Home Forums Movies Gotham Film Awards 2021

Gotham Film Awards 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 210 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
JV
sarahvsmovies
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Passing was really done dirty tonight. Ruth loss, especially, really hurts. No disrespect to Troy, who was quite good in CODA, but he didn’t come close to what Ruth achieved. Really disappointed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Yeah, CODA and The Lost Daughter, plus international-film contender Drive My Car (boy, that category is so jammed with powerhouses this season), are now riding some fresh momentum,. We’ll see if NBR/NYFCC continue to boost all three. (Reminder: CODA and The Lost Daughter are among the films on the program for Saturday’s Deadline Contenders NYC event.)

Also it looks to be shaping up that (unsurprisingly) CODA is the ensemble indie to watch as precursors continue to weigh in, instead of either Mass or The Humans. Not saying Apple is expert at this game yet, but neither Bleecker Street nor A24 have quite delivered in their promotion of those two films.

Sooo, I’m wondering if Anne Thompson will soon reverse course to reinstate her initial picks of The Lost Daughter among the BP 10 and Colman in best actress (She’s always had the film in adapted screenplay alongside CODA and others). I parted ways with her in “demoting” both TLD contenders – a rare dissension for me! – so maybe this will inspire a rethink. Also, CODA I guess could re-emerge in her BP choices, as well, and I’d like to think Kotsur will jump back into his former supporting-actor slot that’s currently occupied by Leto (Let us pray 🙏 ;)). Thompson earlier had Jones in best actress as well, but man, where’s the room at this point?

If Thompson reinstates Colman, whom will she bump (Chastain, Cruz, Hudson, Kidman, Stewart)? Despite Searchlight’s traditional awards-season potency, I’ll guess Chastain will be the one who’ll have to make way at this point. MGM/UA is banging the drum ridiculously hard for Hudson, and Kidman and Stewart look to be undeniable nominees even if their films aren’t as warmly embraced by the broader Ampas. I think Sony Classics will drive Cruz into contention with critics’ help.

As for “Vulture,” he recently made the same supporting-actor swap (Leto for Kotsur) – what a trend! – but perhaps that’s also reversible now (🙏). Like Thompson, Vulture also demoted CODA out of BP, but to his credit has always kept TLD and Colman firmly in their categories. That strategy is looking v.good today.

Advantage: Vulture.

fyi – Vulture doesn’t follow the screenplay races.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

Overreactions to the Gothams is the funniest start to the season

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Overreactions to the Gothams is the funniest start to the season

I guess they could be – I’m seeing only reactions here however.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Thespian
    Topics:

Passing snub hurt like anything. Hope something better waiting for Tessa and Ruth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OscarWatcher1971
    Topics:

What’s not being talked about it Netflix’s sweep. How is the Netflix factor going to impact on AMPAS this year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Kristen looked amazing. Love that Julianne presented to her too. She has a lot of support in the industry. I saw Elizabeth Banks and Kate Bosworth praising her on Julianne’s Post and Sharon Stone commented on Kristen’s hairdresser’s page about her superb performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Hey, sorry I couldn’t participate live, but I was sleeping. I really didn’t expect a TLD sweep like that. I thought “Passing” was getting something. Happy for Maggie anyway, she did a really good job. I can’t wait to watch her movie (and I have it as my 10th spot in BP). And Troy Kotsur! He was the best part of CODA. Too bad for Ruth Negga, but you can’t say there was no inclusivity (a deaf winner and women all around).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FTomoson
    Topics:

Hey, sorry I couldn’t participate live, but I was sleeping. I really didn’t expect a TLD sweep like that. I thought “Passing” was getting something. Happy for Maggie anyway, she did a really good job. I can’t wait to watch her movie (and I have it as my 10th spot in BP). And Troy Kotsur! He was the best part of CODA. Too bad for Ruth Negga, but you can’t say there was no inclusivity (a deaf winner and women all around).

Wait, how can you say she did a good job without seeing the movie? I can understand the praise making you really interesting in seeing it but it seems like you’ve already made up your mind without actually watching it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Wait, how can you say she did a good job without seeing the movie? I can understand the praise making you really interesting in seeing it but it seems like you’ve already made up your mind without actually watching it.

Well, considering Gyllenhaal has been bagging awards especially the Golden Osella given by juries like Bong Joon-ho and Chloe Zhao, I think it’s not a far-fetched conclusion to say that Maggie “did a really good job” even without seeing the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Exactly. It’s the first time that she writes and directs a movie and she’s winning prizes left and right. It’s pretty clear that “she did a good job”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

What’s not being talked about it Netflix’s sweep. How is the Netflix factor going to impact on AMPAS this year?

They’re gonna get a shit ton of nominations like they always do? They already dominated the nominations so most likely that would reflect on wins.

I repeat, they are big enough to get 3 BP or even 4 nominees from their catalogue. After TPOTD and DLU I thought Passing was gonna be it but might be TLD after all. Also Olivia nomination is as secured as it was for months.

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Lost Daughter yet, but the clips they showed for it really got me hyped – even more than I already was! Olivia, especially, looked riveting so I can’t wait to see her performance.

FYC!!:

Best Picture: The Power of the Dog
    Lead Actress: Renate Reinsve (The Worst Person in the World)
    Lead Actor: Simon Rex (Red Rocket)
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst (The Power of the Dog)
    Supporting Actor: Vincent Lindon (Titane)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Having seen The Lost Daughter, my one concern was whether the film would inspire much passion. It seems that with this impressive sweep, my concern was misplaced. I’m intrigued to see the extent of its support from critics over the next few weeks. Negga losing here is worrisome though.

For Your Consideration:

Carrie Coon, ‘The Gilded Age’ (no I haven’t seen it, but we have no choice but to stan anyway)

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.