Home Forums Movies Critics’ Choice Film Awards Nominations 2019

Critics’ Choice Film Awards Nominations 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 915 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +22 hidden )
replies
views
users
O´Hara
PJ Edwards
Freddy Almonte
  • Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

BFCA ratings (Best Picture nominees in boldface):
    96 | The Rider
    94 | Burning, Green Book
    93 | Into the Spider-Verse
    92 | A Star is Born
    90 | BlacKkKlansman, Capernaum, Roma
    89 | Isle of Dogs, Shoplifters
    88 | Black Panther, Eighth Grade, First Man, Incredibles 2
    87 | Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Paddington 2, A Quiet Place
    86 | The Favourite, Mission: Impossible – Fallout
    85 | First Reformed, Infinity War, Widows
    84 | Mary Poppins Returns
    83 | Crazy Rich Asians, If Beale Street Could Talk
    81 | Vice
    75 | Bohemian Rhapsody

These are the average ratings that Critics’ Choice voters logged throughout the year as they attended screenings. This is a reminder that the BFCA is not synonymous with Metacritic. Also, as you can see, when it came time to vote at the end of the year for their favourites, they were heavily influenced by what had Oscar buzz. For example, they loved several high-profile foreign-language films, but the only one that they nominated for Best Picture is the one that is in the Oscar race for Best Picture, even though that was not even their favourite. They also obviously ignored The Rider and Into the Spider-Verse, despite rating them as near-perfect films.

The only benefit of the doubt that we can give them is that there is a difference between plurality votes and consensus. For example, Vice is a polarizing film. It is conceivable that its Best Picture nomination is not just the result of the BFCA trying to predict the Oscars, but the result of some members really loving the film, which is masked in its BFCA rating by the negative ratings that it received from some other members.

These ratings suggest that Green Book was actually on the path to a Best Picture win here, although that has surely been derailed by the controversies. The love for the film was also suggested by its nominations in Director and Score. Still, we might see it manifest somewhere like supporting actor. And I doubt that The Favourite wins Best Picture with the rating that it has. I will bet on A Star is Born. It kind of seems like they were guilted into putting If Beale Street Could Talk into Best Picture; I will switch my Score prediction to First Man, which got a lot of nominations anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

This should be where “Roma” makes a case for itself in BP. It was the runaway critical juggernaut of the year, and it is the “critics choice” after all. Since I don’t see voters wanting to mimic the Globes like they did last year, it could happen for a historic win. It would be one of the few times that this award could lead to something bigger as opposed to solely predicting the Oscars. I know that’s their only mission in life, but still.

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

People who think Hawke could win CC are cute. Tell that to Chalamet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dana S.
    Participant
    Topics:

People who think Hawke could win CC are cute. Tell that to Chalamet.

I think it’s because Hawke has so much more critics’ circle awards wins before CC than Chalamet had. But yeah I don’t think Hawke is winning CC.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Which network is broadcasting the Critics Circle awards?

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I fully expect Glenn Close to take it. Those guys want to be the most accurate golden dildo predictors. They will award Olivia Colman in comedy actress to cover their bases. Just in case to claim later if she wins golden dildo ‘but we gave her comedy actress!’ They’re so transparent. 😂

My thoughts exactly.

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I fully expect Glenn Close to take it. Those guys want to be the most accurate golden dildo predictors. They will award Olivia Colman in comedy actress to cover their bases. Just in case to claim later if she wins golden dildo ‘but we gave her comedy actress!’ They’re so transparent.

Are you on twitter?

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Which network is broadcasting the Critics Circle awards?

The CW.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

BFCA ratings (Best Picture nominees in boldface): 96 | The Rider 94 | Burning, Green Book 93 | Into the Spider-Verse 92 | A Star is Born 90 | BlacKkKlansman, Capernaum, Roma 89 | Isle of Dogs, Shoplifters 88 | Black Panther, Eighth Grade, First Man, Incredibles 2 87 | Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Paddington 2, A Quiet Place 86 | The Favourite, Mission: Impossible – Fallout 85 | First Reformed, Infinity War, Widows 84 | Mary Poppins Returns 83 | Crazy Rich Asians, If Beale Street Could Talk 81 | Vice 75 | Bohemian Rhapsody These are the average ratings that Critics’ Choice voters logged throughout the year as they attended screenings. This is a reminder that the BFCA is not synonymous with Metacritic. Also, as you can see, when it came time to vote at the end of the year for their favourites, they were heavily influenced by what had Oscar buzz. For example, they loved several high-profile foreign-language films, but the only one that they nominated for Best Picture is the one that is in the Oscar race for Best Picture, even though that was not even their favourite. They also obviously ignored The Rider and Into the Spider-Verse, despite rating them as near-perfect films. The only benefit of the doubt that we can give them is that there is a difference between plurality votes and consensus. For example, Vice is a polarizing film. It is conceivable that its Best Picture nomination is not just the result of the BFCA trying to predict the Oscars, but the result of some members really loving the film, which is masked in its BFCA rating by the negative ratings that it received from some other members. These ratings suggest that Green Book was actually on the path to a Best Picture win here, although that has surely been derailed by the controversies. The love for the film was also suggested by its nominations in Director and Score. Still, we might see it manifest somewhere like supporting actor. And I doubt that The Favourite wins Best Picture with the rating that it has. I will bet on A Star is Born. It kind of seems like they were guilted into putting If Beale Street Could Talk into Best Picture; I will switch my Score prediction to First Man, which got a lot of nominations anyway.

That’s very interesting. Where did you get this information from?

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you all are overstimating the word critics on this awards.Even they called themselves the “best oscars predictors”.Glenn Close is a sure thing imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you all are overstimating the word critics on this awards.Even they called themselves the “best oscars predictors”.

You’d think they’d want to be a bit subtle about it. It’s embarrassing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

Curious to see which movie they go for best film. My money is on roma, but I could see the favorite, a star is born, or black klansman winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The CW.

Thanks, I wouldn’t have looked for it on that network! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions:

Picture: Roma
    Director: Alfonso Cuarón
    Actor: Bradley Cooper
    Actress: Glenn Close
    Supporting Actor: Richard E. Grant
    Supporting Actress: Regina King
    Young Actor/Actress: Elsie Fisher
    Ensemble: The Favourite

Original Screenplay: The Favourite
    Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman
    Cinematography: Roma
    Production Design: The Favourite
    Editing: Roma
    Costume Design: Black Panther
    Hair & Makeup: Black Panther
    Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War
    Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    Foreign Language Film: Roma
    Song: Shallow
    Score: First Man

Action Movie: Black Panther
    Comedy: The Favourite
    Comedy Actor: Christian Bale
    Comedy Actress: Olivia Colman
    Sci-fi or Horror Movie: Hereditary

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  MKnight98.
    ReplyCopy URL
    HarmonV
    Participant
    Topics:

If Close wins Actress, Colman wins Comedy Actress.

If Colman wins Actress, Blunt wins Comedy Actress.

IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 915 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.