Home Forums Movies Everything Wrong at the Oscars 2017

Everything Wrong at the Oscars 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Paul Hardister
Mangesh Gaikwad
lovelylovely
  • Mangesh Gaikwad
    Participant
    Topics:

1. The Best Picture Mix-up                          ( Mistakes in %)

PwC – 55%   (probably the accountant was responsible)

Warren Beatty – 20%   (He could’ve just said that it was the wrong envelope and that’s it the mess would’ve been avoided)                                                                     Faye Dunaway – 10% (For not properly seeing the envelope and just saying the name out of excitement )

AMPAS – 15% (They should’ve checked whether it was the right envelope before giving it to Beatty )

2. The Tourist 

This was just worst. . .

‘Gary from Chicago’ served 22 years for attempted RAPE: tourist was released from jail just three days before stunt and met his fiancee Vickie while behind bars after finding God
    (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4266554/Oscars-Gary-Chicago-served-20-years-prison.html)

Even kissed Nicole Kidman , Octavia , Halle Berry’s hand, without their consent. Denzel even married Gary and Vickie .

It’s unclear if the Academy knew anything about the tourists .

3. Casey Affleck – Best Actor 

Brie Larson didn’t clap for him and lot of people were unhappy.

MBTS was nice and his performance too but again the allegations . . .

What else was wrong . . . ? Suggest below

kvothe_snow
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know how the “allegations” had anything to do with Casey winning for his acting. If he was up for a Nobel Peace prize, then I would strongly oppose to the award, but he was competing for acting. With that said, there was nothing wrong with Casey winning. Brie not clapping for Casey was her choice, and she had every right to do that. Again, nothing wrong with Brie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mangesh Gaikwad
    Participant
    Topics:

That accountant that looks like Matt Damon should go on Jimmy Kimmel and explain what happened…………Then the real Matt Damon should come out and sit next to him!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Mangesh Gaikwad
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know how the “allegations” had anything to do with Casey winning for his acting. If he was up for a Nobel Peace prize, then I would strongly oppose to the award, but he was competing for acting. With that said, there was nothing wrong with Casey winning. Brie not clapping for Casey was her choice, and she had every right to do that. Again, nothing wrong with Brie.

I never said that anything was wrong with Brie. It was just a part of the explanation which meant that many people along with Brie didn’t appreciate the win. Even I agree with you , Casey’s performance was the best and it’s my favorite of this decade after Day Lewis (Lincoln) but still they say he was not the perfect choice for the Oscar.  ‘Art and Artist are different ‘ or ‘Art is within the Artist’ something like that , Casey deserved the win .

A lot of magazines and newspapers are trashing The Academy for giving him the award. Just don’t know what to say. . .

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

2. The Tourist This was just worst. . . ‘Gary from Chicago’ served 22 years for attempted RAPE: tourist was released from jail just three days before stunt and met his fiancee Vickie while behind bars after finding God (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4266554/Oscars-Gary-Chicago-served-20-years-prison.html) Even kissed Nicole Kidman , Octavia , Halle Berry’s hand, without their consent. Denzel even married Gary and Vickie . It’s unclear if the Academy knew anything about the tourists .

This is kind of hilarious.  What are the chances?

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

“Brie Larson didn’t clap for him” has got to be the lowest threshold for a bad night I’ve seen. She could have idk shit on the floor if she truly wanted to protest but instead these articles swamping my feeds seemed to forget she gave him a hug that, judging by the look of shock on his face, even he wasn’t expecting. Maybe she was having flashbacks to Kong Island, Rampart, The Gambler? Did she use the chance to whisper something threatening in his ear? Remember for a split second that “Oh yeah, I worked with a dude who was majorly racist in the past but was a bit mum on that front?” Endless possibilities.

Anyway, there were indeed people who didn’t like that he got an award but this was still a universally acclaimed performance that tons of people wanted to see him awarded for, including you as I see in the replies. But mosdef not a Worst Of… yknow… imo.

I propose an alternate #3 Worst:

• Blanca Blanco’s dress and giblets I did not ask to see.
    • Playing off a dude as he tries to talk about his dead wife.
    • Was there no living director who felt like showing up to present Best Director?
    • Who was even there? WHERE WAS EVERYONE??
    ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m curious how you got your percentage breakdown for ur first point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The In Memoriam blunder for Janet Patterson was terrible.

Just discovering and rescinding the Sound Mixing nomination for Greg P. Russell a day before the Oscars was also glaring.

ReplyCopy URL
    aahoto
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t understand all these people saying Larson not clapping for Affleck was a slight. Um, she was presenting the award! She reads the name, holds the Oscar and waits for the winner to go on stage. She even gave him a hug. Mark Rylance didn’t clap for Viola Davis for the same reasons! Where is THAT headline?

And Larson and Affleck not walking off together isn’t some major statement, go back and watch other Acting wins, there are plenty of times the presenter and winner don’t walk off together.

I know Larson has played sexual abuse victims and Affleck has the allegations, so I’m not saying there is no tension whatsoever, but the “didn’t clap” angle is just stupid.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t understand all these people saying Larson not clapping for Affleck was a slight. Um, she was presenting the award! She reads the name, holds the Oscar and waits for the winner to go on stage. She even gave him a hug. Mark Rylance didn’t clap for Viola Davis for the same reasons! Where is THAT headline?

Unfortunately, that’s what makes the best headline. And, of course, people who were overreacting rooting for Denzel to win are going to make a mountain out of an anthill.

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

I blame the debacle 100% on PwC!!!! The friggin dude passing out the envelope was taking selfies with Emma Stone backstage the whole time not looking. That’s why it took so long to figure out what happened, allowing the producers of La La to give speeches for an award that would be taking away from them.

If they don’t fire PwC and replace them with another firm, I’ll lose more respect for them. They made corrections last year over #OscarsSoWhite. They need to fix #AccountantsCantCount

Why would Warren or Faye even think they had the wrong envelope? This is an unprecedented error! It’s so easy to Monday Morning Quarterback this. The number one fear people have is not death, it’s public speaking. Imagine standing there in front of millions of people with that wrong envelope. I think anyone could have and would have made the exact same mistake.

Case in point:
    https://medium.com/@benjaminbannister/why-typography-matters-especially-at-the-oscars-f7b00e202f22#.8xosj9yrk

ReplyCopy URL
    jez89
    Participant
    Topics:

And Larson and Affleck not walking off together isn’t some major statement, go back and watch other Acting wins, there are plenty of times the presenter and winner don’t walk off together.

I know Larson has played sexual abuse victims and Affleck has the allegations, so I’m not saying there is no tension whatsoever, but the “didn’t clap” angle is just stupid.

Great comment. The “not clapping” story was absolutely stupid, as were the stories that tried to analyse her facial expressions as she announced his name. Was she supposed to start fist pumping and jumping up in the air?

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Why would Warren or Faye even think they had the wrong envelope? This is an unprecedented error! It’s so easy to Monday Morning Quarterback this. The number one fear people have is not death, it’s public speaking. Imagine standing there in front of millions of people with that wrong envelope. I think anyone could have and would have made the exact same mistake.

Why would they think they had the wrong envelope? Hmm… I don’t know. Maybe because they were giving out Best Picture and it said Emma Stone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

Why would they think they had the wrong envelope? Hmm… I don’t know. Maybe because they were giving out Best Picture and it said Emma Stone.

You would have a point if it ONLY said Emma Stone, which it did not.

Warren recognized that he had been given the wrong envelope. That’s why he paused and was looking around. But before he could explain to Faye, she QUICKLY glanced at the the card because she thought he was delaying to joke around. Yes it had Emma Stone’s name on the card in tiny font mind you, but it also said La La Land. She saw the name of the movie first which just about everyone thought would win including those on this site and said La La Land. Given that she was presenting Best Picture, she was quickly looking for a movie title. She wasn’t proofreading!

PwC made the error they apologized (but shouldn’t be brought back in my opinion). It was 100% their fault. I don’t know why people are still blaming anyone but that one accountant who was too busy taking selfies with Emma Stone to do his job.

Here’s what the card looked like:
    https://medium.com/@benjaminbannister/why-typography-matters-especially-at-the-oscars-f7b00e202f22#.8xosj9yrk

Update: They fired the accountants!
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/03/01/academy-boots-both-pwc-pricewaterhousecoopers-accountants-next-year-oscars/98598564/

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

Mangesh, while I disagree who was at fault for the Best Picture debacle, I do agree with your #2. I didn’t like the Tourist bit either. I thought I was the only one! It went on way too long. The show is extended enough!

So there’s that. Good to day to you 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.