Home Forums Movies Did Geraldine Page Come Close to an Oscar Win (until she won in 1985)

Did Geraldine Page Come Close to an Oscar Win (until she won in 1985)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
teri
Blanche
Elazul
  • keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Just wondering people’s opinions on whether or not Geraldine Page was even close to a win on any of her seven nominations prior to her win for 1985’s “The Trip to Bountiful”. She is one of my favorite actresses of all time.
    Her nominations were:
    1953 Hondo
    1961 Summer & Smoke
    1962 Sweet Bird of Youth
    1966 You’re a Big Boy Now
    1972 Pete n Tillie
    1978 Interiors
    1984 The Pope of Greenwich Village
    1985 The Trip to Bountiful

Any thoughts?

Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

She would have 100% won for Interiors had she campaigned where she belonged, in Best Supporting Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

She would have 100% won for Interiors had she campaigned where she belonged, in Best Supporting Actress.

I agree. She was haunting in Interiors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I know people have debated this specific category for years but I think she came in second for Sweet Bird of Youth in 1962. She was probably second in 1984 for Pope of Greenwich Village as well

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

What strikes me about those nominations is how different those roles are.
    I can’t answer your question specifically, but I know she received a standing ovation when she finally won.
    As far as I’m concerned she elevated every film she was in.
    She left us too soon.
    One of the greatest.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Perhaps, but then again the temptation to award Maggie Smith with an Oscar for losing an Oscar in her film may have been too strong regardless.

I’m still not sure which category Page truly belongs in in Interiors. It’s one of the few genuine borderline cases. I’d have to watch it again to decide.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Maggie Smith would have won for California Suite against Geraldine if she were nominated in Supporting for Interiors.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Geraldine Page likely came in third (behind Linda Hunt & Cher) for the Supporting Actress Oscar in 1984. The year she was nominated for “Interiors” the category was loaded with great performances……same when she was nominated for “Pete n Tillie”.

ReplyCopy URL
    marcelo
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Geraldine Page likely came in third (behind Linda Hunt & Cher) for the Supporting Actress Oscar in 1984. The year she was nominated for “Interiors” the category was loaded with great performances……same when she was nominated for “Pete n Tillie”.

Linda Hunt and Cher was nominated in 1983.

ReplyCopy URL
    zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting topic.

Wasn’t Page second for Summer and Smoke? She won the Globe, was nominated by NYFCC.
    The case can be made for Sweet Bird too although maybe Davis was ahead of her. Interiors is another tricky one – I believe she was the second in lead and would have been behind Smith in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I think she was second in 1962, one of the strongest years in history for the category.

1. Anne Bancroft
    2. Geraldine Page
    3. Bette Davis
    4. Katharine Hepburn
    5. Lee Remick

Maybe 1978 for “Interiors” as well, even though Ingrid Bergman was playing similar character in a real Bergman movie so maybe she was ahead of her. Jane Fonda winning over both of them was unfortunate.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Maggie Smith was able to beat Maureen Stapleton in Interiors even though Stapleton had an overdue narrative and a stellar reputation. I too think Smith would have beat Page too if Page had been in supporting.

Seeing Smith win for playing an Oscar loser was just too good an inside joke for them to pass up. (and she is really funny and even touching at points in the film.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s ironic is that at GG Maggie Smith was in the lead category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s all speculations, as I don’t even have the slightest idea how things came along back then, but there are several factors to take under considerations for 1984:

1. Page wasn’t even a Globe nominee (which wasn’t a huge issue and actors still can win without a Globe nod), but it comes to show that the press wasn’t all about how overdue she was.
    2. Page didn’t have any precursors (which back then wasn’t a huge thing in supporting, judging from Geena Davis’s 1988 win and Don Ameche’s win in 1985), but it still means a lot for such an overdue nominee.
    3. Christine Lathi won the New York Film Critics Circle Award that year in supporting (with Oscar winner Peggy Ashcroft taking lead actress there). I’ve always been a bit surprised by how powerful the NYFCC was back then in the supporting categories. Throughout the 80s, five (or six, if you count Ashcroft) of the actual Oscar winners were NYFCC winners as well. In many cases, they didn’t have the Globe win on their side but the oldest and most powerful critics’ group was pushing them. In the 80s, only four of the Globe winners in supporting actress went on to win the Oscar as well.
    4. Page’s film got ONE nod only – for her performance. Lindsay Crouse was in a best picture nominee with wins for acting and writing. She certainly had much support.

And of course, pure speculation but I don’t think that Page was a top 3 contender in 1984. I believe Lathi and Crouse were ahead of her.

Of all the years, I don’t think she was second at all. In 1962, I believe it was either Page or Davis coming in second, so she was close but I believe Davis, being the legend and all, was closer.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

You could be right, although my hunch is she was 2nd in Greenwich, which gave her the momentum to win for Trip.
    And really, her few scenes mopped the floor over her costars.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.