Home Forums Movies Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
SHT L
Elliot Kronsb..
Trevor Jann
  • hughlately
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on the novel by Kevin Kwan, Crazy Rich Asians centers on New York City Chinese American economics professor Rachel Chu, who accompanies her boyfriend to Singapore for his best friend’s wedding, only to become thrust into the lives of Asia’s rich and famous. She discovers that her boyfriend comes from a very wealthy family with a dark past, and that every woman wants him.

Release Date: August 15, 2018

Cast:

Constance Wu as Rachel Wu

Henry Golding as Nick Young

Michelle Yeoh as Eleanor Young

Gemma Chan as Astrig Leong-Teo

Awkwafina as Peik Lin Goh

Lisa Lu as Su Yi

Chris Pang as Colin Khoo

Sonoya Mizuno as Araminta Lee

SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m surprised this thread did not already exist.

ReplyCopy URL
    Trevor Jann
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on early reviews, maybe Wu (and maybe Yeoh for the combined supporting) can score a Golden Globe nom in the comedy film category? It’ll make me feel better that Wu has never been nominated for an Emmy

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Can we get a campaign started to get Michelle Yeoh an overdue nomination? Did she review any notices?

ReplyCopy URL
    hughlately
    Participant
    Topics:

Currently: RT has this at 100%; Metacritic: 77%

I got to see a preview of this last night. Definitely worth a watch; audience loved it and I could see Wu score a Golden Globe nom. She’s the heart of this movie – equal parts funny and grounded.

ReplyCopy URL
    Trevor Jann
    Participant
    Topics:

Can we get a campaign started to get Michelle Yeoh an overdue nomination? Did she review any notices?

Yes please! She was robbed for CTHD. As for review notices, she has! They range from brilliant to fantastically grounded.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

My partner wants to see this. He read the books and raves about it but I refuse to see anything with Constance Wu and having seen the trailer a couple of weeks ago it looks like generic romantic/comedy junk.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

My partner wants to see this. He read the books and raves about it but I refuse to see anything with Constance Wu and having seen the trailer a couple of weeks ago it looks like generic romantic/comedy junk.

The movie is a commercial play with a primarily Asian cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

A big purpose of this movie is to show casting Asian actors in lead parts in the usual Hollywood fare can make money…and to dispel the fear that casting two Asians of the same gender in the same movie would be too confusing for American audiences who think we all look alike. That said, I really loved the first book and think a really excellent film could have been made out of it. I have a feeling the movie adaptation went safe and focused more on the rom-com aspects (probably smart because you have to really focus the book to make it a coherent film), but that’s what this probably needs right now to sell. The reviews are very solid, and hopefully a great box office will follow.

ReplyCopy URL
    Trevor Jann
    Participant
    Topics:

May I ask why the disdain for Constance Wu?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think some people don’t like Wu because they are opponents of equality.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This was fun. It knew what it was and went with it. Oscar worthy? No. I’d like to see some Globe nominations though. This also seems like a BAFTA screenplay nominee, even though they aren’t as independent as they’re used to be. I didn’t love Wu’s performance at first but she had me by the end of the film. I was going Yeoh would have enough material to justify an Oscar nomination but unfortunately she did not. My MVP was Gemma Chan who is previously not heard of. I was disappointed she didn’t get more to do. Overall, I came out of the theatre grinning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Chan has my favorite character in the book

ReplyCopy URL
    k
    Participant
    Topics:

My MVP was Gemma Chan who is previously not heard of. I was disappointed she didn’t get more to do.

You should probably watch BBC’s Humans, she’s so good on that show

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

This was fun. It knew what it was and went with it. Oscar worthy? No. I’d like to see some Globe nominations though. This also seems like a BAFTA screenplay nominee, even though they aren’t as independent as they’re used to be. I didn’t love Wu’s performance at first but she had me by the end of the film. I was going Yeoh would have enough material to justify an Oscar nomination but unfortunately she did not. My MVP was Gemma Chan who is previously not heard of. I was disappointed she didn’t get more to do. Overall, I came out of the theatre grinning.

Definitely deserves way more recognition! She’s in Mary, Queen of Scots and Captain Marvel, she’s getting more exposure finally!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.