Home Forums Movies Critics Choice 2021 Film Awards Reactions (Part 2)

Critics Choice 2021 Film Awards Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
OccultCherry
MultipleOscar..
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Post-CC reactions:

— Acting frontrunners are Mulligan, Boseman and Kaluuya. Boseman and Kaluuya are locked, as we knew anyway I think. Mulligan needs to win SAG to be locked – I’m glad they didn’t pull a tie here, too.

— There’s no frontrunners and not even any locked nominees in Supporting Actress, which makes it the most interesting race right now. If Bakalova wins SAG, she’s the frontrunner, but I still wouldn’t rule out anyone at the Oscars. Youn losing here hurt her, but I’m waiting for SAG to declare she doesn’t have the passion/ recognition to win.

— Nomadland is very strong. Maybe too strong. I’d say it’s vulnerable to backlash, but at the minute nothing is suggesting anything is going to beat it. Minari isn’t winning enough, nor is Chicago – both really need to win SAG, and Chicago needs SAG and WGA to pose a challenge. Zhao is sweeping, and I think it’s the Adapted and Cinematography frontrunner – I’m not quite sure how that can be beaten right now; only backlash and an Adapted win for Miami could do it I think.

— PYW did well. The Original Screenplay win could be massive, either for it or Nomadland in Picture. I think the CC was least likely to fawn over Chicago 7 with wins, but even still this is a sign it’s vulnerable in its primary category. The Ensemble win was good for its SAG prospects though, I thought Minari would take it here.

— I don’t think Alan Kim deserved the award he won (sorry, Alan – I do feel bad saying it), but he’s so adorable – and, crucially, so visible – that he could actually get into Supporting Actor if Raci, Leto and Boseman don’t have that much support – and, by the looks of it, they don’t really. Could be that shock nom we’re looking for, although obviously it’s unlikely.

— Tech locks: Mank in Production Design and Soul in Score, and probably Chicago in Editing, Ma Rainey in Costumes and Make-up/ Hair and Miami in Song. I think Tenet is strongest for Visual Effects, but I’m keeping an eye out for a Welcome to Chechnya surge which really has the narrative there. Sound of Metal is interesting in Editing, if it can get in there I like it’s odds in Picture (and, by extension Screenplay and Supporting).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, may have already been mentioned, but I love how they put out that whole statement before hand only to have a whiter set of winners than the Golden Globes

Hilarious how apart from on the comedy side they essentially copy and pasted the Globe’s TV winners lmao.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Just want to say that I loved the Ted Lasso sweep. Never got the Schitt’s Creek hype.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Just want to say that I loved the Ted Lasso sweep.  

Ted Lasso is so funny my god. Although maybe because I’m British I’m slightly biased in saying that lol.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Ted Lasso is so funny my god. Although maybe because I’m British I’m slightly biased in saying that lol.

I’m not really into football, which is quite ironic as a Brazilian lol, but I loved the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Ted Lasso is so funny my god. Although maybe because I’m British I’m slightly biased in saying that lol.

Probably the most surprising show I’ve ever seen, quality-wise. After the trailer, the football fan and general viewer in me baulked at the thought of it but it was great to be proven wrong. Also surprising content wise I guess, it was way warmer and deep than I was expecting, but still laugh out loud funny. One of my favourite shows of last year, really glad to see it’s doing well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not really into football, which is quite ironic as a Brazilian lol, but I loved the show.

Lol I feel the same. I’m a Brit who isn’t interested in football whatsoever (you can understand how much trouble I had when I grew up haha) but I absolutely loved the show. It was so heartwarming and came at the right time for me when I was going through a shitty period in my life haha.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

you can understand how much trouble I had when I grew up haha

Yeah, I definitely can. People here breath football lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Even though Chicago 7 won Best Ensemble here I still can’t really buy it as a frontrunner in that regard, my reservations on the film aside. I’m honestly surprised the CCA picked the whitest, all-male ensemble out of those choices (especially with all their previous statements about diversity). Surely SAG isn’t going to go that route?

FYC:

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Even though Chicago 7 won Best Ensemble here I still can’t really buy it as a frontrunner in that regard, my reservations on the film aside. I’m honestly surprised the CCA picked the whitest, all-male ensemble out of those choices (especially with all their previous statements about diversity). Surely SAG isn’t going to go that route?

That (and Chadwick Boseman) is exactly why I think Ma Rainey is winning.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.