Home Forums Movies EVERYBODY KNOWS (Asghar Farhadi; 2018)

EVERYBODY KNOWS (Asghar Farhadi; 2018)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Foolio
Teridax
Jake
  • Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the new film by acclaimed Iranian director Asghar Farhadi (“A Separation,” “The Salesman”). It’s opening at 71st Annual Cannes Film Festival as well as playing in competition.

“Everybody Knows” will mark the second opening film that is neither in English nor in French since Pedro Almodóvar’s “Bad Education” in 2004. The last movie which opened the festival and competed was Wes Anderson’s “Moonrise Kingdom” in 2012.

Starring Oscar winners (and married couple) Penelope Cruz & Javier Bardem. Trailer was released today. Both actors just entered the Oscar race with this. It’s the best I’ve seen Cruz since “Volver” (though I haven’t caught up on the Versace limited series yet, and I’m fully supportive of her Oscar win for “Vicky Cristina Barcelona”). I’ll watch just about anything Bardem is in, so I’m excited.

LINK:

https://youtu.be/vi9eISYrwXE

EK

Discuss.

Anonymous
    Topics:

This should be an interesting watch. According to imdb, Everybody Knows tells the story of Carolina, a Spanish woman living in Buenos Aires, returns to her hometown outside Madrid with her Argentinian husband and children. However, the trip is upset by unexpected events that bring secrets into the open.

The most intriguing aspect of the film, for me, is that the shoot was in Spain and all dialogue is in Spanish. Director Asghar Farhadi doesn’t speak the language but according to an interview published in Variety, “He has a wonderful intuition and a talent for listening to the music of words.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Which country would this film represent in the Foreign Language category at the Oscars? France? Spain? Italy? Iran?

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved A Separation, hated About Elly, and still haven’t seen The Salesman, so I will be going into this one with a very open mind.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the new film by acclaimed Iranian director Asghar Farhadi (“A Separation,” “The Salesman”). It’s opening at 71st Annual Cannes Film Festival as well as playing in competition.

“Everybody Knows” will mark the second opening film that is neither in English nor in French since Pedro Almodóvar’s “Bad Education” in 2004. The last movie which opened the festival and competed was Wes Anderson’s “Moonrise Kingdom” in 2012.

Starring Oscar winners (and married couple) Penelope Cruz & Javier Bardem. Trailer was released today. Both actors just entered the Oscar race with this. It’s the best I’ve seen Cruz since “Volver” (though I haven’t caught up on the Versace limited series yet, and I’m fully supportive of her Oscar win for “Vicky Cristina Barcelona”). I’ll watch just about anything Bardem is in, so I’m excited.

LINK:

https://youtu.be/vi9eISYrwXE

EK

Discuss.

1) What was the last opening film NOT in English, French and Spanish, though?
    2) Cruz might be at her best since “Volver” but it’s a no-brainer – she’s always at her best when she can speak in her native tongue. At one point in the trailer she’s using this hoarse voice that she used while playing Donatella Versace and we’ll get to see whether it works in the context of the scene.

Judging by the trailer I’m having mixed, ambivalent feelings. Farhadi is one of my favorite filmmakers and premise of him doing film in Spanish with Cruz and Bardem is very intriguing. On the other hand, the storyline seems like a mash-up of his previous movies, in particular “About Elly” (something drastic happens mid-point, ensemble gets to do some digging) and “The Past” (past lovers hide old feelings while dealing with stressful situation). I’m casually optimistic.

If it’s submitted for FLF, I can’t see it representing any other country than Spain.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jake.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

There have been cases before of the country of origin’s language not being the one spoken in the film itself. It’s about who’s paying the bills in the end, I’m guessing, so Iran, unless Farhadi’s funding came from another country.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure the buzz for this was bad, so I’m not getting my hopes up. We’ll find out soon though I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I know a guy who’s seen this at an early screening and didn’t like it at all. The cast makes it a must-watch, though.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.