Home Forums Movies Did Hopkins, McDormand and Colman (2018) prove you don’t have to campaign?

Did Hopkins, McDormand and Colman (2018) prove you don’t have to campaign?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Chitanda170
wolfali
M: The Original
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Hopkins and McDormand didn’t even bother turning on the computer for the zoomed awards.

Who else hasn’t campaigned (Mo’Nique famously)?

Did Zellweger campaign much last year? I don’t recall seeing her too much. Joaquin? I know he did 60 Minutes but much else?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Only if you are a veteran in a top contender with wide visibility.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Only if you are a veteran in a top contender with wide visibility.

But no one knew who Oliva Colman was in 2018 and she beat a legend.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But no one knew who Oliva Colman was in 2018 and she beat a legend.

She was known in European and British cinema, she had two key precursors under her belt, was the critical darling of the season (like Hopkins and McDormand) and her film was nominated for 10 Oscars.

I’d argue that if you’re a young newcomer (Brie Larson for example) then it’s a necessity to campaign if you want to seek a win but if all the cards are set out right and you have so much passion rallying behind you, it doesn’t matter so much.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Yes. I should have said no one knew her in the US.

But being the precursor darling doesn’t always work…see Toni Collette and Lupita. (but I guess they were in horror films so that explains that.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But being the precursor darling doesn’t always work…see Toni Collette and Lupita. (but I guess they were in horror films so that explains that.)

Yes but neither of those two were in across the board Oscar players and as you said both vehicles had genre limitations.

My point was more that in a scenario with the right visibility, passion for your performance (on a critical and industry level) and vehicle, campaigning isn’t so much of a necessity. That’s what McDormand, Colman and Hopkins’ wins have in common.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

i think they’re campaign everywhere ….. you miss something here…. the way they do Festival film the way they campaign their self….

The Father & Nomadland is everywhere  even in the film festival that you dont know

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Even if it may seem some actors are winning without campaigning, their films are overall campaigned which obviously increases their visibility as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Individually they did not campaign BUT their films are everywhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Passion means a lot these days. I’ve noticed that myself. But, Frances and Anthony films touched people to the core. I knew people would connect to McDormand because of the growing homeless (houseless) population. This year acting winners represented passion in my opinion.

There were some who were hurt by campaigning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

was the critical darling of the season (like Hopkins and McDormand) Hopkins a critics darling this season? He came up short with the critics groups, real short

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

No Mo’Nique proved that and her career suffered as a consequence

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

My point was more that in a scenario with the right visibility, passion for your performance (on a critical and industry level) and vehicle, campaigning isn’t so much of a necessity.

Isn’t some “campaigning” usually needed to create visibility and passion, at least before the nominations for awards are decided upon?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

I think that if your film is big enough you don’t need to campaign, there’s enough visibility and the performance speaks for itself, that’s exactly what happened with Joaquin and Joker.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

No Mo’Nique proved that and her career suffered as a consequence

I hate that she experienced that but there were heavy hitters that were upset with her. Legend Orson Welles said that “Hollywood is all about power/ego” and he was right. The big names were pissed that Mo Nique did not campaign and their egos were bruised when she won. MoNqie called out the system but was blackballed and we know why…

Frances and Anthony are held high for not campaigning (as they should be) but a Black woman must play by the rules. Or she is difficult.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.