Home Forums Movies Cannes Film Festival 2022

Cannes Film Festival 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 321 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
AMG
babypook
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Mother & Son First Reactions

Guy Lodge: I was greatly moved by Leonor Serraille’s quiet, lovely MOTHER AND SON, the last film to screen in this year’s Cannes competition. Expands the palette and worldview of her Camera d’Or-winning debut JEUNE FEMME; keeps her grace and wit.

Caspar Salmon: Léonor Serraille’s UN PETIT FRÈRE is getting a heck of a reception after its screening, and deservedly so – it’s a really tender family epic, beautifully shot, with real detail in its observation of this Black family in Paris and Rouen. Gorgeous.

Francesc Vilallonga: The last film seen in Cannes this year is a chronicle of immigration seen through the eyes of a mother and two children. It clearly goes from less to more and points out interesting elements. However, it may not have been a movie to enter the official section.

Julien Lada: Not really convinced, unfortunately, by Léonor Serraille’s LITTLE BROTHER, a three-part portrait of a family that integrates and falls apart. The dispersion of focus misleads the overall view and the film gradually dries up after a promising first act

Stephanie Bunbury: A little too often, Mother and Son reads that way, as a dossier of the immigrant experience. That experience is admirably well observed and largely absorbing but it’s a little too much in a small space.

Robbie Collin: Right at the end, the Cannes comp lobs in another beaut: Léonor Serraille’s Mother and Son, a sparkling family immigrant drama that skews more Steve McQueen than Dardenne, which is more than fine by me.

Damien Leblanc: Léonor Serraille concludes the competition of Cannes 2022 in style. Recounting the integration of a single-parent family in France at the end of the 20th century through three points of view, the film deploys a poignant narrative breadth and a superb cast.

Euan Cook: An incredibly profound glance into the lives of Côte d’Ivoire migrants living in Paris. The film’s beating heart stems from the POVs of a fractured, tenable relationship between a mother and her two sons – I cried…

Fabien Lemercier: Léonor Serraille raises her game with a highly refined second feature following fifteen years in the tumultuous life of a family trio. The film proves the subtle yet mind-blowing skill of Léonor Serraille.

Juliette Reitzer: Overwhelmed by the romantic and tragic scale of Mother and Son by Léonor Serraille, what a finale! If it’s not on the list, I give my apron back.

Santiago Varela Antúnez: Mother & Son by Léonor Serraille recounts the evolution of a family from the Ivory Coast upon their arrival in Paris. We watch as the years go by with a changing point of view that divides the film into three parts. Interesting, but not enough for the Official Section.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Un Certain Regard winners

Top Prize: The Worst Ones (Lise Akoka & Romane Gueret)

Jury Prize: Joyland (Saim Sadiq)

Best Director: Alexandru Belc for Metronom

Acting: Vicky Krieps for Corsage AND Adam Bessa for Harka

Screenplay: Mediterranean Fever

Coup de Coeur Prize: Rodeo

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

When will the in competition awards be announced this weekend?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bartleby
    Topics:

20:30 (8:30 PM) GMT+2, Saturday, is when the awards ceremony starts. Unless this year’s jury president don’t tell us right away who the winner is, you should add several minutes to that time hehe

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

So what are y’all’s predictions at this point for the Palme, Best Director, Actress, Actor, Jury Prize, etc.?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

So what are y’all’s predictions at this point for the Palme, Best Director, Actress, Actor, Jury Prize, etc.?

Palme d’Or: Close – Lukas Dhont
    Grand Prix: EO – Jerzy Skolimowski
    Jury Prize: Crimes of the Future – David Cronenberg
    Best Director: Cristian Mungiu – R.M.N.
    Best Screenplay: Holy Spider – Ali Abbasi and Afshin Kamran Bahram & Decision to Leave – Park Chan-wook (TIE)
    Best Actor: Song Kang-ho – Broker
    Best Actress: Mbundu Joely – Tori and Lokita

(Probably will get all of these wrong)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Predictions

Palme d’Or: Close
    Grand Prix: Triangle of Sadness
    Jury Prize: Armageddon Time
    Director: Park Chan Wook – Decision To Leave
    Actress: Lee Ji-eun – Broker
    Actor: Pierfrancesco Favino – Nostalgia
    Screenplay: Holy Spider

Keep an eye out for Tchaikovsky’s Wife in Actress though…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Predictions

Palme d’Or: “Close” – Lukas Dhont
    Grand Prix: “RMN” – Cristian Mungiu and “Eo” – Jerzy Skolimowski (tie)
    Jury Prize: “Holy Spider” – Ali Abbasi
    Best Director: “Decision to Leave” – Park Chan-Wook
    Best Screenplay: “Tori and Lokita” – Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne
    Best Actor: Pierfrancesco Favino (“Nostalgia”)
    Best Actress: Lee Ji-Eun (“Broker”)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Based on the rumour mill expect to see FIVE of:

Boy From Heaven
    Brother and Sister
    Triangle of Sadness
    Decision To Leave
    Leila’s Brothers
    Broker

And ONE of either EO or Pacification

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Based on the rumour mill expect to see FIVE of: Boy From Heaven Brother and Sister Triangle of Sadness Decision To Leave Leila’s Brothers Broker And ONE of either EO or Pacification

Marion Cotillard for Best Actress?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

According to Cedric Succivalli NINE films will be honoured later (there are seven categories)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

According to Cedric Succivalli NINE films will be honoured later (there are seven categories)

We are definitely having ties. It was lowkey obvious considering the mess of this years competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I am okay with ties at Cannes because they result in a larger number of films getting highlighted, unless the ties cause the awards to lose some of their prestige.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

From Kyle Buchanan:

Cannes gossip: It’ll be a Belgian Palme d’Or, as rumors fly that CLOSE and TORI AND LOKITA are jury faves (and may even share the award). Other films that got the call to come back: DECISION TO LEAVE, BROKER, TRIANGLE OF SADNESS, ARMAGEDDON TIME, EO, 8 MOUNTAINS, BOY FROM HEAVEN

STARS AT NOON also possibly asked to return as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 321 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.