Home Forums Movies Didn't John Williams deseved to win in 2016?

Didn't John Williams deseved to win in 2016?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Emil Petrov
FairWeatherAf..
Human Bartender
  • Profile picture
    Emil Petrov
    Topics:

OK, I watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens again and I must say that for me John Williams was the true winner for Original Score at the Oscars. The music was amazing all around. Perfect use of the Star Wars themes with large amount of original music and new themes.

I belive Enio Morricone won for the Hateful Eight only bacuse of the ”due” factor and his age. His score was very good, but it was only 3-4 tracks and was inferior to John Williams work.

Do you agree with me?

Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

No.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emil Petrov
    Topics:

No.

What a fantastic and deep answer! It completely explaned why you think so. Smart and insightful. Answer of the year!

PS: Please mods, delete this thread! Obviously no discussion can be made here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I love John Williams with all my heart, but Morricone was the right choice. There’s not a doubt in my mind abut that.

On the topic of that year’s original score, Junkie XL’s snub was awful. Aside from Ennio, he had the best score that year.

Let’s Go Bucks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emil Petrov
    Topics:

I love John Williams with all my heart, but Morricone was the right choice. There’s not a doubt in my mind abut that.

On the topic of that year’s original score, Junkie XL’s snub was awful. Aside from Ennio, he had the best score that year.

Thank you! Now this is an actual answer and I respect your opinion.

And hell yes that Tom Holkenborg was criminally snubbed for at least nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Michael Giachino’s for Inside Out was even worse. That was my favorite score of the year in 2015.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

The Force Awakens was lazy rehashes of his previous scores. Happy Morricone finally won one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Filmatelist
    Topics:

The ironic thing about the SW prequels is that despite how genuinely terrible they all were, Williams’s scores are fantastic, especially PHANTOM and CLONES–the latter of which highlights such a striking disconnect because its love theme has such a beautiful, tragic, romantic quality that the film comes absolutely nowhere close to living up to. It’s a real stunner if you listen to the score on its own terms and not with its rather horrible associations.

So I find it curious that even though I’ve found the scores for Ep 7-9 rather rudimentary by comparison (not bad, but not nearly as distinctive as I’d hope for), AMPAS now feels comfortable rubber stamping Williams across the trilogy the way they recoiled from doing so for the prequels. The films are certainly better, but the scores aren’t.

Of these most recent efforts, I liked the one for FORCE the best (mostly because of the truly lovely and iconic theme for Rey), but no, I wouldn’t have voted for it over Morricone. Heck, I would have voted for Burwell’s CAROL or Johannsson’s SICARIO over Williams, too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Arthur J. Fleck
    Topics:

It was a strong year for Score. But Morricone deserved.

All I have are negative thoughts

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.