Home Forums Movies Ghost at the 1990 Oscars – questions

Ghost at the 1990 Oscars – questions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
BigJay2012
RobertPius
Zooey the Dre..
  • Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a question regarding Ghost and its strong performance at the 1990 Oscars. The film has a fairly poor metacritic score and judging from today’s perspective, it should be nowhere near nods and wins. But what was it like in 1990? I doubt it was the favorite to take home original screenplay (no precursors, it doesn’t really have the feel of a writing winner). What was the front-runner? But was the film’s best picture nod a surprise as well?

EmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

YOU DON’T TOUCH MY “GHOST”!

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

A popular movie losing its appeal with the populous overtime isn’t the fault of the movie when it had peak popularity during and immediately after award season. Some argue against Whoopi’s win but it met multiple criteria (first Black woman since Hattie McDaniel to win an acting category) those who feel Goldberg should have won for The Color Purple (she was the entire comedic element that made Ghost a cross genre success) also the first Black woman to become a multiple Oscar nominee (it’s supporting actress you’ll live regardless of the category’s victor). The original screenplay victor is based on the popularity of the movie being substantial but not enough for a Best Picture win (also on paper Ghost should have failed as a movie) when something risky on paper works in practice the screenwriter is elevated behind that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

The Original Screenplay win is odd but I guess the competition was weak that year with no other BP nominee in the race. Goldberg is really a lead in Ghost and was an extremely popular contender who had just lost for The Color Purple so she was an easy win.

ReplyCopy URL
    BigJay2012
    Participant
    Topics:

i love Ghost. and Whoopi’s win is well deserved.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I can remember there were gasps at the nomination press conference when it was announced as a Best Picture nominee. Julia Roberts as Best Actress for Pretty Woman also got gasps. Denzel Washington read the nominees. (Don’t ask me how I remember this stuff! It is just stuck up there in my brain.)

I think by the time of the ceremony the feeling was that they sort of would give in to popular opinion and give it the screenplay Oscar since there was no other strong contender.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  RobertPius.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I can remember there were gasps at the nomination press conference when it was announced as a Best Picture nominee. Julia Roberts as Best Actress for Pretty Woman also got gasps. Denzel Washington read the nominees. (Don’t ask me how I remember this stuff! It is just stuck up there in my brain.)

I think by the time of the ceremony the feeling was that they sort of would give in to popular opinion and give it the screenplay Oscar since there was no other strong contender.

I was able to find the nominations announcement on youtube and you’re right. The gasps when Ghost was announced as a best picture nominee… WOW! People were definitely shocked. Well, I am shocked now. How is this film a best picture nominee… How is it a screenplay winner… But hey, 25 years from now people will ask: How did BR get so many nods and wins? And we’ll be like… Well, we don’t know. We didn’t even know in 2019. It just happened. It made no sense, but it did happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoopi Goldberg was clearly the best thing about that movie…that and smart use of “Unchained Melody” during that pottery scene that people find so sexy but always grossed me out (due to no fault of Moore and Swayze).

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a question regarding Ghost and its strong performance at the 1990 Oscars. The film has a fairly poor metacritic score and judging from today’s perspective, it should be nowhere near nods and wins. But what was it like in 1990? I doubt it was the favorite to take home original screenplay (no precursors, it doesn’t really have the feel of a writing winner). What was the front-runner? But was the film’s best picture nod a surprise as well?

Avalon was a box office disappointment. It underwhelmed a lot of people. Then you have Green Card and Gerard depardeu said he participated in rapes and that hurt him and probably the film.

Even the producers were shocked! They were saying they analyzed the reviews and they were majority negative. But it wasn’t about the reviews. The movie was an epic extraordinary phenomenon of massive proportions considered August’s most likely bomb behind Exorcist 3

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  BTN.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  BTN.
    ReplyCopy URL
    BigJay2012
    Participant
    Topics:

Ghost is the epitome of a great commercial film. Patrick, Demi, and Whoopi were all great as well

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Ghost shouldn’t have been nominated for best picture over Avalon, Dick Tracy, Miller’s Crossing and a bunch of other films. The Godfather Part III was another undeserving nominee that year.

For Your Emmy Consideration: Best Comedy Series Sex Education, Comedy Lead Actor Asa Butterfield, Comedy Supporting Actress Guillian Anderson, Drama Supporting Actress Miranda Otto for The Chilling Adventure of Sabrina.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

You can add two great films I adore to the list – Reversal of Fortune and The Grifters.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

You can add two great films I adore to the list – Reversal of Fortune and The Grifters.

Agreed. Two of my favorites too.

Anyone remember where Glenn Close was campaigned? Lead or supporting? That was an odd situation since she was first billed and the biggest star in it but she is comatose through a lot of it. (the scenes she’s in and her narration are excellent though.)

She also had Mel Gibson’s Hamlet out this year where she would have been campaigned as supporting. I wonder if she canceled herself out.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed. Two of my favorites too. Anyone remember where Glenn Close was campaigned? Lead or supporting? That was an odd situation since she was first billed and the biggest star in it but she is comatose through a lot of it. (the scenes she’s in and her narration are excellent though.) She also had Mel Gibson’s Hamlet out this year where she would have been campaigned as supporting. I wonder if she canceled herself out.

As we saw this past Oscar race, they just hate her.

J/K. I thought it’d be a funny throwback to that post-Oscar emotional thread that I participated in.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.