Home Forums Movies Golden Globes 2021 Film Predictions (Part 2)

Golden Globes 2021 Film Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 514 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Matthew_anzal..
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I just feel that Mank is going to win. Globes love to pick films to win that are centered around Hollywood. Even though Mank won’t win much at Oscars, they love the Golden Age of film making. La La land won 7 of 7 Globes, Once Upon a time in Hollywood won 3 of 5. I think Mank could win Picture, Supp. Actress and possibly Director (?).

Mank is very critical of early Hollywood history now. I think that will hurt it’s chances in Picture and Director.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Yes im hoping Malcolm and Marie over perform at the globes s a modern day classic already. Hope that part of your dreams come true lol

I don’t have it in Drama Film but I do have Sam Levinson being nominated for Director.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Next week, We should know whose announcing nominations and whos getting both lifetime achievement awards

If Marla Gibbs or Betty White don’t get the Carol Burnett Award, we boycott.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Director

1. Chloe Zhao – Winning

2. Spike Lee – His daughters have literally been announced as the HFPA ambassadors this year and if Netflix’s FYC page is to be believed Da 5 Bloods is a top 2 priority for Netflix. He’s getting in.

3. Aaron Sorkin – Feel strangely confident about this prediction. The HFPA love Sorkin and he is probably going to be at least one (if not their only) populist choice they usually have in this category.

——————————————————————————————-

4. David Fincher – He has been popping up at some critics awards with Mank and Oldman missing the Picture and Actor nominations and the HFPA have nominated him thrice (even for Gone Girl) so I think he’s fairly safe although I am also remembering how Damien Chazelle missed for First Man.

5. Regina King – Again someone who feels like a populist choice here. I think One Night in Miami might under-perform but Regina King is a big name and I can see her getting in on the basis of that. It’s not as if it will be out of nowhere (even though it is a left field prediction) because Leslie Odom-Jr. is getting nominated for the same film.

6. Sam Levinson – Son of famous Hollywood director and some reactions have drawn comparisons between his work on this with Cassavates’ on A Woman Under the Influence. Definitely a sleeper for the nomination.

7. Emerald Fennell – Have her in at DGA, BAFTA and the Oscars but on the fence about her here. She’s had such a big year that she feels like she should be a lock at the Globes but this is the same group that has snubbed the likes of Greta Gerwig and Yorgos Lanthimos despite them having a lot of momentum in the directors race and having directed big BP contenders. She’s definitely a contender because she has the momentum as proved by her performance with critics.

8. Lee Isaac Chung – Could benefit from the HFPA-Minari debacle.

9. Florian Zeller – For a group with foreign in their title the HFPA do seem to have a lot of apathy towards foreign directors. Yorgos Lanthimos, Denis Villenueve… I think The Father is a big contender and that Zeller will get nominated but not sure about here.

10. George Clooney – Again someone who could be a populist pick but also he’s been campaigning a lot. Still a long shot for sure though.

11. Steven Soderbergh – I would have found a name-check for the Oscars producer likely earlier on in this race but not one seems to have seen Let Them All Talk. Still possible though.

12. Ryan Murphy – We don’t call the HFPA Ryan Murphy stans for nothing.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Director

1. Chloe Zhao – Winning

2. Spike Lee – His daughters have literally been announced as the HFPA ambassadors this year and if Netflix’s FYC page is to be believed Da 5 Bloods is a top 2 priority for Netflix. He’s getting in.

3. Aaron Sorkin – Feel strangely confident about this prediction. The HFPA love Sorkin and he is probably going to be at least one (if not their only) populist choice they usually have in this category.

4. David Fincher – He has been popping up at some critics awards with Mank and Oldman missing the Picture and Actor nominations and the HFPA have nominated him thrice (even for Gone Girl) so I think he’s fairly safe although I am also remembering how Damien Chazelle missed for First Man.

5. Regina King – Again someone who feels like a populist choice here. I think One Night in Miami might under-perform but Regina King is a big name and I can see her getting in on the basis of that. It’s not as if it will be out of nowhere (even though it is a left field prediction) because Leslie Odom-Jr. is getting nominated for the same film.

6. Sam Levinson – Son of famous Hollywood director and some reactions have drawn comparisons between his work on this with Cassavates’ on A Woman Under the Influence. Definitely a sleeper for the nomination.

7. Emerald Fennell – Have her in at DGA, BAFTA and the Oscars but on the fence about her here. She’s had such a big year that she feels like she should be a lock at the Globes but this is the same group that has snubbed the likes of Greta Gerwig and Yorgos Lanthimos despite them having a lot of momentum in the directors race and having directed big BP contenders. She’s definitely a contender because she has the momentum as proved by her performance with critics.

8. Lee Isaac Chung – Could benefit from the HFPA-Minari debacle.

9. Florian Zeller – For a group with foreign in their title the HFPA do seem to have a lot of apathy towards foreign directors. Yorgos Lanthimos, Denis Villenueve… I think The Father is a big contender and that Zeller will get nominated but not sure about here.

10. George Clooney – Again someone who could be a populist pick but also he’s been campaigning a lot. Still a long shot for sure though.

11. Steven Soderbergh – I would have found a name-check for the Oscars producer likely earlier on in this race but not one seems to have seen Let Them All Talk. Still possible though.

12. Ryan Murphy – We don’t call the HFPA Ryan Murphy stans for nothing.

Agree with your top 5, but Paul Greengrass is definitely ahead of Clooney, Soderbergh and Murphy. He’s campaigning.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Agree with your top 5, but Paul Greengrass is definitely ahead of Clooney, Soderbergh and Murphy. He’s campaigning.

I am a bit wary of Greengrass because of the negative response I’ve seen for his direction from some HFPA members online. He may get votes but it’s not a good sign when members of the HFPA (of all people) are giving your work a critique.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I am a bit wary of Greengrass because of the negative response I’ve seen for his direction from some HFPA members online. He may get votes but it’s not a good sign when members of the HFPA (of all people) are giving your work a critique.

Okay, but I still doubt they liked The Midnight Sky more than this.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Okay, but I still doubt they liked The Midnight Sky more than this.

Well I don’t know about how much they liked The Midnight Sky but they could literally nominate Clooney just because he’s Clooney.

Profile picture
    restlessmao
    Topics:

if Netflix’s FYC page is to be believed Da 5 Bloods is a top 2 priority for Netflix. He’s getting in.   

What do you mean? The six main movies I see on their FYC page are,

1. Ma Rainey

2. Mank

3. Chicago 7

4. Over the Moon

5.Crip Camp

6.Pieces of A Woman

Is there a different page for GG?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What do you mean? The six main movies I see on their FYC page are, 1. MaRainy 2. Mank 3. Chicago 7 4. Over the Moon 5.Crip Camp 6.Pieces of A Woman Is there a different page for GG?

Netflix change what’s in the banner of their FYC page every week. Last week they had Malcolm and Marie in their banner.

To determine what is a big contender for Netflix all you have to do is look at the individual FYC pages for their films. Out of all their narrative films both Da 5 Bloods and <i>The Trial of the Chicago 7 </i>have the most and widest range of FYC material that not all of Netflix’s films have. They have screenplay, directing, acting and music FYCs on both their pages.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Something interesting I found out when I did some digging about who was campaigning through attending the HFPA banquet in October.

– Regina King (<i>One Night in Miami</i>)
    – Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (<i>The Trial of the Chicago 7</i>)
    – Lin Manuel-Miranda (Hamilton)
    – Aubrey Plaza (Black Bear)
    – Zachary Quinto (<i>The Boys in the Band</i>)
    – Eddie Redmayne (<i>The Trial of the Chicago 7</i>)
    – George Clooney (The Midnight Sky)
    – John David Washington (<i>Malcolm and Marie</i>)
    – Millie Bobby Brown (Enola Holmes)
    – Sophia Loren (The Life Ahead)

https://variety.com/2020/scene/news/hfpa-grants-banquet-regina-king-yahya-abdul-mateen-ii-watchmen-1234788477/

Attendees in 2019 included Renee Zellweger, Taron Egerton, Beanie Feldstein, Jon Favreau (The Lion King), Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit) and Julia Butters (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood).

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Man, i’m dreading a Clooney nomination in Directing here, the Globes are such starfuckers..

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Chicago 7 will sweep here. They loooove Sorkin. And it being an accessible crowdspleaser isn’t hurtful either. Usually coattail director wins don’t happen here, so I don’t think Sorkin will win even if the movie wins Picture, Screenplay and maybe Supporting Actor. I think they’ll go with Fincher so they push him for his overdue Oscar and wanting to predict the Oscar director winner.

As of Ma Rainey’s, it’s going home empty handed. It’ll only win costumes at Oscars. Hopkins is still winning Actor. The Father is a theatrical release (unlike Ma Rainey’s) and it’s not going home empty handed. Also, I think it’s a given that Hopkins’ performance is better regardless of narratives. The HFPA will make the upset happen, he’ll win BAFTA too and Oscar. Boseman will win SAG though as posthumous honor and probably CC (if not a tie with Hopkins)

people so grossly underestimating the sentiment for Boseman. The only place I hear about the father is on this forum.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Screenplay

1. The Trial of the Chicago 7 – I mean if they nominated Sorkin for Molly’s Game.

2. Promising Young Woman – Feel quite confident in <i>Promising Young Woman </i>here. It’s (imo) the frontrunner in Original Screenplay at the Oscars and I can’t remember the last time another Original Screenplay didn’t make the cut in this category.

3. Nomadland – It has held up quite a bit in the critics awards in Adapted Screenplay and I don’t see how it would get snubbed in this category after coming so far.

———————————————————————————————

4. The Father – I actually think this one has the right ingredients for a win. It’s got the acclaimed British acting play aspect that both Notes on a Scandal and The Two Popes had. It’s also one fo the buzziest contenders in this category. I think it could even win here.

5. One Night in Miami – Regina King has been wooing the HFPA a lot, its an adaptation of a famous acclaimed acting play and if the HFPA can nominate If Beale Street Could Talk before it crashed and burned they can certainly do so here.

6. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Never underestimate an adaptation of August Wilson.

7. Minari – The HFPA controversy could help it and I see this as a top screenplay contender.

8. Da 5 Bloods – If it over-performs with the HFPA.

9. Mank – I am sceptical about Mank’s chances going forward although I do see a universe where it has enough left to make a final nomination in Screenplay here. Then again the First Man comparisons are tempting.

10. I’m Thinking of Ending Things – I have it in at the Oscars and BAFTAs and it feels like it could get nominated here but again its genre is making me sceptical about a nomination at the Globes of all places.

11. First Cow – If they decide to copy the critics.

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

Screenplay

1. The Trial of the Chicago 7 – I mean if they nominated Sorkin for Molly’s Game.

2. Promising Young Woman – Feel quite confident in <i>Promising Young Woman </i>here. It’s (imo) the frontrunner in Original Screenplay at the Oscars and I can’t remember the last time another Original Screenplay didn’t make the cut in this category.

3. Nomadland – It has held up quite a bit in the critics awards in Adapted Screenplay and I don’t see how it would get snubbed in this category after coming so far.

4. The Father – I actually think this one has the right ingredients for a win. It’s got the acclaimed British acting play aspect that both Notes on a Scandal and The Two Popes had. It’s also one fo the buzziest contenders in this category. I think it could even win here.

5. One Night in Miami – Regina King has been wooing the HFPA a lot, its an adaptation of a famous acclaimed acting play and if the HFPA can nominate If Beale Street Could Talk before it crashed and burned they can certainly do so here.

6. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Never underestimate an adaptation of August Wilson.

7. Minari – The HFPA controversy could help it and I see this as a top screenplay contender.

8. Da 5 Bloods – If it over-performs with the HFPA.

9. Mank – I am sceptical about Mank’s chances going forward although I do see a universe where it has enough left to make a final nomination in Screenplay here. Then again the First Man comparisons are tempting.

10. I’m Thinking of Ending Things – I have it in at the Oscars and BAFTAs and it feels like it could get nominated here but again its genre is making me sceptical about a nomination at the Globes of all places.

11. First Cow – If they decide to copy the critics.

Get Out failed to be nominated for Best Screenplay at the Globes and ended up winning the Oscar…

We’ll have to keep an eye on PYW.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Golden Globes 2021 Film Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.