Home Forums Movies Cannes Film Festival 2015

Cannes Film Festival 2015

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 379 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
( +25 hidden )
replies
views
users
AMG
TomHardys
manakamana
  • AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Carol by Todd Haynes WILL screen in competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Macbeth by Justine Kurzel, and starring Fassbender & Cotillard also screens In Competition. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The Sea of Trees by Gus Van Sant is to screen In Competition at this year’s festival. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

There are 17 Films Screening In Competition for the Palme D’Or:

Dheepan (temporary title) by Jacques Audiard
    A Simple Man by Stephane Brize
    Marguerite & Julien by Valerie Donzelli 
    The Tale of Tales by Matteo Garrone
    Carol by Todd Haynes
    The Assassin by Hou Hsiao Hsien
    Mountains May Depart by Jia Zhang-Ke
    Our Little Sister by Hirokazu Kore-Eda Hirokazu
    Macbeth by Justin Kurzel
    The Lobster by Yorgos Lanthimos 
    Mon Roi by Maiwenn
    Mia Madre by Nanni Moretti
    Son Of Saul by Laszlo Nemes
    Youth by Paolo Sorrentino
    Louder Than Bombs by Joachim Trier
    The Sea Of Trees by Gus Van Sant
    Sicario by Denis Villeneuve

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Main Headlines from today’s Press Conference:

• Carol by Todd Haynes, starring Cate Blanchett to screen In Competition
    • Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender & Marion Cotillard also screens In Competition
    • Gus Van Sant’s The Sea Of Trees, starring Matthew McConaughey & Naomi Watts also screens In Competition
    • Audiard, Sorrentino & Villeneuve all return with films competing In Competition
    • Louder Than Bombs (Trier), starring Jesse Eisenberg & Isabelle Huppert, and Youth (Sorrentino) starring Michael Caine are screening In Competition
    • Inside Out will close the festival, out of competition
    • Woody Allen’s The Irrational Man also is premiering here, out of competition
    • Natalie Portman’s directorial debut, A Tale Of Love & Darkness, receives a Special Screenings slot
    • Amy, the documentary about Amy Winehouse, by Asif Kapadia (the director of Senna), gets a Midnight Screening slot
    ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I think there’s a few more they haven’t yet announced. Stuff like Weerasethakul, Davies presumably. Maybe Desplechin? I had hoped to see Miguel Gomes’ 1001 Nights here but if it’s ready it’ll probably be in Director’s Fortnight or something since it’s so long. 

I’m so excited to see the reception for some of these. That Hungarian film Son of Saul sounds like it could even be an early Foreign Film frontrunner. Synopsis: In the horror of 1944 Auschwitz, a prisoner forced to burn the corpses of his own people finds moral survival upon trying to salvage from the flames the body of a boy he takes for his son.
    …or does that sound a bit dreary?  

I don’t know why, but I get the sense the Coens might go for some of these Asian directors. Maybe Zhangke for the Palme, Hsio-hsien for Director? Then again, The Lobster…

Blanchett vs. Blunt vs. Cotillard for Actress? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

INSIDE OUT YES! I’m so excited for many of this films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nessie
    Topics:

So only two American directors in competition (Van Sant and Haynes) and NO Brits? Surprising.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

I think there’s a few more they haven’t yet announced. Stuff like Weerasethakul, Davies presumably. Maybe Desplechin? I had hoped to see Miguel Gomes’ 1001 Nights here but if it’s ready it’ll probably be in Director’s Fortnight or something since it’s so long. 

I’m so excited to see the reception for some of these. That Hungarian film Son of Saul sounds like it could even be an early Foreign Film frontrunner. Synopsis: In the horror of 1944 Auschwitz, a prisoner forced to burn the corpses of his own people finds moral survival upon trying to salvage from the flames the body of a boy he takes for his son.

I don’t know why, but I get the sense the Coens might go for some of these Asian directors. Maybe Zhangke for the Palme, Hsio-hsien for Director? Then again, The Lobster…

Miguel Gomes is my neighbor so I had the distinct pleasure to watch 1001 Nights weeks ago. Exhausting but extremely good and careful with the details. The longest film I’ve ever watched.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”ibbster”]

Miguel Gomes is my neighbor so I had the distinct pleasure to watch 1001 Nights weeks ago. Exhausting but extremely good and careful with the details. The longest film I’ve ever watched.[/quote]

I’m insanely jealous. Tabu was my favorite film of 2012.  

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

There are four more films to be revealed. 

Also, while there are only two American directors in competition, there are a couple of European/Asian film makers who have made English language films in competition, such as Sorrentino’s Youth. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Youth looks excellent. I loved loved loved The Great Beauty. Very happy to see Macbeth in the lineup! 

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”tomhardys”][quote=”ibbster”]

Miguel Gomes is my neighbor so I had the distinct pleasure to watch 1001 Nights weeks ago. Exhausting but extremely good and careful with the details. The longest film I’ve ever watched.[/quote]

I’m insanely jealous. Tabu was my favorite film of 2012.  [/quote]

OMG! Really? I visited the set of Tabu a couple of times and it was incredible. I loved Laura Soveral’s performance (the actress who played old Aurora). Carloto Cotta was incredible as well! I applaud your flawless taste. It’s no easy task to digest and appreciate Miguel Gomes’s films but the ones that do are usually very interesting, fascinating folks 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”tomhardys”][quote=”ibbster”]

I’m insanely jealous. Tabu was my favorite film of 2012.  [/quote]

Same here. Tabu is one of the best films of this decade, easily. And I love Gomes. He would probably have me at his door every other day if we were neighbors.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Palme d’Or odds from Neil Young at Jigsawlounge, with an edge to two-time Grand Prix winner Matteo Garrone (but basically, Young says, a crapshoot):

5-1 Garrone – The Tale of Tales

6-1 Audiard – Dheepan (aka Erran)

7-1 Sorrentino – Youth (aka The Early Years)

8-1 Kore-eda – Our Little Sister

8-1 any additional film yet to be announced

9-1 Lanthimos – The Lobster

10-1 Jia – Mountains May Depart

12-1 Haynes – Carol

12-1 Trier – Louder Than Bombs

12-1 Hou – The Assassin

16-1 Maïwenn – My King

20-1 Kurzel – Macbeth

20-1 Nemes – Son of Saul

22-1 Moretti – My Mother

25-1 Brizé – A Simple Man

25-1 Donzelli – Marguerite and Julien

28-1 Van Sant – The Sea of Trees

33-1 Villeneuve – Sicario (aka Hitman) 

I think he should be a little higher on Son of Saul, which the Cannes programmers seemed to be very excited about (the other one they seemed particularly high on was The Lobster).  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 379 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.