Home Forums Movies Cannes 2019

Cannes 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
AMG
FreemanGriffin
Pollo crudo
  • FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks! I hope you don’t mind me asking unrelated questions once in a while, I love reading you.

Oh, well thank you! I don’t mind at all, though I may not be sharing very popular sentiments… lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

It Must Be Heaven First Reactions

Eric Kohn: It’s always a delight to see Elia Suleiman back in action. The meta charmer IT MUST BE HEAVEN finds him pitching this very movie, and it’s another endearing slapstick statement on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Charles Bramesco: Phenomenal stuff here, more Tatiesque wide-shot comedy now brought into the world beyond Palestine (which reminds our man a whole lot of Palestine). The New York bit is hilarious. Crowd very receptive, multiple applause breaks

Alisha Rouse: It Must Be Heaven was beautifully charming, moving and the first film of the fest to make me snort laugh. Big achievement

Joseph Fahim: Elia Sulieman’s ‘It Must Be Heaven’: really good but not great, and certainly not his best work

Victor Blanes Pico: And Suleiman came to conquer us with his biting vision of the world. IT MUST BE HEAVEN or the mirror of who we are through small moments of lucidity in three very different cities and cultures. The gag as means and end. Sparkly.

Christian Monggaard: Elia Suleimans It Must Be Heaven – where the director himself is the lead – is a really funny and absurd, Roy Andersson-esque film about human folly and the wonderful and weird world we all inhabit, and at the same time a tribute to Palestine

Diego Lerer: Great movie Elia Suleiman, IT MUST BE HEAVEN. Perhaps the festival has saved the best til last

Florent Boutet: What a funny and tender film that It Must Be Heaven is. Finishing on this light and intelligent humor of hope and benevolence signs off a marvelous epilogue to a festival that was no less so.

Thierry Cheze: Elia Suleiman findsa poetic grace of divine intervention with It Must Be Heaven. Applause during, and in the credits, he has conquered the Lumière.

Pavel Sladky: The skeptical Palestinian clown Elia Suleiman returns after 10 years with a melancholic dark comedy about what defines home for us and how to live in the space of empathy and poetry. Beautiful, funny, clever.

Javier Zurro: Brilliant closing with ‘It Must Be Heaven’ a comedy (yes, it can be) about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and a hopeful cry

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Sibyl First Reactions

Guy Lodge: Putting Justine Triet’s SIBYL at the end of the Cannes competition is pretty perfect scheduling, since it’s basically dessert: light, silky, satisfying. I keep being impressed anew by Virginie Efira’s growing range and poise, and Sandra Huller is a hoot.

Alex Billington: A convoluted attempt at mixing a story about a mother, a filmmaking story, and lessons on life from a writer/psychologist who is actually as lost as everyone she treats. Very meh. Hüller as a fraught, bitter film director is the best part about this film.

Nivrae: bof. Very Cannois with sex scenes to shock the old. Overall not intense enough. The actors are good but the film did not catch me at all and seemed terribly long.

Marine Bienvenot: Film-therapy, Sibyl strays a little on the slopes of Stromboli but the journey in the traumas, failures, fears and weaknesses of Virginia Efira is upsetting. That it is sometimes hard to live with oneself

Cedric Succivalli: BONG unseen (but I should see PARASITE tomorrow hopefully) I am torn between Pedro and Justine for my Palme d’Or.

Marine Bordone: Wonderful Sybil. Justine Triet confirms the extent of her talent in the heart of toxic relationships. Her richest film in cinema. Virginie Efira is once again above all

Victor Lepesant: Absolutely fascinated by Sibyl, an unclassifiable Justine Triet film, a Lynchian obsession, a Trufaldian psychological complexity, a Godardian formal audacity (a confusing and visionary montage) and a troupe of actors (Effira in the lead) formidable

Gautier Roos: Good, but despite a lot of beautiful things, Sybil leaves an unfinished taste. The mental puzzle announced is not one: it’s just an accumulation of memories more or less inspired. As like Victoria, sophisticated writing falters over time

Ruben Murillo Rosa: Sybil is a very cheap soap opera that has an actress who does not stop trying the whole movie, and that due to the lack of any protagonists who could muster something. I do not think that the montage and the script help to understand the story better. Expendable

Laura Enjolvy: The film is well executed, Virginie Efira plays really well. But for me he lacks soul. I did not feel anything, I never went back to the movie. Too bad.

Josephine Leroy: Completely caught up in the dramatic whirlwind of Sibyl by Justine Triet, with a just brilliant Virginie Efira a disoriented psychoanalyst. Reminiscent of John Cassavetes’ cinema. Dizzying

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

So, all 21 In Competition films have now screened.

The jury must now decide their winners, but who will they be…?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

O.K., here goes, my guesses/predictions of who will win in each category – I usually get all but one of the films right but most often in the wrong categories! (:

Palme d’Or: PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE

Grand Jury Prize: ATLANTIQUE

Jury Prize: PARASITE

Best Director: MARCO BELLOCHIO for The Traitor

Best Actor: ANTONIO BANDERAS for Pain and Glory

Best Actress: VIRGINIE EFIRA for Sibyl

Best Screenplay: XAVIER DOLAN for Matthias & Maxime

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

O.K., here goes, my guesses/predictions of who will win in each category – I usually get all but one of the films right but most often in the wrong categories! (:

Palme d’Or: PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE

Grand Jury Prize: ATLANTIQUE

Jury Prize: PARASITE

Best Director: MARCO BELLOCHIO for The Traitor

Best Actor: ANTONIO BANDERAS for Pain and Glory

Best Actress: VIRGINIE EFIRA for Sibyl

Best Screenplay: XAVIER DOLAN for Matthias & Maxime

No love for OUTIH 😭😭😭

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

My Predictions:

Palme D’Or: Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    Grand Prix: Pain & Glory
    Actor: Pierfrancesco Favino – The Traitor
    Actress: Virginie Efira – Sybil
    Director: Bong Joon-Ho – Parasite
    Screenplay: It Must Be Heaven
    Jury Prize: Bacurau

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

These are difficult every year, but I’m thinking It Must Be Heaven for the Palme, Portrait of a Lady on Fire for Grand Prix, Parasite for Jury Prize, a tie
    in Director for Atlantique and Bacurau, Banderas for Actor and Valerie Pachner for Actress, and Sibyl for Screenplay. However, the consensus is saying that the Palme is either Almodovar or Sciamma, and that Efira (actress from Sibyl) takes the acting Prize. If Almodovar is our Palme winner, actor goes to Parasite or The Traitor. Dolan and Porumboiu can also win Screenplay. In 2011, Tarantino put Kelly Reichardt’s Meek’s Cutoof in a Worst of the Year list. She’s now on the jury. I have a feeling that could hut OUATIH’s chances, though a shared acting prize for Leo and Brad would be pretty cool (Waltz won there for Inglorious Basterds).

ReplyCopy URL
    Dr.Fabe
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions:

Palme d’Or: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Grand Jury Prize: Pain and Glory

Jury Prize: Bacurau

Best Director: Diao Yinan, The Wild Goose Lake

Best Actor: Kris Hitchens, Sorry We Missed You & Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Actress: Virginie Efira, Sibyl

Best Screenplay: Atlantics & Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

ReplyCopy URL
    Dao Truong Giang
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m thinking Pierfrancesco Favino for Actor and Adele Haenel for Actress (?) but Efira makes sense. Almodovar is likely to win something. But prediction for the rest is impossible.

Best-received movie (from festival-goers) don’t necessarily win Palme, they tend to win FIPRESCI instead, so I’m not expecting Portrait of a Lady on Fire as Palme D’or winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    M Bocioaca
    Participant
    Topics:

Odd choices up to now? The Dardennes had middling reviews for their movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Nguyen
    Participant
    Topics:

Palme d’Or: “Parasite,” Bong Joon-ho

Grand Prix: “Atlantics,” Mati Diop

Director: Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, “Young Ahmed”

Actor: Antonio Banderas, “Pain and Glory”

Actress: Emily Beecham, “Little Joe”

Jury Prize — TIE: “Les Misérables,” Ladj Ly; “Bacurau,” Kleber Mendonça Filho

Screenplay: Céline Sciamma, “Portrait of a Lady on Fire”

ReplyCopy URL
    John Nguyen
    Participant
    Topics:

So I guess parasite and portrait of a lady on fire are the top contenders for foreign film right now until the Venice film festival comes up. I really hope parasite will be the first Korean film nomination at the Oscars and not be snubbed like burning. Also Emily Beecham was the biggest surprise win. Did anybody see her movie was she deserving?

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The first Korean film ever to win the Palme d’Or. Holy shit! Your move, Academy.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The first Korean film ever to win the Palme d’Or. Holy shit! Your move, Academy.

Still baffling how Burning went away EMPTY HANDED, let alone didn’t win the Palme last year (though I do love Shoplifters)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.