Home Forums Movies Golden Globes 2021 Film Predictions (Make Your Picks Today)

Golden Globes 2021 Film Predictions (Make Your Picks Today)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 188 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
40 mins ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
OneAndOnly
  • Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Even though it is a Ryan Murphy production, I don’t see Boys in the Band being that much of a presence at Globes. Especially if it goes Drama, where the competition is so large. And if it goes Comedy, I see the HFPA going more towards The Prom since that has a larger presence then Boys in the Band. It’s biggest chance for a nomination seems to be Screenplay. But since Screenplay is only one category and has numerous other competitors with more buzz, I think we’re looking at Globes shut out here.

FYC Oscars: Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mark Rylance (Trial of the Chicago 7), Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Soul (Best Picture, Best Animated Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay)

FYC Golden Globes (TV): Ted Lasso (Best Comedy Series), Jason Sudekis (Best Actor in a Comedy Series), Hannah Waddingham (Best Supporting Actress), The Boys (Best Drama Series), Anthony Starr (Best Actor in a Drama Series)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Can we get Happiest Season in the prediction center? I’m surprised people aren’t talking that much about this one, as I see it as an obvious Comedy/Musical contender. It has a confirmed Hulu release now. I think it’ll easily snag Picture and Actress for Stewart.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Caelin Cripps
    Topics:

Since Hudson is now out for the season, I believe there is a consensus five for Drama Actress (unless Andra Day is a spoiler of course):

Adams, Davis, Kirby, McDormand, Winslet

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Caelin Cripps
    Topics:

Current predictions:

Motion Picture – Drama
    Hillbilly Elegy
    Mank
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
    Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    French Exit
    On the Rocks
    The Prom
    Promising Young Woman

Actor – Motion Picture Drama
    Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
    Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Tom Hanks, News of the World
    Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    Gary Oldman, Mank

Actress – Motion Picture Drama
    Amy Adams, Hillbilly Elegy
    Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    Kate Winslet, Ammonite

Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
    Sacha Baron Cohen, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    James Corden, The Prom
    Max Harwood, Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
    Bill Murray, On the Rocks
    Andy Samberg, Palm Springs

Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
    Rashida Jones, On the Rocks
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    Jo Ellen Pellman, The Prom
    Michelle Pfeiffer, French Exit
    Meryl Streep, The Prom

Supporting Actor – Motion Picture
    Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Charles Dance, Mank
    Leslie Odom Jr, One Night in Miami
    Mark Rylance, The Trial of the Chicago 7

Supporting Actress – Motion Picture
    Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman, The Father
    Saoirse Ronan, Ammonite
    Amanda Seyfried, Mank

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My personal views about Borat aside there’s no denying that Sacha Baron Cohen is in a very good position to win Comedy/Musical Actor but if Bill Murray goes Lead here are we underestimating him winning? After all whilst in the Comedy/Musical Actor category the HFPA aren’t as sheepish as they are in Actress (there’s a reason why Mulligan is being considered as one of the frontrunners of her category and Patel isn’t in his) Murray is beloved by the HFPA (he has 6 nominations) and he’s in a Sofia Coppola film that even though I find it ok is the closest she’s ever getting awards wise to the level of Lost in Translation.

I will say SBC is locked for the win imo if Murray goes Supporting.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Even if he runs supporting everywhere else, I think Murray will go Lead here. It’s too good of an opportunity for a win to pass up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

My predicted winners (could wins in parentheses)

DRAMA FILM: Mank (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    DRAMA ACTOR: Anthony Hopkins (Daniel Kaluuya)
    DRAMA ACTRESS: Amy Adams (Viola Davis)
    COMEDY/MUSICAL FILM: Happiest Season (On the Rocks)
    COMEDY/MUSICAL ACTOR: Bill Murray (Sacha Baron Cohen)
    COMEDY/MUSICAL ACTRESS: Carey Mulligan (Rashida Jones)
    SUPPORTING ACTOR: Leslie Odom Jr. (Charles Dance)
    SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Glenn Close (Amanda Seyfried)
    DIRECTOR: David Fincher (Chloé Zhao)
    SCREENPLAY: The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Mank)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

COMEDY/MUSICAL FILM: Happiest Season

Interesting. I personally would say Borat 2 and Promising Young Woman have a better chance because they are likelier Oscar contenders but I’m intrigued by this prediction.

Even The Prom.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

So Clayton seems to have seen Wild Mountain Thyme and thinks Blunt/Dornan will be competitive at the Globes.

The Duke and Wild Mountain Thyme seem like stuff that could surprise at the Globes.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Interesting. I personally would say Borat 2 and Promising Young Woman have a better chance because they are likelier Oscar contenders but I’m intrigued by this prediction.

I am seriously surprised that no one else is really considering this movie even for nominations. I think it’s gonna be BIG. I could be wrong, but when we see the trailer drop (probably soon), the Internet is going to lose its mind. This type of gay romantic comedy is exactly what people have been asking for for a LONG time. We kind of got it with Love Simon, but the romance in that was secondary, so this fits the rom-com bill even better. Even without that, the cast alone is going to create so much hype. Kristen Stewart, Mackenzie Davis, Mary Steenburgen, Victor Garber, Alison Brie, Aubrey Plaza, Dan Levy, need I say more? And the fact that it’s written and directed by probably the most high-profile lesbian in Hollywood (besides the Ellens) will make the narrative even stronger. Its Hulu release will probably hurt it a little bit, as it likely would’ve done better in a more accessible theater release, but with that not being an option right now, I think it’ll be able to get a ton of buzz nonetheless. Unless it’s absolutely terrible, I feel confident saying that the audience reception to this is going to be overwhelmingly positive. If it can get the critics on its side, I think this will be the Crazy Rich Asians type underdog of the 2021 awards season. I’m also predicting it to get a SAG Ensemble nod.

My prediction for it to win Comedy Film is bold, I will admit, especially because the Globes tend to try to go more highbrow than holiday romantic comedies with wins. However, while Borat, On the Rocks, and Promising Young Woman seem like they’re win-competitive in the acting categories, none of them really seem like a strong Picture winner to me. I think Borat pushes the controversial line a little too much, On the Rocks doesn’t push it enough, and PYW seems like mostly a Mulligan vehicle (a la Dolemite or Rocketman). I think this emptier race will depend most on what can combine critical and audience hype the best. I really believe Happiest Season will be the biggest comedy with audiences, so if it can get the critics on its side, combined with the strongest narrative of the contenders, I think it has a VERY good chance at taking the top prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So Clayton seems to have seen Wild Mountain Thyme and thinks Blunt/Dornan will be competitive at the Globes.

The fact he hasn’t even mentioned frontrunner Carey Mulligan at least once tells me that this article shouldn’t be taken so seriously.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Borat pushes the controversial line a little too much, On the Rocks doesn’t push it enough, and PYW seems like mostly a Mulligan vehicle (a la Dolemite or Rocketman). I think this emptier race will depend most on what can combine critical and audience hype the best. I really believe Happiest Season will be the biggest comedy with audiences, so if it can get the critics on its side, combined with the strongest narrative of the contenders, I think it has a VERY good chance at taking the top prize.

Interesting. Maybe I’ll wait to see how it goes before I predict it.

I would actually argue that Promising Young Woman could go from 2 (Picture, Actress) to 4 (Screenplay, Song) nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Unless there’s a new contender who really blows some minds or a surprise category switch, I think the win will pretty easily be Mulligan’s. The HFPA LOOOVES to be the first to award an under-recognized performer, and Mulligan fits that bill perfectly. General audiences are not going to enjoy French Exit. Rashida Jones’ performance was very good but too slight and understated, and eyes on that movie will be focusing on Murray. After winning so many awards Streep needs an iconic/undeniable role or performance to win, of which The Prom will be neither. The Eyes of Tammy Faye won’t be released in time.

The only other person I could see snatching it from Mulligan would be Kristen Stewart. But while she’s gaining more respect (that she deserves), I still think she has traces of that unfortunate “bad actress” stigma hovering around her. A nomination will be a start, but she’ll have to wait to get a few more big acclaimed projects under her belt before she can make it to the big leagues with wins.

Long story short, I’ll be shocked if anyone but Mulligan takes it with the race we’re looking at now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I swear Disney is gonna campaign Hamilton and it’s going to to get a bunch of nods for no good reason. Variety is saying Disney is planning on it sooo…

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is Mulligan’s to lose. I don’t know about French Exit but even people who have seen Promising Young Woman and didn’t like it say that Mulligan is win worthy (I liked both the film and her performance but that’s just me) and I think Mulligan is actually a threat for winning CC as well if she wins the Globe. That Drama Actress Globe category is so uncertain and if Ma RaineyPieces of a Woman and Hillbilly Elegy aren’t films critics rave about then the Critics Choice will go with the person who they think is winning and who is the likeliest to win the Globe.

I don’t see Meryl winning unless somehow she gets win competitive for the Oscar (which is nearly impossible), Evan Rachel Wood is great but I think the nomination is her prize and Anya Taylor-Joy is winning on the TV side instead. The only threat here really is from Jones if On the Rocks over-performs but it would be weird to see her win a Comedy Globe for a dramatic performance (I mean at least Promising Young Woman was When Harry Met Sally meeting a more dramatic and darker Killing Eve).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.