Home Forums Movies Golden Globes 2021 Film Predictions (Part 2)

Golden Globes 2021 Film Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 392 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 mins ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Matthew_anzal..
OneAndOnly
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The Father is definitely not happening in Best Drama Film with this messy campaign from Sony. I think it’s gonna have the same fate as Little Women (another Sony film) last year. The HFPA will only nominate Hopkins and Colman (I’m not totally sure about her though), but it’ll still happen in Picture and Screenplay at the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The Father is definitely not happening in Best Drama Film with this messy campaign from Sony. I think it’s gonna have the same fate as Little Women (another Sony film) last year. The HFPA will only nominate Hopkins and Colman (I’m not totally sure about her though), but it’ll still happen in Picture and Screenplay at the Oscars.

I think you’re probably right. I never had The Father in Drama film anyways, but I just took Florian Zeller out of Director because of SPC’s botched campaign.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Little Woman was a late release so it’s absences were excusable. We’ve been talking about the father for what feels like a half a century. Maybe people dont like it as much as film twitter?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

My thought as well. Originally I was sure The Father would be a shoe-in, but not anymore. It’s interesting, because it seems to be a very “Globesey” film…

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I don’t think The Father is a shoo-in but at this point, there’s no reason to believe it’s not a contender for Picture, Screenplay, and Director noms.

Also, got them 100/1 odds for Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

Im keeping an eye on Minari in more categories than foreign language film (still cant believe that its in that category), I have it also in drama actor and screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I feel like the Minari-Globes backlash could actually help it since they won’t want to seem like they’re dismissing it. So I wouldn’t be surprised if it got into screenplay, lead actor as well as supporting actress and maybe even director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Actress – Drama

1. Frances McDormand – Even if when it comes to the win she ends up being 5th she is still the safest when it comes to the nomination on the basis that she’s Frances McDormand delivering her career best performance in the Best Picture frontrunner.

2. Viola Davis – The critics awards have proven that even if she is not winning as many awards as Mulligan or McDormand that Viola Davis is still in this race. The HFPA haven’t been very receptive when it comes to giving Davis wins but she’s one of the biggest stars in Hollywood in a baity August Wilson adaptation and transformative performance.

3. Carey Mulligan – Again the critics awards have given the consensus that (at least until the televised awards) Davis, McDormand and Mulligan are all currently leading this race. Some voters will feel a duty to nominate her for this topical film but she has almost everything going for her that I honestly can’t see a situation where she doesn’t at least get the nomination. She fits the mould of the previous nominee that is welcomed back after 10 or so years away from the Oscars that we usually see every year. She’s in a film distributed by a distributor that has a relationship with the HFPA and easily gets nominations in acting at the Globes. She’s in a Best Picture contender that people in the industry are currently raving about. She’s British. I am currently predicting her to win.

———————————————————————————————

4. Vanessa Kirby – To be honest I think she is just as safe and has an equal chance of winning was the other three it’s just there is no such thing as four locks in a category this early on. She’s the typical Globe nominee. Young hot rising star who has proven themselves as an actor before. Commercially successful film. Oscar bait performance that has already won an industry award. Then you have the trend of the Volpi Cup winner for an English language performance going on to get in at the Globes and Oscars, the fact the HFPA may have an IOU for Kirby after snubbing her for the second season of The Crown in spite of her winning a BAFTA and getting an Emmy nod for it… I think she’s in. The question is (in terms of awards trajectory) will she be the Michael Fassbender in <i>Shame </i>of the season or will she be the Charlize Theron in Monster.

5. Zendaya – Unless the reviews are very negative and polarising I think Zendaya is in. She’s one of the biggest stars on the planet AND a rising star and again due to her television awards success the HFPA may feel they have an IOU.

6. Sophia Loren – Cinema icon in her comeback and perhaps her final on screen role. Whilst I am quite confident in the top 5 here it is worth baring in mind that those top 5 all have a chance at winning which Loren doesn’t. That doesn’t mean they all will get nominated (even though I think they will). If she misses the Globes she’s finished this awards season.

7. Robin Wright – Overdue veteran, potential Sundance buzz and the HFPA have liked her more than other awards bodies (nominating her for Forrest Gump and sticking with her for House of Cards for one more season when they dropped the show and Spacey). She also is in a Focus Features film. The only reason I have her so low is because the film is coming out quite late and Focus have more or less said Mulligan is THE PRIORITY.

8. Kate Winslet – The only reason I have her here is Kate Winslet. I don’t think she’ll get in anywhere else but I am still reeling from when they went for Rosamund Pike for A Private War. They could just throw her a nomination for who she is.

9. Sidney Flanigan – I had her predicted for a long time because of how well she’s been performing with the critics and the trifecta but again because Mulligan is here and she’s Focus’ BIG push the path for her is trickier.

10. Julia Garner – Another buzzy rising star. I think The Assistant has been more widely seen than we think because of lockdown streaming and her performance is one of the most acclaimed and timely of the season. However I think buzz from The Assistant will help Garner more with the TV awards for Ozark than in the film awards.

——————————————————————————————–

11. Jessie Buckley – Buckley is an interesting one because I do think there is a desire to award or nominate her somewhere and she’s had a very big and buzzy year so I would feel comfortable predicting her. But the thing is I don’t see why the HFPA would nominate I’m Thinking of Ending Things (I am predicting it in Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars though!) Maybe she benefits with an out of nowhere supporting nod for Fargo (although the show seems pretty buzzless).

12. Elisabeth Moss – Another one who has had a buzzy year and is a two time Globe winner. Moss has gotten nominated at the Globes whenever she’s had “buzzy career highs”. Whether it’s for Mad Men season 4, the first two seasons of <i>The Handmaid’s Tale </i>or Top of the Lake so again you’d expect she’d get in. The only problem is that whilst her performance in Shirley has buzz it more or less came and went (although I won’t be surprised if Neon push her more than Winslet considering how dead Ammonite is). And then in The Invisible Man whilst it didn’t come and go with buzz it’s a horror film that came out almost a year ago. It doesn’t help that the critics also haven’t seemed to have found a consensus as to which is her stronger performance.

13. Rosamund Pike – Well Pike has made it in playing another famous Marie in a just as buzzless film before and this one has a better distributor. Although Amazon doesn’t seem to be doing much in terms of campaigning this film and I think she’ll get nominated (and perhaps even win) for I Care A Lot on the Comedy/Musical side and I don’t think the HFPA like Pike that much to nominate her twice unless she suddenly crashes the Oscar Best Actress race for the latter or has some strange momentum.

14. Rachel Brosnahan – Ah yes The Murderous Mrs. Maisel. Amazon seem to be pushing her a lot here and some HFPA members have praised her performance and the film and she’s someone who has been treated quite nicely by the HFPA (winning twice for a television performance which is a rarity). The only problem I have is that whilst her performance was excellent it doesn’t strike me as one I can see getting nominated for any awards. Perhaps because the film was a mediocre crime movie?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Trailer for Breaking News in Yuba County, starring Allison Janney, Mila Kunis, Awkwafina, Regina Hall, and Wanda Sykes.

Pretty crazy, but Janney looks good.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Janney looks great but both this and the Kristen Wiig film should have gone to the 2022 awards. They’d have had more momentum.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

This looks great! Hell the whole cast looks great!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Actor – Drama

1. Chadwick Boseman – The winner.

2. Anthony Hopkins – The challenger with a 5% chance.

3. Riz Ahmed – Apart from Ethan Hawke no Gotham winner for Actor has ever missed the Globes. Hawke’s film (which I loved) was a commercial flop and came out too early. Neither of those are detriments Ahmed needs to be worried about. His film is distributed by Amazon (who the HFPA like more than any other body does), he’s British an Emmy winner and a previous nominee (which as we know from previous experiences does help). He’s in.

4. Delroy Lindo – After the announcement of Spike Lee’s children being the HFPA ambassadors I feel it’s almost a certainty Da 5 Bloods is going to over-perform. At worst Lindo feels like the veteran who has early win buzz and gets shut out on nominations day. Although to be fair I am in the minority as I think it will do better with the televised awards than people expect.
    5. Tahar Rahim – This is a wild card passion prediction. I largely have @9 Riley to credit for this thinking but I think Jodie Foster will get in for S. Actress and considering how open that final slot is up in the air I think he could sneak in and get it as the lead (and according to some the MVP) of the film. He’s a European actor who has been rising on both sides of the Atlantic for almost a decade now. He’s BAFTA nominated and what helps him is he has quite wide visibility. He was in The Eddy this year and he’s in the upcoming Netflix show The Serpent which we know some HFPA members have seen.

6. Gary Oldman – I actually quite enjoyed Oldman’s performance but Mank has been under-performing so much with critics and audiences so either he gets in à la DeNiro here imo or he gets shut out at each of the televised. The telling sign for me to take him out was how he missed out at the London Film Critics Circle despite him being a British critics darling and the critics taking to Mank in other categories. His snub in the barren British/Irish Actor category is inexplicable.

7. John David Washington – He’s a big star and his performance looks like it might garner some buzz but I am awaiting responses from critics towards <i>Malcolm and Marie </i>before slotting him in. The buzz seems to be focused on Zendaya thus far.

8. Denzel Washington – As forwardswill said on the TV threads the HFPA aren’t called star f***ers for nothing. Can you imagine the press attention they’d get if father and son Denzel and John David were both nominated? I don’t have room to slot him and his son in though.

9. Steven Yeun – He’s in a BP frontrunner and he’s been campaigning but something feels off about predicting him.

10. Lakeith Stanfield – He has buzz and he does have the profile to get in but Judas and the Black Messiah feels like Jojo Rabbit and Little Miss Sunshine (awards wise). I only expect the acclaimed buzzy supporting performance to get in.

11. George Clooney – Lazy starry name-check and he’s been campaigning a lot.

12. Tom Holland – His performance seems to be acclaimed (his film doesn’t seem to be though) but also can you imagine the headlines if Zendaya and Tom Holland both got nominated?

13. Ben Affleck – This had Oscar buzz contender in a commercially successful film.

14. Jim Parsons – He has the performance and a nomination for him frankly wouldn’t surprise me because he did have the buzz and the acclaim (and Ryan Murphy). Netflix don’t seem to be campaigning <i>The Boys in the Band </i>though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

14. Jim Parsons – He has the performance and a nomination for him frankly wouldn’t surprise me because he did have the buzz and the acclaim (and Ryan Murphy). Netflix don’t seem to be campaigning The Boys in the Band though.

Judging from their FYC ads, it seems their only looking to try and get the film a SAG ensemble nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I think Chicago 7 may sweep the Globes (Picture and Screenplay), and even the Guilds.

The Globes are known to reward basic and undeserving mediocrity over actual superior and more challenging films (look at last year when they decide to go for the basic 1917 over films such as The Irishman and Marriage Story).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

over actual superior and more challenging films (look at last year when they decide to go for the basic 1917 over films such as The Irishman and Marriage Story).

Neither The Irishman or Marriage Story were challenging films.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 392 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.