Home Forums Movies Golden Globes 2021 Film Nominee Reactions

Golden Globes 2021 Film Nominee Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yup, this season has gone on for too long, so I now moved The Father to No. 1 as well. Switching twice within a week is a recipe for disaster, but I don’t care. I have heard like 3 times now how much the HFPA looooved this movie. I also wouldn’t read into the director snub that much. I would chalk it up to them wanting to honor Regina. 1917 won last year with director and score nominations; the year before that, BoRhap with just actor. You really don’t need to be nominated across the board to win picture. I am prob wrong, but to hell with it.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Yup, this season has gone on for too long, so I now moved The Father to No. 1 as well. Switching twice within a week is a recipe for disaster, but I don’t care. 

I wish I have the guts like yours. I’m so happy seeing The Father getting support like it deserves. Perhaps, it is the surprise of the night (alongside whoever wins the supporting actor/actress prize).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I wish I have the guts like yours.

Oh believe me, I am probably wrong. But it’s the Globes, and they’re crazy AF.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

where exactly is this supposed tea that the hfpa adored the father?

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

If you take out the Bohemian Rhapsody case in which Bryan Singer would have been nominated if he wasn’t Bryan Singer. To find a Drama winner without a Director nomination you’d have to go back to 1993 with Scent of a Woman (beating out a Sorkin penned courtroom Drama) and a scandal of the HFPA being flown around the world for awards votes, so clearly from a bygone era. 😛

But if there is one rule the HFPA stick to the vast majority of the time it’s films without a Director nom don’t beat films with one. Only two examples in Drama history and holds for Comedy going back to Babe and The Lion King.

Very tempted to go for PYW, but sometimes the obvious thing is the obvious thing.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

If you take out the Bohemian Rhapsody case in which Bryan Singer would have been nominated if he wasn’t Bryan Singer. To find a Drama winner without a Director nomination you’d have to go back to 1993 with Scent of a Woman (beating out a Sorkin penned courtroom Drama) and a scandal of the HFPA being flown around the world for awards votes, so clearly from a bygone era. 😛 But if there is one rule the HFPA stick to the vast majority of the time it’s films without a Director nom don’t beat films with one. Only two examples in Drama history and holds for Comedy going back to Babe and The Lion King. Very tempted to go for PYW, but sometimes the obvious thing is the obvious thing.

Ugh, you’re so right.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Best Director is really messing with me. I don’t know whether the HFPA will go with the popular choice, Chloe Zhao, or use the chance to award long-standing auteur, David Fincher. I feel like it could go either way….

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

💡🎥🎬

“Good morning, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight.” —Truman Burbank, The Truman Show

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Best Director is really messing with me. I don’t know whether the HFPA will go with the popular choice, Chloe Zhao, or use the chance to award long-standing auteur, David Fincher. I feel like it could go either way….

It’s not like David Fincher hasn’t already won a Globe.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

It’s not like David Fincher hasn’t already won a Globe.

Yes, because he already has a Globe for The Social Network, that’s the thing that keeps me from predicting a Fincher win. But I’m just not certain either way.

💡🎥🎬

“Good morning, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight.” —Truman Burbank, The Truman Show

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The thing with Promising Young Woman that I keep thinking about is how Emerald Fennell was nominated in Director. Riley already mentioned how this is already indicative of the film having performed better here than Get Out and Lady Bird (both of which missed Director) but what is key about the directing nomination is how populist and star guiding the HFPA are in this category. Fennell is practically a nobody. Yes she was nominated by the HFPA as a producer on Killing Eve and yes she does cameo in The Crown every so often but this woman is not an A lister in her directorial debut and she’s not more well known than future Academy Award nominees who were snubbed here like Yorgos Lanthimos and Greta Gerwig.

She’s obviously not winning directing over Zhao but her nomination could be a telling sign that Promising Young Woman is this year’s “upset film”. It is after all one of the only three films to have been nominated for all of acting, writing and directing in the Picture race here.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Supporting Actress remains one of those categories where none of them winning makes sense to me

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With regards to supporting actress whilst I am quite confident it will be either Colman or Seyfried it really is quite surprising that the HFPA didn’t move Jodie Foster to lead like they more or less did or attempted to do with everyone else.

I’ve seen people predict her as an upset and I don’t think she has a chance at winning (I have her in 4th) but I felt like it was worth pointing out. Especially considering it looks like the HFPA actually watched this film because they nominated the performance of the film along with her.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I wish Nomadland to win just to see the pundits reactions for putting their money on the wrong film again lol

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

I decided to switch back to Nomadland for Best Picture Drama. I really want this film to win……..

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

@chris-beachum So, I just went to update my Golden Globe predictions and noticed for some inexplicable reason that the Best Supporting Actor category mirrored the Director category.  When I went to edit it, all the spots were blank. The worst part is, I lost my 100/1 odds on a Leto win, which I had for ages! 🙁

💡🎥🎬

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2021 Film Nominee Reactions’ is closed to new replies.