Home Forums Movies Golden Globes Film Nominations 2018 (Predictions Center Now Open)

Golden Globes Film Nominations 2018 (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 624 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Philip
Marcus Snowden
Andrew D
  • Shatish Raj
    Participant
    Topics:

DRAMA
    Will win: The Shape of Water
    Should Win: Call Me By Your Name

COMEDY/MUSICAL
    Will win: Lady Bird/Get Out
    Should win: I, Tonya

DIRECTOR
    Will win: Guillermo Del Toro
    Should win: Christopher Nolan

ACTOR (DRAMA)
    Will win: Gary Oldman
    Should win: Timothee Chalamet

ACTRESS (DRAMA)
    Will win: Meryl Streep
    Should win: Sally Hawkins

ACTOR (COMEDY/MUSICAL)
    Will win: James Franco
    Should win: James Franco

ACTRESS (COMEDY/MUSICAL)
    Will win: Saoirse Ronan
    Should win: Margot Robbie

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Will win: Christopher Plummer
    Should win: Sam Rockwell

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Will win: Laurie Metcalf
    Should win: Allison Janney

SCREENPLAY
    Will win: Lady Bird
    Should win: Mollys Game

SCORE
    Will win: Phantom Thread
    Should win: Dunkirk

SONG
    Will win: “Remember Me”, Coco
    Should win: None of those nominated!

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    Will win: The Square
    Should win: The Square

ANIMATED FEATURE
    Will win: Coco
    Should win: The Breadwinner

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

Huppert arguably had a worthy performance and I don’t think that critics voted for her to win because of being overdue.

Riva didn’t really have a big presents in the US, so I don’t think that applies.

And Leo wasn’t a case of being overdue with critics, he has won plenty of them before The Revenant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Huppert arguably had a worthy performance and I don’t think that critics voted for her to win because of being overdue.

Riva didn’t really have a big presents in the US, so I don’t think that applies.

And Leo wasn’t a case of being overdue with critics, he has won plenty of them before The Revenant.

A worthy performance can go hand in hand with the actor being overdue. This was certainly the case with Huppert. The role was right so critics took the opportunity to reward her for the performance as well as her long career. This also goes to a lesser degree for Riva who was a respected veteran especially among critics and film buffs, even though her name recognition was not great among general public.

As for Leo for The Revenant, the entire awards season was all about him being overdue for an Oscar, and all the critics jumped on the wagon. If he’d have won an Oscar before, critics would not have showered him with trophies that year. If that’s not proof of critics not being immune to overdue factor, I don’t know what is.

The Oscars dominate the season and this goes for critics too – they don’t hand out their awards in a vacuum. They aren’t immune to wanting to predict Oscars as much as the next person, some consciously and some unconsciously. Someone being considered overdue affects their choices. You are right though that it doesn’t play as big a part among critics as it does in industry ceremonies.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

FINAL PREDICTIONS
    I really think this is going to be a crazy night. A bit of the predicts going around feels a tad too tidy. Not enough surprises.

DRAMA
    Will Win: Shape of Water
    Could Win: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO

DRAMA ACTOR
    Will Win: Gary Oldman
    Could Win: Timothee Chalamet

DRAMA ACTRESS
    Will Win: Frances McDormand
    Could Win: Meryl Streep

COMEDY/MUSICAL
    Will Win: Lady Bird
    Could Win: Get Out

COMEDY/MUSICAL ACTOR
    Will Win: James Franco
    Could Win: Daniel Kaluuya

COMEDY/MUSICAL ACTRESS
    Will Win: Margot Robbie
    Could Win: Saoirse Ronan

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Will Win: Christopher Plummer
    Could Win: William Dafoe

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Will Win: Laurie Metcalf
    Could Win: Allison Janney

DIRECTOR
    Will Win: Guillermo Del Toro
    Could Win: Christopher Nolan

SCREENPLAY
    Could Win: Molly’s Game

ANIMATED FEATURE
    Will Win: Coco
    Could Win: Boss Baby

FOREIGN FILM
    Will Win: First They Killed My Father
    Could Win: The Square

SCORE
    Will Win: Dunkirk
    Could Win: Phantom Thread

SONG
    Will Win: Mighty River
    Could Win: This is Me

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

A worthy performance can go hand in hand with the actor being overdue. This was certainly the case with Huppert. The role was right so critics took the opportunity to reward her for the performance as well as her long career. This also goes to a lesser degree for Riva who was a respected veteran especially among critics and film buffs, even though her name recognition was not great among general public.

As for Leo for The Revenant, the entire awards season was all about him being overdue for an Oscar, and all the critics jumped on the wagon. If he’d have won an Oscar before, critics would not have showered him with trophies that year. If that’s not proof of critics not being immune to overdue factor, I don’t know what is.

The Oscars dominate the season and this goes for critics too – they don’t hand out their awards in a vacuum. They aren’t immune to wanting to predict Oscars as much as the next person, some consciously and some unconsciously. Someone being considered overdue affects their choices. You are right though that it doesn’t play as big a part among critics as it does in industry ceremonies.

If they wanted to predict the Oscars, Oldman would be sweeping.

Leo didn’t need critics awards to win the Oscar. I think you’re off base.

Huppert had always been a critics winner and not a mainstream awards winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keth
    Participant
    Topics:

FINAL PREDICTIONS
    I also think the winners will be all over the place – makes for an exciting, or at least, interesting awards evening… red wine: check.

DRAMA
    Will Win: The Post – I just have this feeling..
    I want to win: Call Me By Your Name – not happening.

DRAMA ACTOR
    Will Win: Gary Oldman
    I want to Win: Timothee Chalamet or Denzel Washington (who I thought was terrific in Roman J. Israel, Esq.

DRAMA ACTRESS
    Will Win: Frances McDormand – where “3 Billboards” will be honored.
    I want to win: Sally Hawkins, but for “Maudie” 🙂

COMEDY/MUSICAL
    Will Win: Get Out
    I want to Win: I, Tonya

COMEDY/MUSICAL ACTOR
    Will Win: James Franco
    I want to Win: oh where is Sebastian Stan in this lineup?

COMEDY/MUSICAL ACTRESS
    Will Win: Margot Robbie
    I want to win: ditto, although a Saoirse win would be cool.

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Will Win: Willem Dafoe
    I want to win: I would like for Rockwell to sneak in here, but Dafoe was terrific in “The Florida Project” so I’d be cool with his win.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Will Win: Laurie Metcalf
    I want to win: Laurie, Allison, or Mary J.

DIRECTOR
    Will Win: Guillermo Del Toro
    I want to win: Christopher Nolan

SCREENPLAY
    I want to win: Greta!!

ANIMATED FEATURE
    Will Win: Coco
    I want to win: I haven’t seen any of the cartoons…

FOREIGN FILM
    Will Win: A Fantastic Woman
    I want to win: Haven’t seen any of these nominees – so looking forward to seeing “A Fantastic Woman” but it doesn’t open here until February.

SCORE
    Will Win: The Shape of Water
    I want to win: Three Billboards, but for Carter Burwell. I love the music he composed for “Wonderstruck”

SONG
    Will Win: Mighty River
    I want to win: Nice song, love Mary J. Blige, and “Mudbound” needs an award.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

For my final predictions, I’m sticking with the theory of only one win per film.

Drama – The Shape of Water

Comedy/Musical – Get Out

Actress (Drama) – Meryl Streep, The Post

Actress (Comedy/Musical) – Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Actor (Drama) – Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

Actor (Comedy/Musical) – James Franco, The Disaster Artist

Supporting Actress – Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Supporting Actor – Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World

Director – Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

Screenplay – Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri by Martin McDonagh

Score – Phantom Thread

Song – The Greatest Showman

Animated – Coco

Foreign – In the Fade

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m torn on Drama Actor. I don’t think that they’re going to give it to Oldman with their history and he’s not campaigning. I had Daniel Day-Lewis in for the longest time.

This is my reasoning for a Daniel Day-Lewis win: If the HFPA figure that Oldman is going to sweep the award’s season after their ceremony, and they don’t like him, they’re going to look for an alternative. They might want to be the ones to give Daniel Day-Lewis his final major award if they think Oldman is going to claim the rest of them.

My problem is that Phantom Thread doesn’t have support besides Day-Lewis. It didn’t get Director or Screenplay. Neither did Call Me By Your Name, and Chalamet is who I changed my prediction to. CMBYN underperformed but got Picture. Phantom Thread didn’t get anything else, but it wasn’t really predicted for anything else for the most part.

I don’t think CMBYN can win any other categories besides Actor so is that where the vote is going to go to? Both Day-Lewis and Chalamet seem like viable alternatives to Oldman but I can’t decide which one.

ReplyCopy URL
    LangeWeaver2
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see Day-Lewis winning, he’s so respected that this group might see it as their way to honor someone they like for the last time while also sticking it to Oldman. But I think they will want to give CMBYN at least one win, and this is really the only place to do that.

I still think Oldman is going to win, but if he doesn’t I think Chalamet is the alternative so they can share the love with all of their nominees in drama.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  LangeWeaver2.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m torn on Drama Actor. I don’t think that they’re going to give it to Oldman with their history and he’s not campaigning. I had Daniel Day-Lewis in for the longest time.

This is my reasoning for a Daniel Day-Lewis win: If the HFPA figure that Oldman is going to sweep the award’s season after their ceremony, and they don’t like him, they’re going to look for an alternative. They might want to be the ones to give Daniel Day-Lewis his final major award if they think Oldman is going to claim the rest of them.

My problem is that Phantom Thread doesn’t have support besides Day-Lewis. It didn’t get Director or Screenplay. Neither did Call Me By Your Name, and Chalamet is who I changed my prediction to. CMBYN underperformed but got Picture. Phantom Thread didn’t get anything else, but it wasn’t really predicted for anything else for the most part.

I don’t think CMBYN can win any other categories besides Actor so is that where the vote is going to go to? Both Day-Lewis and Chalamet seem like viable alternatives to Oldman but I can’t decide which one.

Phantom Thread’s score is nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    pierremg
    Participant
    Topics:

The screener of TSOW just leaked.

ReplyCopy URL
    H. H.
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m torn on Drama Actor. I don’t think that they’re going to give it to Oldman with their history and he’s not campaigning. I had Daniel Day-Lewis in for the longest time. This is my reasoning for a Daniel Day-Lewis win: If the HFPA figure that Oldman is going to sweep the award’s season after their ceremony, and they don’t like him, they’re going to look for an alternative. They might want to be the ones to give Daniel Day-Lewis his final major award if they think Oldman is going to claim the rest of them. My problem is that Phantom Thread doesn’t have support besides Day-Lewis. It didn’t get Director or Screenplay. Neither did Call Me By Your Name, and Chalamet is who I changed my prediction to. CMBYN underperformed but got Picture. Phantom Thread didn’t get anything else, but it wasn’t really predicted for anything else for the most part. I don’t think CMBYN can win any other categories besides Actor so is that where the vote is going to go to? Both Day-Lewis and Chalamet seem like viable alternatives to Oldman but I can’t decide which one.

Phantom Thread’s score is nominated.

Score doesn’t compare to Best Picture. And Day-Lewis was snubbed by most Circles. If they don’t want to give it to Oldman, the only alternative is Chalamet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

The screener of TSOW just leaked.

This is a film that needs to be seen in the theater.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 624 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.