Home Forums Movies Glenn Close says Fernanda Montenegro should have won the Oscar in 1999

Glenn Close says Fernanda Montenegro should have won the Oscar in 1999

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
estrelas
gabspss
Lady Bird Ronan
Glenn Close says Fernanda Montenegro should have won the Oscar in 1999
Yes, Fernanda should have won
No, Fernanda should not have won
I have not watched Central Station, nor do I have plans to watch it
I have not wathed Central Station, but I wanna watch it
Just let me see the results
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:
    TVFan365
    Topics:

I have not seen any movie in this category but now I’m interested in seeing Central Station. I actually never even heard of this movie (or Hilary and Jackie) prior to Glenn Close mentioning it in that video.

Dear Gold Derby, please add Ibrahima Gueye to the prediction center 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I have not seen any movie in this category but now I’m interested in seeing Central Station. I actually never even heard of this movie (or Hilary and Jackie) prior to Glenn Close mentioning it in that video.

You should. The movie is great and Fernanda Montenegro is fantastic. On Lettterboxd it is the 29th highest rated film in Cinema History.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

On Lettterboxd it is the 29th highest rated film in Cinema History.

Whoah didn’t know that! I’m definitely gonna check it out soon.

Dear Gold Derby, please add Ibrahima Gueye to the prediction center 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lady Bird Ronan
    Topics:

Did someone said Gwyneth was better than Le Blanchett? Lemme laff real quick. Also in The Talented Mr. Ripley they were both good but Cate outshined in what 15 mins that she was in the movie?

FYC:

Best Picture: "Minari"
    Best Director: Chloé Zhao, "Nomadland"
    Best Actor: Delroy Lindo, "Da 5 Bloods"
    Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"
    Best Supporting Actor: Glynn Turman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"

"Don't be a Republican" - Lady Bird Ronan

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Army Of Me
    Topics:

Montenegro was brilliant in Central Station, but the film did not receive the same reception as Life is Beautiful in the same year. Benigni unfairly defeated McKellen, Nolte, Norton, and Hanks, all performances I find stronger. Being a crowd pleaser and passion pick is usually necessary for foreign films to win outside of their designated categories, and I always found Montenegro was, at best, third place. I personally would have voted for Blanchett in Elizabeth or Montenegro. I also would have given Central Station a much-deserved award for Foreign Language film.

The 71st Academy Awards were odd for me, in terms of acting awards, because three out of the four winners were my least favorite performances of the nominees. Benigni, Paltrow, and Dench were most certainly not my favorites, although the latter did deserve a win for any of her other nominated peformances; she’s an acting goddess. Unfortunately, she won her only Academy Award for a glorified cameo in a Weinstein scam.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Did someone said Gwyneth was better than Le Blanchett? Lemme laff real quick. Also in The Talented Mr. Ripley they were both good but Cate outshined in what 15 mins that she was in the movie?

Even Blanchett got a BAFTA nom for a role that were newly created (and intended to be almost a cameo). She proved  that her character was worth an expansion of arch and story. For Elizabeth, Montenegro was the most deserving, but she was also great. People really try hard to compare a character study to a cute almost-supporting character.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Where did Close say this, and in what context? Why is this a thread topic?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

glenn spilled some tea.

but her saying this while promoting one of the most shameless oscar bait ever is not a good look. she just looks jealous.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

I love that more and more people recognize Fernanda is the superior in that lineup, instead of Blanchett. Probably cause people only watched Goop and Cate over the years for being the most promoted.

Yes, next to Fernanda in that race was Emily Watson. And Central Station was robbed of every undeserved category that Life is Beautiful got.

As of Glenn, my admiration for her only grew more.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lady Bird Ronan
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

Even Blanchett got a BAFTA nom for a role that were newly created (and intended to be almost a cameo). She proved that her character was worth an expansion of arch and story. For Elizabeth, Montenegro was the most deserving, but she was also great. People really try hard to compare a character study to a cute almost-supporting character.

IKR. Her role was newly created and had limited screentime but she ate it tf up. She would have been a worthy nominee IMO. And don’t even start about the comparison. It’s mind boggling.</p>

FYC:

Best Picture: "Minari"
    Best Director: Chloé Zhao, "Nomadland"
    Best Actor: Delroy Lindo, "Da 5 Bloods"
    Best Actress: Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"
    Best Supporting Actor: Glynn Turman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"

"Don't be a Republican" - Lady Bird Ronan

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Glenn saw the reviews for HE and said “f*ck it…I’m about to spill this tea today” 😂

And after watching Central Station…she wasn’t lying 👀

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KingOfMovies
    Topics:

Glenn Close did not shade Gwyneth. It’s only half a clip of what she was saying about “how performances are awarded at the Oscars” especially when they have sole nominations or stuff like that. She said winning an Oscar depends on several other things and not just the performance. It was not shade.

It’s clear that people spreading this news HAVE NOT SEEN THE INTERVIEW. Some people above are saying Popcorn with Peter Travers is a podcast? LOL It’s a talk show on ABC. This shows how dumb people are and they are ready to believe whatever they read on a viral tweet. Embarassing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    dinasztie
    Topics:

Glenn Close did not shade Gwyneth. It’s only half a clip of what she was saying about “how performances are awarded at the Oscars” especially when they have sole nominations or stuff like that. She said winning an Oscar depends on several other things and not just the performance. It was not shade.

It’s clear that people spreading this news HAVE NOT SEEN THE INTERVIEW. Some people above are saying Popcorn with Peter Travers is a podcast? LOL It’s a talk show on ABC. This shows how dumb people are and they are ready to believe whatever they read on a viral tweet. Embarassing.

First of all, thank you for calling it viral. It was my tweet.

I do feel, in a way, dreadfully guilty for not providing enough context. But also, as a great fan of the Ms. Close’s, I am really proud that, at least for the date of the movie’s premiere, she got a break from crazy movie twitter coming at her. I have long been appalled at the ageist and sexist vitriol targeted at her, whose origin I cannot really understand – is it beating Lady Gaga? Is it Albert Nobbs? Is it doing tv before “it was cool” (where, by the way, she legitimized movie people “going tv”, which revolutionalized tv, but that’s a different story).

I also do believe that she was shady – maybe not particularly towards Gwyneth’s performance but The Academy’s practice of favoring movies and performances with the money behind them. Let’s be honest, that played a big part in her losing the last time. Olivia Colman gave a fantastic performance – I personally prefer Glenn’s more quiet and detailed work in The Wife, but that’s my taste and my preference. However, whoever thinks Colman’s win was based on that great performance alone, needs a big fat reality check. She had Searchlight (=Disney) money and probably also Netflix behind her (who wouldn’t want a freshly “crowned” Oscar winner in their show).

Yes, I am actually a bit torn at what I “let loose”, but at least, it started some great conversation and I think/hope it put Glenn in a more positive light in the eyes of the public than a vindictive, sore loser desperately clutching for an Oscar that nowadays so many people seem to make her out to be.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Yeah, Montenegro deserved that by a landslide. Def agree with Close.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.