Home Forums Movies Cannes Film Festival 2022

Cannes Film Festival 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 321 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
AMG
babypook
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Cronenberg is not winning anything. What’s with the confidence? Even people who like his work and aren’t weirded out by his offering, had a lukewarm response to the film.

The reception for Crimes of the Future, while not amazing, was mostly positive. Cronenberg can perfectly win Director. We have seen far less acclaimed movies winning awards at Cannes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Cronenberg is not winning anything. What’s with the confidence? Even people who like his work and aren’t weirded out by his offering, had a lukewarm response to the film.

Calm down, it was just a question lol but I don’t think it’s impossible for the jury gives something to the movie and the only place I see is Best Director but Park seems most likely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Broker is at the bottom on the Screen Jury ratings with a 1.9 (same score as Stars at Noon). Did not see that coming…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Broker is dead last on the Screen Jury ratings with a 1.9 (same score as Stars at Noon). Did not see that coming…

Neon rn is facing the prospect of as rough an awards season as two years ago when its best shot was busted bait Ammonite. The place is getting outplayed by closest rival A24, which has mitigated the disappointment around Stars at Noon with speedy pickups of Aftersun and Close.

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Didn’t expect Broker with 1.9 here

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Broker is dead last on the Screen Jury ratings with a 1.9 (same score as Stars at Noon). Did not see that coming…

I didn’t see your comment, sorry, but yes, I was thinking in something like 2.5 but it’s too low.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

🕯 praying for Michelle Williams to be as good as usual and to get the trophy 🕯

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

So nervous for Showing Up reviews, especially after the disappointment of Stars at Noon.

Emmy FYC:

Chloë Sevigny in “The Girl From Plainville” and “Russian Doll”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

So nervous for Showing Up reviews, especially after the disappointment of Stars at Noon.

Same. Really hope it gets very good reviews and Michelle gets stellar notices.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

Shall we start a club for Michelle Williams stans? Lol haven’t really seen that one here

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

So nervous for Showing Up reviews, especially after the disappointment of Stars at Noon.

As soon as I read the plot I thought on Colonia, that awful movie starring Emma Watson, and I knew that MQ’s chances at winning were gone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

She keeps winning and we love to see it! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

Del Toro raving about Elvis is disturbing. Wonder how much $$ he got from that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Showing Up First Reactions

Isaac Feldberg: Kelly Reichardt sets Michelle Williams down in Portland’s art scene, lingering there to capture a community’s daily chaos as not simply a distraction from art but a font of creativity itself. Gentle, good-humored, absurdly great actors in every frame. I loved!

FilmLand Empire: Kelly Reichardt here at her most seemingly mundane yet most richly evocative perfectly captures the daily life of an artist and her simmering frustrations. Quietly affecting with an outstanding Michelle Williams. Film of the fest/year!

Tim Grierson: If I was on the Cannes competition jury, my vote for the Palme d’Or would go to Kelly Reichardt’s terrific new film.

David Jenkins: Kelly Reichardt’s Showing Up is Ordet in a liberal arts college. Michelle Williams stunning as after-hours sculptor with a naughty cat. An ambient “portrait of an artist” movie like no other, and surely as close to KR autobiog as we’ve had thus far. Funny too.

David Ehrlich: Michelle Williams is a stressed Portland artist who finds herself caring for a wounded pigeon in a Kelly Reichardt comedy so feather-light it makes Wendy & Lucy seem like a David Lean epic, but it all rings sharp & true.

Martyn Conterio: Kelly Reichardt’s Showing Up is a wee gem about class, money, creativity and rivalry. Hong Chau is ace as a flakey landlord and artist.

Jordan Farley: Kelly Reichardt’s lovely, low-key portrait of a sculptor preparing for an art show while nursing a pigeon. Great on the frustration of creation and professional jealousy, but a relatively slight Reichardt/Williams reunion.

Juan Barquin: Reichardt sculpts a lovely portrait of a woman living too close to the fire, so close to burning out. Life, family, work, art, landlords, friends, rivals, nature, and time (or lack thereof) all constantly draining us, but we keep existing for minor moments of beauty.

Catherine Bray: Had a really lovely time with the new Kelly Reichardt film Showing Up – the deceptively muscular but low-key work from all involved makes deft insights into the way that success intersects with our sense of self feel soft and sweet and effortless.

Christer Emanuelsson: Kelly Reichardt’s Showing Up is a different animal. After all the emotionally overwrought films that polluted the competition, it’s a relief to enjo a work that Dhont try to wring out sentimentality from every scene. Funny, humanistic, and made with a rare precision.

Jason Gorber: I was swayed by SHOWING UP, a very well realized film that kind of floats along. Broken people making broken art and trying to wrap it up so that it will fly. In other hands it would be appalling, but Reichardt/Williams infuse the socks/sandals aesthetic with style

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 321 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.