January 14, 2020 at 12:54 am #1203283253
I always love it when that one actor you see in movies in small supporting roles comes out as an Oscar nominee/winner in certain movies. It shows not to underestimate these people. Actors such as Richard Jenkins, J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney have proved that. What other character actors would you hope gets nominated?
I hope Danny Trejo is next in line. He plays a lot of badass characters in movies and TV shows. Maybe one day someone will cast him in a role that will get him attention from the Academy.January 14, 2020 at 1:41 am #1203283274
Clifton Collins Jr.
Paul Walter Hauser
I just love movies. And awards.January 14, 2020 at 4:31 am #1203283392
Judy GreerJanuary 14, 2020 at 6:06 am #1203283492
Caleb Landry Jones.January 14, 2020 at 12:04 pm #1203284220
She (deservedly imo) got in the conversation for Descendants for a pretty small role, hopefully she get’s something bigger that gets her back in the mix!January 14, 2020 at 4:25 pm #1203284713
A lot of buzz now with The Crown and the fact that its one of its casting directors, Nina Gold, has worked on Star Wars and Game of Thrones too. I could see a lot of its actors getting the Olivia Colman route in film. Claire Foy almost got an Oscar last year. Vanessa Kirby has benefitted from being the show’s rising star last two seasons, and now she’s getting major movie offers.
In this case, I’d see a good path for these actors in the Oscar run. Hopefully they do more films. (I’ve excluded Olivia, Helena Bonham Carter, and John Lithgow who have been nominated for an Oscar already)
Cast from the first two seasons:
Jared Harris (George VI)
- Award records: Emmy nominations, SAG wins from Mad Men, recent Golden Globe nom for Chernobyl
Victoria Hamilton (Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother)
- Award records: Tony and Olivier noms
Eileen Atkins (Queen Mary)
- Award records: several Emmy and Tony, and BAFTA TV
Alex Jennings (Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor)
- Award records: multiple Olivier wins and a recent BAFTA TV nomination (Unforgotten)
Cast from the third and upcoming fourth season (the new season is also nominated for SAG Ensemble):
Tobias Menzies (Prince Philip)
- Award records: Golden Globe noms from Outlander and The Crown
Charles Dance (Lord Mountbatten)
- Award records: several Emmy noms (but none from Game of Thrones), SAG ensemble noms
Ben Daniels (Tony Armstrong-Jones/Lord Snowdon)
- Award records: Tony and Grammy nom (the latter from NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert), Olivier win
Jason Watkins (Harold Wilson)
- Award records: BAFTA TV win (for a Peter Morgan production, The Lost Honour of Christopher Jeffries) and Olivier nom
Derek Jacobi (Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor) – all these years, he still has no Oscar nom???
- Award records: several Tony and Olivier wins, Emmy and BAFTA (film and TV) noms, some SAG ensemble wins
Gillian Anderson (Margaret Thatcher)
- Award records: Emmy, Golden Globe, SAG wins for The X-Files, Olivier and BAFTA TV noms for several of her projects in the UK
Rising stars who could be potential Oscar nominees or blockbuster stars:
Josh O’Connor (Prince Charles) – he got critical acclaim for God’s Own Country in 2017 and sure he’d get better offers once he’s done with The Crown
Matthew Goode (Tony Armstrong-Jones, S2) – he’s had buzz since Downton Abbey and he’s been in some Oscar-nominated films too (The Imitation Game recently). Perhaps if he’s done with his series, A Discovery of Witches, then Matthew will do more films
Erin Doherty (Princess Anne) – she’s benefitting a lot from being the next Vanessa Kirby of the new cast, and we shall see if her career takes off after season 4 ends
Matt Smith (Prince Philip, S1-2) – I’m not always a Matt fan (I don’t know really, maybe I’m annoyed by his presence lmao), but he’s done some films too and now he’s in Marvel. More of an A-list track I say.
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Ben Daniels, The CrownJanuary 14, 2020 at 5:25 pm #1203284784
I just know Wendell Pierce is getting that Supporting Actor Oscar once he finds the right role.January 14, 2020 at 7:24 pm #1203284914
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.