonna be one of the 10 best films of the year or anything like that, right now it is, because it’s June, but come on. No. It’s not that good either. I laughed a lot and I loved both girls and their performances, but Wilde did go for a lot of cliches and so did the script. Dever was fantastic, Feldstein was hilarious and also very good in her few dramatic moments. But we’ve seen MANY versions of this film before and several scenes felt been there done that. As did some of the performances and overall comedy moments. It felt redundant way too many times for me to praise it like everybody else is doing. I will give Wilde & Co. huge props for the underwater pool scene which I think was excellent.

MTE. It was very cliche for me to say it’s one of the best of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Think it might actually win DGA, WGA and Indie Spirit First Feature

Omg we can only PRAY!

My only worry about the screenplay categories is that there are four names attached to it. I based my predicted trajectory of this movie a lot on Eighth Grade, due to the similarities between the two, but I think that the main difference is that Eighth Grade was obviously Bo Burnham’s passion project, while Booksmart’s script was written by four different people over the span of ten years. I think it’s also worrying that none of those four names is Olivia Wilde or anyone super recognizable. The writing itself makes it INCREDIBLY deserving, and the behind-the-scenes aspects shouldn’t have an impact, but I worry that those four obscure names might end up dragging it down.

Basically, I don’t think I’m going to change any of my predictions for the movie’s noms yet, I just don’t think I’ll feel ready to predict it winning anything until we get later into the year (or at least I do a little more research into these screenplay awards).

It’s still SO incredibly deserving, though. Olivia Wilde winning DGA would make my heart sing!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.