Home Forums Movies Cannes 2019

Cannes 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
AMG
FreemanGriffin
Pollo crudo
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Four more films to go in competition! I assume the awards are on the 25th? Most of the films are ones I hope to eventually get to see, they really did a great job of selecting the films for this year’s competition!

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

pain & glory still looks like the safest bet for palme o’dor to me, although parasite is also looking very promising

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

pain & glory still looks like the safest bet for palme o’dor to me, although parasite is also looking very promising

Portrait of a Lady on Fire has just as good a chance as those two

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am thinking that Pain and Glory will win Best Actor (Antonio Banderas) and Portrait of a Lady on Fire will win either the Palme d’Or or the Grand Jury Prize, with Parasite being a strong contender as well. But it all depends on the last 4 films…

ReplyCopy URL
    M Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

My Pythias tell me we’ll have another 2016.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

I Lost My Body – CRITIC’S WEEK GRAND PRIZE WINNER FIRST REACTIONS

Sam Clements: Wow. Jérémy Clapin’s I Lost My Body was something else. The 81 minute runtime is chock-full of innovative animation techniques. Dan Levy’s original score gave me chills (with a little Interstellar vibe!)

Fabian Lemercier: Animation sends sparks flying on the Croisette with the feature debut from French director Jérémy Clapin, I LOST MY BODY, a moving, inventive, and prodigious gem of storytelling

Mina Takla: Jérémy Clapin’s film is a unique, inventive if slightly undercooked, animated gem

Jordan Mintzer: A highly original and rather touching account of loss, both physical and emotional, this is the kind of mature animation flick that could find traction beyond the fest circuit.

Alex Billington: Oh wow. An ambitious, beautiful animated film that is much more than it looks. I adore this one, please seek it out. The score by Dan Levy is one of my favorites of Cannes 2019. It’s a bit creepy but very sweet, and moved me with it’s tragic dual-narrative story.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The Traitor First Reactions

Deborah Young: From TV to Hollywood, the world has no shortage of mafia dramas, but Marco Bellocchio’s The Traitor (Il traditore) carves out its own niche

Charles Bramesco: look, I love contentious court proceedings as much as the next guy, but I’m only human and I have my limits

Gregory Ellwood: I thought The Traitor was quite compelling. It’s broad but entertaining in an Italian Mob movie way. Lots of quippy lines. That being said, it has the worst Rio de Janeiro for Miami I have EVER seen. If they want to make the shortlist they gotta fix that.

Tim Grierson: a dense, compelling true-life mafia tale that can’t quite transcend some fundamental limitations.

Bilge Ebiri: Marco Bellocchio’s THE TRAITOR: Dub this into English, release it as THE GODFATHER – PART IV, make all the money.

David Ehrlich: An Honorable but Exasperating Biopic About the First Mob Boss to Inform on the Mafia

George Addison: There’s a truly epic quality to Marco Bellocchio’s triumph Il Traditore: every assassination mini-sequence has instant iconic power. A monumental Pierfrancesco Favino breathes volcanic life into his Buscetta in Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, formal Sicilian, subtitled Sicilian.

Francesc Vilallonga: An impeccable chronicle of two decades of Sicilia. Its precision and rigour dazzles. And Pierfrancesco Favino, the favorite for the best actor award. Masterful.

Jason Bressand: begins sluggishly, but ends at it’s best, thanks to the grandiose play of its main actor and the meticulous retelling of the lawsuits. A very likely acting prize winner

David Bartoli: Great film. Against the Mafia. For the fight of a man. Great performances. Bravo

Manu Yanez: All right Il Traditore by the maestro Marco Bellocchio, a chronicle, from the bowels, of an Italy eaten away by its monsters, its culture and its tendency to create myths. More factual (and less) than cathartic Good Morning, Night, but incisive and exciting.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^Marco Bellochio for Best Director?

3 more in competition films to go! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    syrus80
    Participant
    Topics:

Any reactions on the film Port Authority?

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire has just as good a chance as those two

Probably my most anticipated film so far, so I would be overjoyed if it laid claim to a big prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Probably my most anticipated film so far, so I would be overjoyed if it laid claim to a big prize.

What is your opinion on Xavier Dolan in general ?? I’ve been wondering lol

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Mektoub, My Love: Intermezzo First Reactions

David Ehrlich: the director of Blue Is the Warmest Color made a 4-hour movie about butts. it’s the same length as Lawrence of Arabia, and literally 60% of the movie is close-ups of butts. i had a mild psychotic break at one point

Robbie Collin: I’m a great admirer of Abdellatif Kechiche’s filmography, but thanks to Mektoub, My Love: Infinity War, there are now some big buts.

Guy Lodge: Abdellatif Kechiche is a filmmaker I’ve loved, the first MEKTOUB I thought was messy with good stuff going on inside… and now the appalling MEKTOUB, MY LOVE: INTERMEZZO has me doubting my investment on all counts. A crushing, trollish letdown.

Fionnuala Halligan: The question lingers: why put the actresses through such extensive voyeurism, for such thin drama?

AA Dowd: Almost impressed by the monumental tedium of Abdellatif Kechiche’s 3.5-hour MEKTOUB, MY LOVE: INTERMEZZO. It’s like being locked inside a dance club all night with the most boring twentysomethings alive, not a drop of alcohol in your system

Patricia Hetherington: I just walked out of Mektoub My Love: Intermezzo. The most lacivicious leery trash I’ve seen. Eurgh! Talk about objectification and voyeurism.

Stephen Miller: I’ve witnessed the worst film in competition by miles, and its name is MEKTOUB. Like Louis CK’s leaked standup, Kechiche takes every valid complaint lobbed at BitWC and quadruples down: contemptible, male gazing garbage.

Jason Gorber: The unofficial sequel to BROWN BUNNY hops to Cannes – maliciously repetitive, it’s a demonic film trapped in a Eruotrash dance club. Assembled with as much flair as an assembly cut, it’s a violently repetitive ode to shaking butts and breasts

Jamie Graham: And the Palme Bore goes to Mektoub, My Love: Intermezzo, a bump-and-grindingly tedious, 3.5hr odyssey of nibbling strawberries & adjusting bikinis on the beach, then hitting a club to twerk unendingly. Comes to a head with 15 mins of anatomically detailed cunnilingus

Jason Solomons: I’m wondering: is Mektoub the worst film any previous Palme d’Or winner has ever returned to Cannes with?

Tommaso Tocci: By definition inferior to the glorious CANTO UNO, MEKTOUB, MY LOVE: INTERMEZZO is free to be even more radical. Forces you to fight time, pushes you to confront arousal, dares you to look away through endless repetition. Shameless but monumental

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

What is your opinion on Xavier Dolan in general ?? I’ve been wondering lol

I generally dislike his work. His best to me is never better than boring melodrama (I Killed My Mother), while most of his output is garbage to my eye. So ever-steeped in empty stylism and obvious (or hilariously wrong) music cues. Performances are only ever scattered or obnoxious. Many give him a pass, or even laud him for this, because he is supposedly coming at his films from a place of “youth;” to me, he is coming at his films from a place of ignorance.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I generally dislike his work. His best to me is never better than boring melodrama (I Killed My Mother), while most of his output is garbage to my eye. So ever-steeped in empty stylism and obvious (or hilariously wrong) music cues. Performances are only ever scattered or obnoxious. Many give him a pass, or even laud him for this, because he is supposedly coming at his films from a place of “youth;” to me, he is coming at his films from a place of ignorance.

Thanks! I hope you don’t mind me asking unrelated questions once in a while, I love reading you.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Looking forward to reading the reviews of Sibyl in particular – wondering if Virginie Efira and/or Adele Exarpachoulos could win Best Actress?

I wonder if the jury is keeping themselves away from reviews this year? I know that some juries have done so in the past.

Every year when I do my predictions I mostly get the right films winning but in the wrong categories, lol! (: I am waiting to see what the reviews are of the last few films before I decide but I have some ideas already – does anyone know if there will a livestream available in the U.S. of the awards ceremony?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.