Home Forums Movies Cannes Film Festival 2022

Cannes Film Festival 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 321 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
AMG
babypook
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Updated Screen Jury ratings

Armageddon Time = 2.8
    Eo = 2.7
    Triangle of Sadness = 2.5
    Boy From Heaven = 2.3
    Tchaikovsky’s Wife = 2.2
    The Eight Mountains = 2.1
    Brother & Sister = 2.1

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Updated Screen Jury ratings Armageddon Time = 2.8 Eo = 2.7 Triangle of Sadness = 2.5 Boy From Heaven = 2.3 Tchaikovsky’s Wife = 2.2 The Eight Mountains = 2.1 Brother & Sister = 2.1

What are these again? And what is the scale?

I remember Titane having 1.6 last year and then it went on to win the palme lol

Emmy FYC:

Limited Series Lead Actor: Oscar Isaac (Scenes from a Marriage)
    Limited Series Lead Actress: Jessica Chastain (Scenes from a Marriage)

Maid in all categories (Especially Margaret Qualley)
    The Great in all categories (Especially Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and Writing)
    Better Call Saul in all categories
    Severance in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

What are these again? And what is the scale?

I remember Titane having 1.6 last year and then it went on to win the palme lol

The average rating based on the same 11 international publications across all competition films.

Ranking is out of 4. The all time record is 3.8 and was set by Burning.

The publications/critics are:
    Justin Chang (LA Times, US)
    Peter Bradshaw (The Guardian, UK)
    Anton Dolin (Meduza, Malta)
    Robbie Collin/Tim Robey (The Telegraph, UK)
    Wang Muyan (The Paper, China)
    Katja Nicodemus (Die Zeit, Germany)
    Michel Clement (Positif, France)
    Mathieu Macheret (Le Monde, France)
    Stephanie Zacharek (Time, US)
    Natalia Serebriakova (Karydor, Ukraine)
    Screen International

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

The average rating based on the same 11 international publications across all competition films. Ranking is out of 4. The all time record is 3.8 and was set by Burning. The publications/critics are: Justin Chang (LA Times, US) Peter Bradshaw (The Guardian, UK) Anton Dolin (Meduza, Malta) Robbie Collin/Tim Robey (The Telegraph, UK) Wang Muyan (The Paper, China) Katja Nicodemus (Die Zeit, Germany) Michel Clement (Positif, France) Mathieu Macheret (Le Monde, France) Stephanie Zacharek (Time, US) Natalia Serebriakova (Karydor, Ukraine) Screen International

Thank you

Emmy FYC:

The Great in all categories (Especially Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and Writing)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Holy Spider First Reactions

Amy Smith: Within the first five minutes of HOLY SPIDER, my mouth was on the floor. By the end I was shaking and nearly in tears. Ali Abbasi has truly made something special and I hope people pay attention and watch what he has to say.

Monica Delgado: Holy Spider is an example of how a filmmaker who made a couple of interesting genre films ends up overwhelmed by the demands and formulas demanded by the festival market. Ali Abbasi made a thriller that wallows in the abject. Applause for suffocated women in the foreground.

Rafa Sales Ross: A crushing disappointment if you came in looking for the blood-pumping, batshit weirdness of BORDER, Ali Abbasi’s crime thriller HOLY SPIDER blends Fincher and Farhadi in an anticlimactic moral exercise that never banks on the thrilling promise of its first act.

Lisa Ludwig: Completely empty and dead after Holy Spider I don’t know when was the last time a film gave me such a tight feeling in my chest. Clapping feels wrong, but it’s right, because the film deserves it, even if it is terrible in what it shows.

Anaïs Bordages: about a series of femicides in Iran and the man who commits them, is chilling. It’s going to take me a few hours to decide if this is a good thing or not, but my immediate reaction is that I didn’t want to see this.

Gregory Ellwood: Ali Abassi is a a very talented director. More impressed by early thriller elements in Holy Spider than trial stuff in last third

Adam Solomons: grim, grim, grim. Effective, if formulaic. Solid performances all-round. Iranian cinema has a different convention for violence against women, maybe.

Jack Schenker: Wow, came into this expecting a slow drama….i am now incredibly shook. This is a very fucked up film…one tht grabs you by the throat and never lets go. The first half was stronger than the second but man…what a brutal and excellent film

FilmLand Empire: visually stunning, chilling and atmospheric investigation thriller about a real life serial killer in Iran that grows in depth with its politically charged third act. Oh and the score is haunting. Angry and masterful

Rafael Motamayor: HOLY SPIDER is fucking bleak, and reminded me a lot of SE7EN in its first half which is an incredible exercise in tension. The 3rd act is too formulaic in its procedural aspect but the movie still rules. Also, at times I thought this was a better Joker than Joker? Idk

Jason Gorber: part procedural, part political polemic, Ali Abbasi brings Persian precision and Danish sense of mood to this dark, disturbing period of Iranian history. Like BORDER that engaged genre tropes while twisting them this film feels like a long pent-up scream.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Loving all the apparent excellence in Asian actressing in comp this year between Holy Spider’s Ebrahimi, Dolly de Leon in Triangle of Sadness, and the yet to come promise from Tang Wei and Taraneh Alidoosti.

Holy Spider also sounds intriguing. Divisive, and I might even wind up on the hate side, but it’s already come with the kind of exciting reactions and conversation-starter that we used to expect out of Cannes competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Amy Smith: Within the first five minutes of HOLY SPIDER, my mouth was on the floor. By the end I was shaking and nearly in tears. Ali Abbasi has truly made something special and I hope people pay attention and watch what he has to say.

Monica Delgado: Holy Spider is an example of how a filmmaker who made a couple of interesting genre films ends up overwhelmed by the demands and formulas demanded by the festival market. Ali Abbasi made a thriller that wallows in the abject. Applause for suffocated women in the foreground.

Rafa Sales Ross: A crushing disappointment if you came in looking for the blood-pumping, batshit weirdness of BORDER, Ali Abbasi’s crime thriller HOLY SPIDER blends Fincher and Farhadi in an anticlimactic moral exercise that never banks on the thrilling promise of its first act.

Lisa Ludwig: Completely empty and dead after Holy Spider I don’t know when was the last time a film gave me such a tight feeling in my chest. Clapping feels wrong, but it’s right, because the film deserves it, even if it is terrible in what it shows.

Anaïs Bordages: about a series of femicides in Iran and the man who commits them, is chilling. It’s going to take me a few hours to decide if this is a good thing or not, but my immediate reaction is that I didn’t want to see this.

Gregory Ellwood: Ali Abassi is a a very talented director. More impressed by early thriller elements in Holy Spider than trial stuff in last third

Adam Solomons: grim, grim, grim. Effective, if formulaic. Solid performances all-round. Iranian cinema has a different convention for violence against women, maybe.

Jack Schenker: Wow, came into this expecting a slow drama….i am now incredibly shook. This is a very fucked up film…one tht grabs you by the throat and never lets go. The first half was stronger than the second but man…what a brutal and excellent film

FilmLand Empire: visually stunning, chilling and atmospheric investigation thriller about a real life serial killer in Iran that grows in depth with its politically charged third act. Oh and the score is haunting. Angry and masterful

Rafael Motamayor: HOLY SPIDER is fucking bleak, and reminded me a lot of SE7EN in its first half which is an incredible exercise in tension. The 3rd act is too formulaic in its procedural aspect but the movie still rules. Also, at times I thought this was a better Joker than Joker? Idk

Jason Gorber: part procedural, part political polemic, Ali Abbasi brings Persian precision and Danish sense of mood to this dark, disturbing period of Iranian history. Like BORDER that engaged genre tropes while twisting them this film feels like a long pent-up scream.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/women-protest-cannes-holy-spider-smoke-1235274630/#recipient_hashed=c1b76648a3f7a96c346ccc6cb0d57ca09e4daec4e61aaf2327a37111ef79a731

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Holy Spider First Reactions Amy Smith: Within the first five minutes of HOLY SPIDER, my mouth was on the floor. By the end I was shaking and nearly in tears. Ali Abbasi has truly made something special and I hope people pay attention and watch what he has to say. Monica Delgado: Holy Spider is an example of how a filmmaker who made a couple of interesting genre films ends up overwhelmed by the demands and formulas demanded by the festival market. Ali Abbasi made a thriller that wallows in the abject. Applause for suffocated women in the foreground. Rafa Sales Ross: A crushing disappointment if you came in looking for the blood-pumping, batshit weirdness of BORDER, Ali Abbasi’s crime thriller HOLY SPIDER blends Fincher and Farhadi in an anticlimactic moral exercise that never banks on the thrilling promise of its first act. Lisa Ludwig: Completely empty and dead after Holy Spider I don’t know when was the last time a film gave me such a tight feeling in my chest. Clapping feels wrong, but it’s right, because the film deserves it, even if it is terrible in what it shows. Anaïs Bordages: about a series of femicides in Iran and the man who commits them, is chilling. It’s going to take me a few hours to decide if this is a good thing or not, but my immediate reaction is that I didn’t want to see this. Gregory Ellwood: Ali Abassi is a a very talented director. More impressed by early thriller elements in Holy Spider than trial stuff in last third Adam Solomons: grim, grim, grim. Effective, if formulaic. Solid performances all-round. Iranian cinema has a different convention for violence against women, maybe. Jack Schenker: Wow, came into this expecting a slow drama….i am now incredibly shook. This is a very fucked up film…one tht grabs you by the throat and never lets go. The first half was stronger than the second but man…what a brutal and excellent film FilmLand Empire: visually stunning, chilling and atmospheric investigation thriller about a real life serial killer in Iran that grows in depth with its politically charged third act. Oh and the score is haunting. Angry and masterful Rafael Motamayor: HOLY SPIDER is fucking bleak, and reminded me a lot of SE7EN in its first half which is an incredible exercise in tension. The 3rd act is too formulaic in its procedural aspect but the movie still rules. Also, at times I thought this was a better Joker than Joker? Idk Jason Gorber: part procedural, part political polemic, Ali Abbasi brings Persian precision and Danish sense of mood to this dark, disturbing period of Iranian history. Like BORDER that engaged genre tropes while twisting them this film feels like a long pent-up scream.

Oh, excited to see this now honestly. Sounds like something that could win the Palme

Emmy FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Forever Young First Reactions

Matteu Maestracci: Very beautiful Les Amandiers by Valéria Bruni-Tedeschi, the young actors are admirable, Louis Garrel impeccable as usual in Chéreau, who is not spared. Beautiful declaration of love to youth, to the magic and cruelty of theatre.

FilmLand Empire: LES AMANDIERS about Patrice Chéreau’s theatre troupe around the end of the ‘80s is hysterical and insufferable

Gregory Ellwood: The first 20 min of Les Amandiers is funny, sexy and captivating. After that it’s a melodramatic love story that’s hard to care about.

Pierre X Garnier: Overwhelmed by Les Amandiers by Valeria Bruni Tedeschi retracing the history of the famous 1987 class of Amandiers. A real success and tribute to Patrice Chereau…she filmed the youth so accurately, it’s quite brilliant. All the actors are terrific.

Alexandre Janowiak: With the exception of Nadia Tereszkiewicz, whose performance could earn her a rather well-deserved prize, Les Amandiers is an unbearable ordeal. A viewing test where everything rings false and where a hysterical gallery delights in its unbearable inter-self.

Julien Lada: Les Amandiers is a great barnum, sometimes vain and navel-gazing, excessive and garish, but also sometimes full of life and joy. The film is never better than when it is interested in the dynamics of the troop and the game, less when it wanders elsewhere

Florent Boutet: Funny feeling after the Amandiers. As if the puzzle were dull and incomplete. Nice shards but something negative on the periphery which is very depressing.

Arthur Brondy: Les Almandiers by Valéria Bruni Tedeschi is absolutely magnificent. Nadia Tereszkiewicz is fantastic and bursts the screen. Long ovation at the Lumière theater tonight.

Lovia Gyarkye: A sweet but sometimes frustrating mix of fresh and familiar. It’s when Forever Young moves beyond the familiar melodrama of youthful love that it begins to tap into more authentic territory: the demands of a still-misunderstood craft and the blurred line between life and performance.

Todd McCarthy: Although it’s cut to the absolute bone, the film still overstays its welcome, as there’s just so much one can take of the characters’ self-dramatizing self-regard.

Peter Bradshaw: Endless drama, perpetual pouting and nonstop narcissism in this epically tiresome movie. It’s an endlessly tedious story of self-involved drama students

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Way of The Wind
    Topics:

Holy Spider sounds interesting! They had me with the mention of «Se7en»

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: The Way of The Wind
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: TAR
    Best Actor: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actress: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actor: Poor Things

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Is there is something loved the one movie like parasite from Cannes ? All movies seem to have divisive reactions even decision to leave

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Lots of good notices from pundits at Cannes for Dolly De Leon in Triangle of Sadness; wondering if she could translate those raves into a Best Actress win this weekend.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Notes coming in on Decision to Leave today. Sounds like it’s up to standard. Pleasantly surprised people are saying it’s romantic?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Decision To Leave First Reactions

Amy Smith: It’s hard not to walk away from DECISION TO LEAVE being in awe of Park Chan-wook’s direction and where the narrative went. Gorgeous cinematography helps capture this mysterious yet passion-fueled story in a way that just clicks naturally. We have a good one here.

David Ehrlich: leave it to Park Chan-wook to turn a routine detective procedural into the most wildly romantic movie of the year. less operatic than his usual stuff, but still thrillingly intricate in its way (and so much fun)

The Oscar Expert: Decision to Leave is a dense, absorbing, beautifully stylized mystery. I’m still unpacking it and think I’ll need a second viewing to fully digest it. Which I look forward to because it’s very good.

Karl Delossantos: DECISION TO LEAVE is Park Chan-wook at the top of his game. It begins as a fiercely paced fun detective romp that turns into a well-wrought romance about two characters finding liberation with each other. Tang Wei gives the performance of lifetime. I’m stunned.

David Rooney: Park Chan-wook’s masterful DECISION TO LEAVE, a heady romance steeped in noirish mystery, is one of midpoint standouts of the Cannes 2022 competition.

Rafael Motamayor: Park Chan-wook directs the hell ohof DECISION TO LEAVE, a detective thriller that pivots to a compelling romance, even if it’s convoluted plot quickly becomes distracting. The editing is spectacular.

Robbie Collin: Decision to Leave!!! Hypnotically complex double murder-mystery with many cheeky Vertigo winks. Park makes you juggle *so much* info with no clue as to when it’s going to pay off, but he’s also having so much fun here! Amazing flourishes, A+ Tang Wei, screamingly fab final scene

Andy Hazel: Decision to Leave is so beautiful and complex. I need to watch it again straight away. Feels like it could be Park Chan Wook’s best film.

Luke Hearfield: Park Chan-Wook’s riveting neo-noir puzzler ‘Decision to Leave’ has some of the best direction and editing I’ve seen in years. I was enchanted by the silky camerawork, gorgeous transitions & delicate cinematography. Tang Wei delivers a knockout performance. Just Wow.

Damian Pietrzak: Park Chan-Wook’s Decision to Leave is my favourite film at this years Cannes so far. Enchanting and mysterious detective-romance that more restrained than some of his works which is great Visually just splendid too. First 9/10.

Jason Gorber: Park Chan-Wook merges a romance within a police thriller, twisting narratives together to produce something more ambitious than it is successful. While it doesn’t quite come together, the flourishes of a master’s touch do rear with regularity

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Updated Screen Jury ratings

Armageddon Time = 2.8
    Eo = 2.7
    RMN = 2.5
    Triangle of Sadness = 2.5
    Boy From Heaven = 2.3
    Tchaikovsky’s Wife = 2.2
    The Eight Mountains = 2.1
    Brother & Sister = 2.1

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 321 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.