Home Forums Movies Glory (1989) appreciation thread

Glory (1989) appreciation thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
Gabe Guarin
Dan Jo
ENGLAND
  • Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

I watched the 1989 civil war movie Glory a couple weeks ago and I loved it. For those not in the know it’s about the 54th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. Great performances from Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes, and Andre Braugher, stunning cinematography, editing and sound design. The war scenes are viscerally directed by Edward Zwick. James Horner’s score is incredible, and the flogging scene is still haunting. I’m still baffled that it didn’t get more attention at the Oscars. Should’ve been up for Best Picture and Best Director among other things. What are your thoughts?

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

I like the film however I find Matthew Broderick’s acting terrible. Just my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Morgan Freeman was snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Morgan Freeman was snubbed.

At least he was nominated for playing a caricature in Driving Miss Daisy, right?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

GLORY should’ve been nominated. It would’ve been my fifth choice that year along with CRIMES & MISDEMEANORS, DO THE RIGHT THING, SEX LIES & VIDEOTAPE, and WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.

Despite liking all the actual nominees except for FIELD OF DREAMS, I feel none of them should’ve been nominated though I might consider MY LEFT FOOT.

Of course, the Academy chose the safest movie that dealt with race in some form instead and ended up giving it the win.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Maybe Do The Right Thing and Glory canceled each other out? Two films that showed race relations and racism in a very stark manner and tells us that racism still very much exists versus a jaunty, light-hearted race reconciliation comedy that treats racism like a relic of the past.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Maybe Do The Right Thing and Glory canceled each other out? Two films that showed race relations and racism in a very stark manner and tells us that racism still very much exists versus a jaunty, light-hearted race reconciliation comedy that treats racism like a relic of the past.

Do The Right Thing is confrontational. Glory isn’t. Very much set in a further past than Driving Miss Daisy. But they already had another war movie to embrace, Born On the Fourth of July.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Do The Right Thing is confrontational. Glory isn’t. Very much set in a further past than Driving Miss Daisy.

True, but it doesn’t exactly make you feel good the way Driving Miss Daisy does. And I imagine that flogging scene alone might’ve made the more conservative Academy members uncomfortable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Somehow I expected more from it after the good word of mouth, something fell short for me with this movie…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.