Home Forums Movies Did Hopkins, McDormand and Colman (2018) prove you don’t have to campaign?

Did Hopkins, McDormand and Colman (2018) prove you don’t have to campaign?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Chitanda170
wolfali
M: The Original
  • Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Not in a single bit. All of them were household names (at least Colman in UK) and their films were big BP contenders that made sure to send screeners to members early on. Plus the countless events and Q&As. Frances only didnt attend the televised precursors but I actually think she did much more interviews for this one than, say, 3BB (which was also a heavily campaigned film)

Regardless of that, Frances and Hopkins wins were great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck didn’t campaign

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Casey campaigned a lot, he did those actors roundtables and an actors on actors with Nicole Kidman

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Did Chloe Zhao do much campaigning this season? I don’t remember her doing much either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Did Chloe Zhao do much campaigning this season? I don’t remember her doing much either.

Her movie won the Golden Lion in Venice, I think that’s enough campaign for her

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Both campaigned actually. Heck even Joaquin who was anti-awards managed to show up in rallys to make himself visible in the media and was even arrested. Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Both campaigned actually. Heck even Joaquin who was anti-awards managed to show up in rallys to make himself visible in the media and was even arrested. Lol.

He always show up in rallys, i think he was in an anti Trump rally and this was before Joker, but yeah that probably helped him a little, he didn´t have to do it anyway, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

No Mo’Nique proved that and her career suffered as a consequence

Her career didn’t suffer over not campaigning during award season. Her negotiations for the studios went left with her manager-husband. Not budging from demands they considered unreasonable. It wasn’t just dollar amount that was the issue. She can blame whomever she likes but her “daddy” set her up to fail.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Colman’s movie was a big deal. And since it couldn’t win the technical categories due to obligations voters had to Black Panther and Green Book. Nor upstage Roma in director they went with Colman assuming others would take care of Close in the end.

A pity vote for a deceased actor without passion for the performance cost Boseman. Especially in the extended season. McDormand’s movie is the best picture and director front runner and she’s the entire reason for that. Also, her category was split multiple ways passion wise. It was an easier path to victory than most of us could possibly assume.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Casey campaigned a lot, he did those actors roundtables and an actors on actors with Nicole Kidman

Phoenix campaigned his own way, he didn’t participate at roundtables or “Actors on Actors” interviews, but he did that 60 Minutes interview with Anderson Cooper and participated in a sort of podcast show of his own sisters.

The man, despite being notoriously nonconformist, wanted that trophy as much as any other person out there and campaigned.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Brad Pitt didn’t campaign either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Brad Pitt didn’t campaign either.

He did. It’s actually funny because I remember him saying in an interview he wasn’t going to campaign, but then he said his comments were taken out of context. He did the Actors on Actors roundtable with Adam Sandler, was on the cover of GQ magazine, was chosen and interviewed as part of a piece the NYT did on the 10 best performances of the year. He also appeared on Ellen and Jimmy Fallon’s shows (those appearances were for Ad Astra, but it still helped boost his campaign).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Phoenix campaigned his own way, he didn’t participate at roundtables or “Actors on Actors” interviews, but he did that 60 Minutes interview with Anderson Cooper and participated in a sort of podcast show of his own sisters. The man, despite being notoriously nonconformist, wanted that trophy as much as any other person out there and campaigned.

I agree about him wanting an Oscar. I strongly suspect someone helped him with his speech at the SAG awards last year. It wasn’t as rambling as the one he gave at the Golden Globes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Phoenix campaigned his own way, he didn’t participate at roundtables or “Actors on Actors” interviews, but he did that 60 Minutes interview with Anderson Cooper and participated in a sort of podcast show of his own sisters. The man, despite being notoriously nonconformist, wanted that trophy as much as any other person out there and campaigned.

I remember he made some podcasts to promote and discuss his movie, nothing more, maybe the only thing he did to campaign was that 60 minutes interview.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.